The Guitar Thread

Winamp is good for that. Used it for years.

Simple clean music player free with full functions like that.

http://www.winamp.com/index.html

Not sure how much you know, so Iā€™m assuming not muchā€¦
Once you have a guitar that is comfortably playable and holds its tune (two essentials), donā€™t skimp on the amp. After decades of using very ordinary amps (mostly a fender super 60), and thinking it was ok, I finally bought a handwired vox AC15 and fell in love with playing all over again. Assuming youā€™re going electric Iā€™d also recommend a good headphone amp like a ā€œvox amplugā€ or similar so you can practice without anoying anyone.
I had a few lessons when i started at 18 and taught myself after that, practicing chords and scales. Learn as many chords up and down the neck as you can, and practice scales (pentatonic is by far the most common in rock, blues etc). I think what I really could have used but never had was a good mentor - try to find one if you can.
I have a few guitars and like them all at different times depending on my mood and desired tone:

• Early 80s Telecaster usa (bought new, needs new frets now)
  • Gibson Nighthawk 1994 (very versatile, more than just a ā€˜poor manā€™s Les Paulā€™, but half the price)
  • Maton MS2000 (Maton being Australiaā€™s only large volume producer, often overlooked)
  • Fender Catalina steel string acoustic (my first guitar)
  • 70s yamaha classical

Also, think about what guage strings suit you best for your guitars - light strings are easier to play but you will lose tone. Heavier strings donā€™t mean you canā€™t play fast providing you have strong enough fingers - Iā€™ve read that Stevie Ray Vaughan used 13 to 50-something strings, while most players use much, much lighter ones (I like 11-49s on electrics).
Great thread btw.

Thanks BSD. Site says itā€™s unavailable at the moment unfortunately. Changed ownership or something.

Awesome tips CyberBomber. Yeah, Iā€™m very much in the novice stage. Iā€™ve got an iRig with headphones so I donā€™t annoy anyone. But, then people get annoyed that I canā€™t hear them soā€¦ Practicing scales is probably one of the next steps for me now. Have plenty of mentors but not anyone I can jam with at the moment unfortunately.

Thanks BSD. Site says it's unavailable at the moment unfortunately. Changed ownership or something.

Really?.. Try here then mate. Clean site, clean app/install.

Just be sure to hit the GREEN button on the top right that says Download Latest Version (16.37 mb), ā€¦ and not the adā€™s there that say ā€œdownload nowā€ etc.

Sorry, was there meant to be another link?

Lol, ā€¦ yeah, thought it might be handy ā€¦ I just added it.

Personally, I like the ā€œClassicā€ skin, BTWā€¦

What a cool app. Cheers for that.

Have 7 or 8 guitars, currently playing a lot with a '58 les Paul copy modded with slash Seymour-Duncan pick-ups which are poky as all get out.

Recently got my first all valve amp, blown away by the difference in tone compared to the solid state I was using. Not so much when distorted but when playing clean the valve is just in a league of its own.

Got a Maton 325C, Epiphone Sheraton II, a Cort Earth and an Epiphone DR-212 12 string.

Self taught from the Britpop (Oasis), so I basically am a master at open chords and the minor pentatonic scale. LOL.

1 Like

93 floyd rose special strat
mid 2000ā€™s les paul standardā€¦on permanent loan from a mate, but Ive had it long enough to call it mine.
old Cort accoustic that kicks around the living room
Taylor 414 ceā€¦my main squeeze. It truly is a gorgeous guitar in all aspects. Mrs bonz refers to that one as my mistress.

I have many guitars. My first was (is) a 12-string Eko I bought with my first few pays when I was 14. I had been staring at it lovingly and lustingly for a year., walking by it in the window of a music store, for a year prior. I still have it in pristine condition, in it's original brown vinyl cover :)

I taught myself guitar as a teen. No internet, no books - just picking out tunes at first, and then doing something I used to call ā€˜harmoniesā€™ which I later found out where chords, hahaha.

I dropped guitar for sax in my 20ā€™s and taught myself after a few initial lessons. But when kids came along, I stopped as it was too loud despite literally putting a sock in it, and I became too busy and forgot about making music, instead just listening to it.

I picked up guitar again about 8 years ago and did a fair bit of recording, but have hardly touched a guitar in 2 years. Life is too busy again and Iā€™m building up a business. Iā€™ll get back to it.

Songs that were steps - Creedance, Pink Floyd stuff, etc. There are many simple tunes out there to perfect. What do you like playing/listening to?

Yeah, love Floyd. The Who, Beatles, most 70s and 80s punk, REM, Pixies, Nirvana, Queens of the Stone Age, Stone Temple Pilots, that kind of stuff.

get used to drop D tuning for 90s grunge. Its a lot of fun too.

Got a Maton 325C, Epiphone Sheraton II, a Cort Earth and an Epiphone DR-212 12 string.

Self taught from the Britpop (Oasis), so I basically am a master at open chords and the minor pentatonic scale. LOL.

Donā€™t knock the 3 chord wonders, . more money made from that type of tune than any other ,ā€¦ and by boatloads would be my guess.

Does remind me of when I first started playing though, & heard ā€œShiversā€ on the car radio, ā€¦ & thought, oh fk yeah, I love that song, I canā€™t wait to get home & work it out and play it!

2 chords!! Fkn TWO!! ā€¦ I was so disappoint.

It did however become the 1st song any student walked out able to play after the first lesson. Worked a treat for that.

1 Like
Winamp is good for that. Used it for years.

Simple clean music player free with full functions like that.

http://www.winamp.com/index.html

Winamp was awesome. The new owners havenā€™t done anything yet but I still use the final edition.

A late 70ā€™s Ibanez Artist Ar-100, in Sunburst. Love at first sight. I felt like a northern suburbs Boz Scaggs.
Oh, and a nice Japanese copy short scale bass.

A late 70's Ibanez Artist Ar-100, in Sunburst. Love at first sight. I felt like a northern suburbs Boz Scaggs. Oh, and a nice Japanese copy short scale bass.

Chilly, if ever you want to sell that AR-100, please let me know.

This could become a guitar trade thread. You know itā€™s going to a good home and an Essendon supporter.

This thread has reminded me that Iā€™ve had this Spalted Maple PRS copy kit in the garage for over a year.

Really need to find some time and finish it !

Oh my, ā€¦ do love me a PRS.

If you ever get to the point you donā€™t think youā€™ll find that time, ā€¦ I know someone whoā€™d take it off your hands ā€¦

http://www.picgifs.com/smileys/smileys-and-emoticons/whistling/smileys-whistling-823718.gif