The Guitar Thread

Two strats here, although neither are the norm, … one isn’t even a true “Strat”, it’s a 1990’s “Squire” strat from Japan, … and I truly doubt I’d swap it for a Yank one. Fantastic guitar, … love it.

The Americans got that ■■■■■■ off at the quality they were producing, they shifted “Squires” off to Korea or something, and got the ■■■’s to just do the high end repro’s, shortly after the ■■■ Squires started out selling genuine Yank strats.

The other is an American one, that I bought that had the ridiculous floating bridge set up, with lockable headstock nuts.

Stripped it, and installed a modified classic Tele “Ashtray” bridge, (so sans wah wah and springs,) and mounted the strings in a “Through body” fashion, after blocking out the cavity with some very hard to source matching spruce.

I have a very different take on the relevance of timbers in Electric Guitars to most, and often have heated disputes with advocates of that scientifically disprovable stance, but thought that if there was a chance of timbers affecting tone at all, then they should have to be in contact with, and running through it, so decided to set it up that way.

Still can’t tell if it made a jot of difference, but I do like it now, even with it’s standard “stringy” original pick ups.

Next journey is to install a gen Fender humbucker in the tail possie, and wire it up with a splitter switch, and see how that sounds. Hoping it will become a sort of, “Universal use” weapon, so I can get away with just taking it, and an Amp, and be able to adequately use it for any style.

Although I do like to take the Maton MS500 with me, I also love that Guitar. You can stick your hundred tonne Les Pauls, and your horridly balanced SG’s fair where the sun don’t shine IMO,… one of those Aussie made & Owned babys, with a set of Seymour Duncans installed will shitt all over them.

When it comes to “Electric” Gutars, … there’s really nothing at all in a name or legend, … bar Name & legend. In the days of the like’s of Line 6 amp sim etc. It really only matters from the pick up onward. See Josh Homme & his Matons,… all the way to Grohls Lucite special. No one had a clue he had produced the prior record with essentially a “Plastic” guitar, until he produced it on stage for the tour.
Also, someone mentioned White Stripes in this thread or another, … if you are unaware what Jack was playing on at least the 1st 2 Albums, you should check it out before thinking spending thousands and thousands on any Electric, … no matter the rep or pedigree.

One of the greatest scams ever pulled on the world, was the equating of the relevance of tone woods in electric instruments, to the actual, trule relevance thay have in acoustics.

2 Likes

BSD, you’re not the first person I’ve heard say that the wood is not important for tone on electrics. I wouldn’t profess to know as I don’t experiment enough, but clearly nothing is going to save a guitar from crap pups. Strangely enough, I also had Maton 501 for a while and it was a good guitar for the price but the finish seemed little on the cheap side. I replaced it with a better made MS2000 ltd edition with a solid Qld maple body (as well as neck) and no tone cap. For that model it was cheap 2nd hand and I think it may have been due to not having the tone cap. Sounds good. Doesn’t play as well as my tele or nighthawk but not far off and could probably use a little setting up.

1 Like

Nice. And worth putting some effort into IMO, … they still carry a fair price …

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/MATON-Mastersound-MS-2000-DLX-SD-Carved-Top-Seymour-Duncan-Pickups-2009-/401273437495

In that ad, you’ll find a reference to the SD pickup config, … there is a very common one that players put into the Matons, but I still for the life of me, can’t right now remember what it is/was … I have a feeling the one in this, …

"Seymour Duncan humbuckers, the pickup in the bridge position is a JB which is coil-tapped, very tasty indeed with a SD SH-1 in the neck position"

… could well be it, … but I have an inkling it was way easier to remember.

If you really want to know, I can find out for sure.

I agree. I like the look of the wood, and the feel of the wood - but when you’re talking electronics, it could (and has been) a block of concrete for all the effect it has.

Acoustic guitars, however, are another matter.

Or for that matter - cardboard:

2 Likes

I’m going to have to disagree the tone of the wood does change the sound of the guitar

If you could find out without too much trouble that would be good. If not, no worries

I agree 110% with BSD. Actually, make that 117%. Cannot for the life of me understand how wood can affect the tone of any electric guitar. Acoustic, for sure, but electric?

I love my Maton MS2000DLX - was my retirement present to myself in 2013. Better still, my 1976 Maton CW-80. That guitar was my first significant purchase after I started work as a 17y/o. It has been with me all my life - through relationships, break ups, family deaths, births, marriage, busking in the Burke St Mall in the late '70s. It has transcended life as a musical instrument - to me it is so much more. It has encapsulated my life - so many memories. It is still in near showroom condition with only one tiny dent on the neck to show for a lifetime of use. Apart from the sentimental value it has aged like a fine bottle of red - the tone has become richer. Sigh…I love that guitar so much. I’m off to pick a few tunes on it now…

5 Likes

Seems entirely plausible to me that the vibration of the strings could be influenced by the body they’re attached to. Seems equally plausible that the effect may be grossly overstated to commercial advantage.

Take two Gibson guitars. One is a solid mahogany Gibson SG, the other a mahogany with maple cap Gibson Les Paul. They both have the same pickups and electronics, yet they both sound quite different. In fact, they both conform to what people know Les Pauls and SGs to sound like. Why? There are a host of reasons, but primarily it’s because the guitars are made from different timbers.

The guitar’s body vibrates sympathetically with the strings. Typically denser woods produce a brighter tone. Compare an Alder body Tele to a Swamp Ash Tele as a good example. The difference is clearly audible in two otherwise identical guitars.

The bit I don’t get is this: Take any electric guitar. The strings are attached to the body of the guitar only at the head/neck and bridge. That bridge, I imagine, highly insulates the body from having any resonance/vibration effect on the strings by the bridge’s thick metal structure. So I just don’t get it.

I haven’t tested this theory, but am severely tempted to do so by your suggestion I take two Gibson guitars. Now if you could assist by distracting the shop assistant I might be willing to put my theory to the test.

2 Likes

If you guys are really interested, there is empirical evidence out there to tell you exactly what happens and what effects what sound. But you may have to swallow the spoilers.

1 Like

I was in San Francisco in 2010 and was determined to bring a guitar home knowing that they were generally cheaper over there. Not looking for anything in particular (maybe a LP or SG?) but not really wanting anything new I finally stumbled upon Real Guitars with its tiny rundown shopfront all alone in a semi-industrial backstreet. I had found guitar heaven! Although I couldn’t afford any of the old LPs, Gretch’s, among other choice items, I happily left with this 1994 Nighthawk. I’d never even heard of them before let alone seen one. Huge range of sounds with 5 switch positions and coil tapped humbuckers

5 Likes

My first guitar was a Guild (I was into jazz as a kid), then I got a Telecaster because I liked Roy Buchanan. After that, things get a bit blurry—I went through quite a few guitars (Gibson, Ibanez, etc.). Anyway, my favourite guitar I’ve ever owned was an early EVH. It was beautiful and sounded wonderful.

I stopped playing seriously at the end of the nineties. But, I started practicing again last year. Nowadays, I’ve got a Les Paul (on loan from my daughter’s boyfriend) and a cheap classical acoustic. I practice every day, but, it’s mostly Bach. Somewhere along the line, I got old :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Ah…one of my all-time favs :slight_smile:

4 Likes

Albert Collins was my inspiration to buy a tele, back when I could hardly play at all. Got it new at Gallins in Chapel st when they first started in 1990 - tiny shop with about a dozen guitars and a handful of amps. They’ve grown somewhat! They said it was fron New York but I was pleased to discover a few years back, going on the serial number, that it’s early 80s from the Fullerton plant. If I could only keep 1 it would be this one. I would have liked a blonde one but this gun metal blue grew on me quick enough.

2 Likes

Is that a Les Paul on the bed in the background?

And just scored this 300 page book from the local market for $2. Detailed instructions on everything right down to refretting specific brands and vintages :grinning:

4 Likes

It’s the MS2000 pictured above. Has a nice archtop, not a bad LP substitute.

D’oh! How embarrassing - I should’ve recognised it, being an MS2000 owner myself!

Is that one of those Vox AC15 handwired jobbies? Any good?

I’ve got a soft spot for Voxes. I’ve had a thing called a Jennings AC40 for ages. Tom Jennings made these in the late 60s / early 70s after quitting Vox. Its like an AC30 but with 10 more ACs I guess.

https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/236x/3a/aa/27/3aaa27eb9d417afb4a672fadf3daf2b5.jpg

1 Like