The hurley/carlisle swap. Game over

I actually thought Hurley beat rewioldt, only out marked a couple of times, all the rest were turn overs, etc.

Nah.
Poor early, constantly playing from behind, doesn't work when you're smaller and slower. Took him on & played in front a couple of times in the third & got some momentum up in the last, did good things. Plus that barry turnover trying to kick 15m to Heppell and hit his man instead, awful.

It didn't change anything to do with the forward line and the defense suffered. Hurley is playing well in the backline but not All Australian good. Switch it back, try for a more dynamic forward line. Ruckman in the goal square pushing no further than the 50, have Hurley push up and back out running his opponent.

It makes you appreciate how good Lloyd and Lucas were, that's for sure.

Both were lucky to play in the era they did.
Today both would be drawn up the ground and be part of the rolling 16 man scrum in the middle.

I said this on blitz last season (or maybe even 2012) and got yelled at, but will put it out there again, given the last 5 minutes of the game: Carlisle, Hurley, Fletcher in defence and Hooker forward. Hooker is a great mark, good play reader, and a great competitor with a defensive mindset and he is always going to provide a contest and be dangerous. It is definitely a case of robbing Peter to pay Paul, but Carlisle and JD are simply not doing enough in F50 and Hurley and Carlisle look far more comfortable down back. We simply do not have a genuine tall 'presence' in F50 and that is killing us. No point letting the opposition kick only 80 points if we get it into F50 more than they do but still only end up with 60 points. Gotta get a really good tall in there, and Carlisle and Hurley will be more than serviceable in D50 (Hurley did ok tonight, just got killed on the turnover).

Yep plays a pretty simple game does Hooksy but it's what we need more often than not.

I said when it was confirmed that they would swap they should have left it and persisted with it. I wasn’t a fan at all more so because Carlisle was our most important player last year for mine and was almost all Australian and now he is being moved to the opposite end of the ground in a new role, it was just lunacy in my opinion and I am still dumbfounded by it.

I think it is as plain as day now that Hurley and Carlisle both need to play defence and we need to recruit an ACTUAL tall FORWARD.

The problem is that all of Hurley, Carlisle and Hooker are all much much better defenders than they are forwards.

And they should all end up there when Fletcher retires at the end of the year. Hooker and Carlisle key defenders, with Hurley playing the sweeper / quarterback role that Fletcher plays.

Our forward line anchored by Daniher, a resting ruck and a brigade of smaller players / resting mids.

Hurley was well beaten and Carlisle didn't touch the ball.

How can anyone say this is working?

Gee, what happens come Anzac Day when Carlisle kicks a bag and is one of the best on ground? Don’t be too quick to judge, and certainly not on tonight’s performance. I figure the stint in the ruck has done no favours for Carlisle, who was in reasonable form before that. Add to that a poor tram performance and everything looks worse.

Give it a go. Need to structure it up right, and I think that’s likely with Belly deep forward, and clever forwards like Winderlich and Chapman both feeding off and creating.

This is going to be slightly uncomfortable…

We need Hurley and Carlisle both as key defenders with Pears as an optional.

This means Fletcher as great as he is, a club legend needs to take this into account.

The swap will win us a flag if some patience is afforded. Carlisle will be a sensational CHF. Perhaps not next week but it will happen.

This is going to be slightly uncomfortable...
We need Hurley and Carlisle both as key defenders with Pears as an optional.
This means Fletcher as great as he is, a club legend needs to take this into account.

Its the truth. This season will probably be his last in all seriousness.. Which makes the playing Carlisle forward even more confusing as hell probably move back down there next season.
Yes versatility and all.. But I can't help but feel we've pissfarted around with too many players as of late.

Carlisle is an AA defender, Hurley plays solidly in defence.

I would be focussing on Bellchambers, Hardingham and Daniher as our main forwards.

This means Fletcher needs to be thinking about the young players a bit more, in my opinion.

The swap will win us a flag if some patience is afforded. Carlisle will be a sensational CHF. Perhaps not next week but it will happen.

based on what? A hunch? There is nothing yet to even suggest carlisle will be a half decent CHF

I actually thought Hurley beat rewioldt, only out marked a couple of times, all the rest were turn overs, etc.

Agree, Hurley was immense on Riewoldt and really only got out-marked 1:1 once in Q3.

It was the terrible turnovers that killed us and gifted Riewoldt multiple opportunities.

Hird will swap them again.

Sorry, just ■■■■ stirring.

Sometimes being a fwd is fkn hard. They have dirty days, Cloke has barely touched it for weeks as well until the last game.

based on what? A hunch? There is nothing yet to even suggest carlisle will be a half decent CHF

The club has a history of shifting players positions diametrically o the back of a good quarter of footy in that opposite position unfortunately.

Riewoldt won contests in front of goal, but that’s where it counts most, so he won.

When fletch retires both can play back.

Agree, Hurley was immense on Riewoldt and really only got out-marked 1:1 once in Q3.

It was the terrible turnovers that killed us and gifted Riewoldt multiple opportunities.

What are you guys smoking? Reiwodt kicked 5 goals and could have got more. He killed Hurley, who had no idea how to play him.

What are you guys smoking? Reiwodt kicked 5 goals and could have got more. He killed Hurley, who had no idea how to play him.

yep - wtf. If you thought hurley beat reiwoldt then you have seriously low expectations of hurley