The "I was wrong" Files

Hello, I’ve waited here for you
Never Wrong

– Foo Fighters

Thought Gleeson would be a lot better than he is. Still got potential as a good player, thought he would be top shelf.

Didn’t think Jobe could turn it on after a year off.

Didn’t think Tommy Bellchambers could give us such good footy.

I thought kepler bradley would be the next glen jackovich

6 Likes

Most already said. Long term I was 100% wrong about Cale Hooker. I was missed off when we didn’t Trade him to wear coast. I thought Jason Ashby would have well replaced baggers by now. Also I would have delisted Ambrose before his move to defence.
More short term I didn’t think Bellchambers, Gleeson and McKenna were capable of this kind of footy ever let alone this year.

I don’t think he was better, just “different”.

He couldn’t have played his early career roles (ie pretty much CHF) post 99, as he didn’t have that same spring and zip, so he changed, and was brilliant in other ways.

Hmm, but maybe his best football was post 99 anyway…It’s so long ago now…

I was wrong about Damian Hardwick and thought he lacked the brains and temperament to become anything. B&F and multiple premiership winner who was uncompromising at all times.

1 Like

Yeah that’s not what I was wrong about. I like him as a forward and I want him as a forward, you can go check in his thread where I’ve said why I prefer him as a forward.

The reason why I was wrong about him? I said he was just another Kepler Bradley.

Yep, shameful to say the least.

Funny story. Early on, while I was calling him Kepler my dad was saying “you watch, he’ll be very good for us. Once he stops doing those dinky short kicks he will be very good”. He even said he will be AA one day. One night at a player sponsors night I spoke to him (surprise surprise he was next to TBell) and I asked for his signature for my dad and told him that story (didn’t say I called him Kepler, I just said I had my doubts on him). I apologised to him for that and asked him how he did it. He had a laugh and said he just kept working hard and kept trying.

That’s why I reckon he’ll be a very good forward for us in the next couple of years.

Ambrose. Thought he was a write off after his first year. Thought he was no good as a defender up until about a month into this year.
Baguley. Couldn’t believe we wasted a rookie upgrade on him.

4 Likes

So many to choose from but my most recent favourite was declaring Grimley the new forward saviour with Kommer as his crumber.

2 Likes

I compared Ben Haynes to Mark Mercuri after he played well at Docklands one night. Still shaking my head thinking about it.

2 Likes

Just remembered I also compared Jerrett to Scott Pendlebury. THERE’S STILL TIME JACKSON!

2 Likes

And anybody that didn’t get sucked in by the Southern Aurora is lying to themselves.

I was guilty of a “just get Hooker to the backline again” lapse after a bad loss.

Yeah I thought Hooker was no good early

I thought Jaeger O’Meara was worth throwing the kitchen sink at.

7 Likes

You’re not alone with that one.

1 Like

I’ll never be more wrong about a player than hooker. I was cursing him when he didn’t move to west coast.

On the other side of the coin i once suggested sam lonergan could be our sam mitchell.

I’m looking wrong on big Tommy Bellchambers. Didn’t think he had performances like the last two weeks in him. Very happily wrong.
Hope I’m wrong on Francis. Feeling a disappointment there.

If there’s a “everyone else is still wrong thread” coming I’ll meet you there with a photo of Kyle Reimers.

I thought Ashby showed some Goddard like signs off half back.

3 Likes

I was wrong about Paddy Ambrose along with most people on here I reckon. Gee he really pulled himself off the delist scrap heap last year to become one of our most valuable. All of a sudden he is a key pillar in our side for the next 5+ years.