The Inevitable Rebuild

And for what little it’s worth, I do think we have been both unadventurous in the wing position and bad at developing players to play there. Which is massively compounded by having to develop players to play there rather than drafting players who spent the majority of their junior careers there. It’s like a triple threat of problems

Agree - there are a LOT of dooms dayers here.

For the Dooms dayers…Relax. Our list is in good nick, the best its been in a long time - we have some great kids, put in a fit Orazio, Stringer, Smith, Daniher etc and then look at the age and experience of last nights team v WCE and take a fckn deep breath FFS.

3 Likes

Is that you BSD?

2 Likes

I think almost everyone would agree our list is the best it’s been in a long time. As ever, of course, the problem is that we don’t play against 2006 Essendon or 2009 Essendon, or even 2012 Essendon.

1 Like

People calling for a rebuild through the draft need to realise;

a. We have no decent draft picks
b. This and next years drafts are considered weak
c. Our talent pool is in the 21-26 age bracket and cannot wait for three years for draftees to come in and performa

For better or worse we are stuck with the current bunch. We need to add talent and fix some broken areas. But to do that we have to play within the confines out 2 second round picks and off loading talent to change the list structure.

6 Likes

After each years failure, there’s a plethora of these posts. Why do our supporters continuely overrate our list? Even the media buys into it “next year they’ll be top 4” with absolutely nothing to justify such statements.

6 Likes

I agree with you

Nothing to justify the statements… What do you call this? “put in a fit Orazio, Stringer, Smith, Daniher etc and then look at the age and experience of last nights team v WCE”

Do people really think Joe is going to prevent Shiel and Zerrett from ■■■■■■■■ their dacks every final or us turning it over or missing easy tackles or not putting on any pressure every final or…

Get a fcking grip on reality. The senior blokes were the ones that panicked all night. Apparently a few more forwards is gonna solve the issues of our midfield getting humiliated every final. Living in a dream world of rainbows. We’re a bunch of talented individuals who show up every now and again and have nfi how to play as a team.

6 Likes

I think that just about sums as up.

2 Likes

You are delusional. Your belief is based in nothing but hope.

They’re just that used to being smashed in finals, no level of physical fitness is going to change anything.

1 Like

It’s probably all a bit fresh for me to have a decent opinion on it.
But what I feel at the moment is that our talls are in dire straits.

Doesn’t help that Smack played the worst game I think I’ve ever seen him play.
Hurley and Hooker looked lame.
I could maybe believe they might get better when they get fitter, but gosh it’s difficult.

While Bellchambers battled hard in the ruck contests, he was nowhere in general play.
I’m even more doubtful he’ll get any better.

And if ya mother had a beard she’d be ya father

Excuses, excuses and more excuses

1 Like

Agree. Our talls are dire. But hey, let’s trade out the best young Essendon forward we may ever see in our lifetimes and bring in Zac ■■■■■■■ Jones - he will improve our dire skills.

(This is not directed at anyone in particular, just had to get off my chest.)

2 Likes

Adrian Dodoro had RINSED this list

4 Likes

West coast had 10 Intercept marks in the first, because our players panicked. I remember shiel and merrett doing it in succession, and I remember laughing at how amateur it was

1 Like

I’ve read a lot of supporters saying the ‘we need to make tough decisions on senior players’

It’s too late for that. These decisions should have been made years ago, before the unambitious culture of rot set into the club.
Now we have a bunch of older players who are contracted on multi-year big deals, or senior players not worth anything.

It’s too late for significant list changes, and making tough statements.

5 Likes

We have too many flash in the pan players who do the spectacular occasionally in the game, but cant play 4 quarters of solid, reliable footy .
And we have no tough ■■■■■!

Any rebuild in relation to our player list is not inevitable. I don’t even think one is needed. We have the quality, and depth. I think the coaching panel needs a revamp however and the right coach and assistants would have us playing a completely different quality of footy. If a rebuild is required to have the right people to make the decisions that are needed to see this coaching revamp, then so be it.

1 Like