The Inevitable Rebuild

The problem is we haven’t bottomed out , we hang around the outside of the 8. As much as no one wants the spoon , you kind of need that a few times or at least get close if you’re gonna build from the ground up.

2 Likes

I dont think a ruckman is the difference between us becoming a good side or not. We 'SHOULD be still winning games of football without a quality ruckman. I thought Draper should have been blooded last year though and obviously the injury this year has been a huge setback.

As far as wingman we have plenty on our list but Woosha refuse to take risks or be creative.

McKenna, Redman, Merrett & Ridley can all play there and for me that’s where our major improvements will come from.

Our continual issue is that we have our best ball users playing in positions where they are of the least value and the guys that get used the most in possession chains keep turning it over.

I’m hopefull that somebody like Caracella can see what we have and create a gameplan that best uses our strengths.

Woosha is not that man and never will be. He’s far too conservative.

5 Likes

None of those players you mentioned are wingmen. Ridley was given that role in VFL and was woeful. It’s a ■■■■■■ hard position to play and only Ham on our list looks natural in that role which is why we played him even though he wasn’t physically ready.

1 Like

None of those players have experience there but that doesn’t mean they are not capable.

In fact when Redman played his first games a few years ago he played wing and I thought he looked a natural.

Ridley in my opinion has lost all confidence and I wouldn’t be surprised if he leaves.

He should never have been dropped.

His ball use and decision making is outstanding.

2 Likes

Our key position stocks are utter dire, especially forwards

Hooker, brown, McKernan, Hurley, Ambrose are all 28+. Who have we got coming through? BZT? Gown? Daniher who hasn’t played for 2 years?

1 Like

Hooker and Hurley contracted for 2 and 3 more years and the big money that goes with them limits any rebuild

1 Like

Ridley’s problem is that he lacks intensity and seems unable to find his own ball. He is also a poor tackler and isn’t great 1 on 1. His composure and kicking is first rate and at VFL level his marking seems to have improved.

I wish we could ask those 2 to consider a pay cut like we did when Mecuri’s contract was seen to be prohibitive. Unfortunately, they deserve their coin for sticking by us and will be great mentors for Francis, Zerk and possibly Brand down the line.

"lacks intensity’ is such a rubbish Blitz description.

Heppell has intensity but turns the ball over all day. Does intensity mean anything in that scenario?

Find roles for the players that best suit their skillset and watch them flourish. I have no doubt that if you gave players like Ridley more responsibility he will take it with open arms.

Good leaders can identify where your deficiencies are, and rather than focus on them they nurture the strengths and then build on the rest.

We just don’t give our young players enough opportunity.

1 Like

Redman’s first few games a few years ago for 10, 7 and 2 disposals, the latter of which he himself has since described as the worst game of football he has played in his entire life at any level?

Unfortunately we’re too far down the road and committed too much to start chopping this list apart.

I’m of the belief we have an above average list of players, who accept that scraping into finals is good enough…which has been bred by senior players, club administrators and supporters.

The celebration and concern through out the year, of us making the finals was laughable and embarrassing.

The reason why Blitz use the description lacking intensity is because we used to be blessed with players that oozed intensity. Think Pev, Solly, the Johnsons, Wally, Hardwick and even in recent times Hocking and Howlett.

That’s why for all his mistakes (and he makes a fair few) Redman is embraced. Our team lacks passionate warriors and Ridley’s personality is shy and retiring. I love him and think he is super talented but if he wants to get better he needs to find a way to improve in the contest.

1 Like

Yeah, I don’t think we need a rebuild as such. Perhaps a bit of a culture reset, if possible. Players seem to accept that scraping into finals is acceptable, but that isn’t where the bar should be set. Caracella coming in will hopefully overhaul a bit of our game plan which is greatly needed, and will potentially be the change up we need to get to the next level. Because whatever the plan is now, and I honestly dont even know what it is, it aint working.

A young core of Parish, Francis, McGrath, Ridley, Draper, Redman, Clarke, Guelfi, BZT, Mckenna, Fantasia, Merrett etc. Is decent going forward imo, we just need to keep adding to it. Even Shiel, Daniher, Stringer, Saad, Smith and co have a lot of football left on the table before they start to decline.

We have traded in some great players but we need to keep adding talent through the draft also, which I personally think should be the priority this offseason. However we need to stop drafting the flashy player and going for list needs.

Maybe I am just looking for positives after last nights debacle haha

2 Likes

Having missed making an impression while Hurley and Hooker were in their prime I would honestly accept and go along for the ride as a supporter if the club came out and was clear about the fact that we may go backwards to go forward and get some elite top end talent in through the draft. Not sure guys like Shiel and Stringer would be thrilled though.

1 Like

Yeah, he should have got 30

You didn’t address what I said.

Do you think intensity is the only measurement?

Its a blitz thing

It isn’t the only measurement but is a glaring deficiency of our list

For mine it is class.

1 Like

Yeah, he should have. I think someone showing natural talent as a wingman should probably be able to get 30 possessions across three weeks. I don’t think that’s an outrageous expectation at all actually.

1 Like

I get what you are saying those stats don’t look great but I recall when he first arrived that he looked like he read the play really well.

I’m not sure where he played jnrs but his skillset and attack on the ball could really create problems for the opposition out on a wing.

Personally McKenna would be my first choice but I think we have options.