The Infrastructure Thread

Sorry if I’m being a pedant, but these proposals are for an arc, rather than a ring, no?

2 Likes

I remember cycling on the south east arterial while it was still under construction between high and Bourke on a Sunday when it was always tools down and it wasn’t a locked site. Incredible to think about that today.

Oh definitely. Dad was a Civil Engineer, coming back from VFL Park prior to the Glen Iris footbridge construction, just walking over the half made road towards Gardiners Creek I climbed on rio lattices and him inspecting the structures, fully geeking out.

Funny thing is, politics got in the way of the train extending from Glen Waverley all the way to VFL Park, Mulgrave and Monash.

2 Likes

I’d love them to build a proper cycling network. The one we have is ok and some bits are quality. But a real network should allow you cycle a distance before joking a highway and be able to cycle through the city not on roads.

Gets bikes off roads. Stops car drivers complaining.

The safety aspect would encourage a lot of people to adopt it as a transportation method.

You have to be half crazy to commute on a bike through some suburbs at the moment.

3 Likes

All this discussion will be moot when Tesla supplied personal Jet-Pacs become an affordable reality.

The future. Is sometime in the future.

And if the range is good enough, my maiden voyage will be to Cecelia’s place.

2 Likes

Lol.

His reasoning is sound.

Thank goodness someone finally started this thread!

I have many thoughts on the rail loop, the airport link, the north-east link and many other Melbourne infrastructure projects, but most importantly, I wanted to say that Celia Pacquola is hot as sh/t and I would marry her tomorrow (note: I am already married)

3 Likes

He’s a Doctor.

For your health.

He’s the best thing that’s ever been on television / internet.

Imagine my amusement every time Mitch Brown gets the ball. “Is that Brown 1, or 2”?

1 Like

Yeah the traffics definitely better. I even think it’s freed up Dandenong rd. Our issue was the sky rail option and how it came about. If it went under as we were led believe pre-election it would of had the same end result regarding traffic flow. It’s just with the option they chose we were collateral damage.
I’m still not convinced about the cost argument for a variety of reasons but I won’t bore you with that

2 Likes

Going Underground is about a Billion dollars a Km, . Sky Rail was way less than that.

Often wondered with the username. Ya dangus.

I like the idea, but the extended timeframes and total lack of costings, business plans, geotec surveys etc make this a currently meaningless proposal.

And once again, the bloke who killed East-west because the business case supposedly didnt warrant it is now committing to yet another major project without any business case at all! He’s a politics-playing git, but we actually ‘need’ all of these types of projects. 8 million melbournians by 2050!? hopefully i’ve moved out by then.

6 Likes

That’s precisely what this thread is for. Don’t be fooled by diggers

He’s only committing to funding a report/feasability study and investigation into the business case for it.

2 Likes

I’m don’t understand why they could not just drop the rail line like what happens after Caulfield all the way to South Yarra and like they’ve just done at Bourke Rd on the glen Waverly line. It doesn’t need to be underground just below Street level. There are many parts of Melbourne where rail goes through open cuttings under roads. Elsternwick also springs to mind.

3 Likes

the username predates Brule by nearly two decades, but I’m still pleased.

1 Like

Fair point, but I reckon the Sky thing is more aesthetically pleasing than an open cut, … which would still have added expense.

Also think speed in delivery in between election cycles was a consideration, as would have been the option giving the least disruption to commuters during works was too.

I’m not sure, … but I have an idea they felt this would be an attractive feature, and a bit of a “Sell” for the City … almost a Scenic Railway Joyride status if you know what I mean. Have been wondering how much of a Bay view you might get riding on it in certain stretch’s. Also am led to believe that when it’s all finished with trimmings and Trees etc, … it will look a hell of a lot better than it does now.

Also would think property owners around it likely saw a boost in value on average with the congestion removal and ease of movement from one side to the other it provides. Open to rebuttal on that though, … just seems it would.

3 Likes