The Jake Long thread

Yep. Find a way.

You know, I'm told there's a perfectly good father-son thread for this sort of thing...

You know, I'm told there's a perfectly good father-son thread for this sort of thing...

I know, but didn't we start a Joe Daniher thread in the offseason before the draft?

As forward pocket, Long got nothing given to him today. His two touches within the 50 (and hence shots at goal) came from him running down Cats. Everything else he had to get down the ground. Three-and-a-bit ugly-for-the-team quarters aren‘t enough to assess whether his clear positives (brave, good tackler, seemed to have a decent work ethic, mostly clean and calm disposal) are matched by an ability to consistently rack up the touches. He never really got up to full speed, so I can‘t report on that. He did keep moving, not just hoping it came to him.

The get-around-him for the last quarter goal was awesome.

HM/DJR - I know the evidence is limited, but is your gut feeling that he would be unlikely to cost us more than a rookie pick?

I know, but didn't we start a Joe Daniher thread in the offseason before the draft?
At least there won't be 'how do we trade out our first rounder before f/s bidding starts' type stratergies this time.
You should get DJR on the draftcast this year considering he's probably seen the most of Tippa, Long and the reserves.

It’d be a surprise if someone bid in the first two rounds, wouldn’t it?

If I was a recruiter I would be checking opposition fan based threads like this…so much for keeping him on the down low

If I was a recruiter I would be checking opposition fan based threads like this.....so much for keeping him on the down low

I'm reasonably sure Hawthorns checks my thread each year.

If I was a recruiter I would be checking opposition fan based threads like this.....so much for keeping him on the down low

Worked well for them last year

Here is hoping he has put them off

Here is hoping he has put them off

You may as well make this your special thread.
Make sure it includes Shannon Taylor

That's probably part of why not.

I heard he has dodgy groins, apparently.*

Just in case a Hawthorn recruiter is reading this.

I heard his dodgy groins are about half of his total body weight.

Groins as massive as that are likely to raise interest from the likes of Gerard Healy.

And not necessarily for the reason you may first think.

I thought Healy's groin raised to nice arms?

The difference being that Daniher was arguably the biggest talent in his draft year, and a certainty to come to us, while it isn't even certain that Long will get picked up.

Assuming we haven’t been “hiding” him, is there any real evidence he’s even good enough for a rookie slot?

Assuming we haven't been "hiding" him, is there any real evidence he's even good enough for a rookie slot?

If the ASADA investigation has taught us anything it's that evidence is irrelevant when you start with a preconceived outcome. With that in mind, we're definitely on the right track with this thread although maybe it should be re-titled 'how many Brownlow Jake Long win?'.