The Jake Long thread

It's a stupid process IMO. Should be done as part of the F/S bidding on Monday. We nominate him like any other F/S nom. then if no-one bids an ND pick we can take him in the rookie draft of we wish instead.

That makes far too much sense

Or if someone DOES draft him on the day we should have the opportunity to still match it.

You know that Hawthorn will

Strange the club has said nothing

I'm pretty nervous about this, it would not surprise me if a club takes a flier on him late in the draft. He has had a bad year with injury coming off a half season the year before, but, he was highly rated as a 16 year old and was shaping as a late first round pick, he just kept sliding.

Hawthorn - Cyril factor are the danger but hopefully he makes it through.

Funny how we have this strong link to the Rioli family. We had a Rioli play for us, literally limped to 100 games. I would think the Tigers would have a bigger link than we do!

🎉🎊🎉

https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=727500790632936&substory_index=0&id=301560776560275

Funny how we have this strong link to the Rioli family. We had a Rioli play for us, literally limped to 100 games. I would think the Tigers would have a bigger link than we do!

Cyril's mum is Michael Longs sister, and Dean's cousin. He was Maurice's nephew

Norm smiths on both sides.

We got murdered on the long Kardinia ground and he was playing forward pocket (tops 75% game time, he didn‘t come on till about twenty minutes in). So hardly a chance to shine.

He had ten disposals and kicked one goal, ran down two Cats for holding the balls inside our 50, was brave and held onto his tackles.

But it was just one (miserable) game.

Forget the Riolis....Am I right in saying that Jake Long has Wanganeen blood?

Strange the club has said nothing

Not strange at all.

They'd look like right twats if they made a big song and dance about it and then someone else sniped him in the ND, or we decided not to take him after all.

One player has nominated under the provisions of the Father-Son Rookie Pre-Selection Rule: Jack Long, son of Michael.
Thank god we got young longy

We haven't yet.
If someone else wants them, they can take him in the National Draft. I doubt anyone will take him in the ND, but it is still a possibility.
Or we've done today is put dibs on him if he is available it the rookie draft.
this makes me think of anthony long, was there any genuine chance of him being drafted by anyone else when took him at 30 odd

I *hate* this sort of post. How would any of us know what any other club was thinking?
We liked him and took him with our last live pick.
Who could have foreseen the injuries?
Whenever anyone feels like going with the "no other club was going to take him" line, please look at the Gleeson thread post his being drafted. 20 pages of "no one was going to draft him, should have got him at 78".
You *want* your drafting team to have done their own homework and to back their judgement.

fair enough. HM answered the question i asked poorly though

Can't wait untill he does this

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EqzAqTJzp-0

Anthony was a good junior.
He was rated and we got him at about where we should have I think... from memory.

IMHO we reached for him - he was a late round or rookie pick in my book, but we took him with a second rounder. But the pick we took him with was our last live pick.
Personally I was hoping we'd take Christiansen with that pick and try to get Long in the rookie draft, but there were whispers that Sydney had their eye on Long and I think the club was gunshy about losing another famous name to a rival club after passing over Rioli a couple of years previously.
Pig in the PSD was probably a worthwhile decision, really we should've cut 1 more and taken another kid.

The way you wrote that makes them look Tasmanian.

Normally clubs don't nominate Rookie Father Son selections until after National and PSD. Strange one... is it an attempt to scare other clubs off? Or has it just drawn more attention?

Normally clubs don't nominate Rookie Father Son selections until after National and PSD. Strange one... is it an attempt to scare other clubs off? Or has it just drawn more attention?

I hope there just might be some genuine sympathy, and in this instance-the club has an understanding that the other 16 clubs wont screw us over.

As if.

Probably end up at Essendon one day even if someone else picks him up

The way you wrote that makes them look Tasmanian.
on the tiwi islands most people are either a Long, Rioli, tipungwuti, munkara or woanamirri

Forget the Riolis....Am I right in saying that Jake Long has Wanganeen blood?

yep. Mums a wanganeen