The Jake Long thread

Anthony was a good junior.
He was rated and we got him at about where we should have I think... from memory.

IMHO we reached for him - he was a late round or rookie pick in my book, but we took him with a second rounder. But the pick we took him with was our last live pick.
Personally I was hoping we'd take Christiansen with that pick and try to get Long in the rookie draft, but there were whispers that Sydney had their eye on Long and I think the club was gunshy about losing another famous name to a rival club after passing over Rioli a couple of years previously.
And fair enough too...

I would be very disappointed if name came into selection discussions. Choose the best damn player, i don't care who's son he is.

He was rated and we got him at about where we should have I think... from memory.

IMHO we reached for him - he was a late round or rookie pick in my book, but we took him with a second rounder. But the pick we took him with was our last live pick.
Personally I was hoping we'd take Christiansen with that pick and try to get Long in the rookie draft, but there were whispers that Sydney had their eye on Long and I think the club was gunshy about losing another famous name to a rival club after passing over Rioli a couple of years previously.
And fair enough too...

I would be very disappointed if name came into selection discussions. Choose the best damn player, i don't care who's son he is.

If you can't decide between two players, one has connections to the club, obviously you take the one with family history 

And fair enough too...

"You can't let sentiment get in the way of good drafting"

I’m pretty nervous about this, it would not surprise me if a club takes a flier on him late in the draft. He has had a bad year with injury coming off a half season the year before, but, he was highly rated as a 16 year old and was shaping as a late first round pick, he just kept sliding.

But they must have rated him above Christensen, at least given the fact that they'd already taken a short mid in Colyer. If they'd wanted Christensen they could have taken him and talked up the Rioli link on his mother's side of the family.

I'm pretty nervous about this, it would not surprise me if a club takes a flier on him late in the draft. He has had a bad year with injury coming off a half season the year before, but, he was highly rated as a 16 year old and was shaping as a late first round pick, he just kept sliding.

Definitely a worry.
Thing is that they shouldn't announce this. They never have previously.
I could only understand this if they'd changed the process to be included in the bidding, and hence allowing us to match an offer. But as far as I know they haven't done that.
Announcing our intentions is therefore wrong.
In fact I don't think the process should even happen until post draft because it could conceivably have a different result depending on the draft results.

Thing is that they shouldn't announce this. They never have previously

Yes they have - this was brought in last season.
Collingwood nominated Jake Kelly and Fremantle nominated Ryan Lester-Smith as rookie F/S's.

Neither player was drafted during the ND, but both clubs ended up choosing not to officially nominate them, Kelly ended up at Adelaide and Lester-Smith didn't get drafted.

I don’t think they announced them pre national draft though?

It’s been around longer than 1 year, as it was a consideration for Dunnell 2 years ago.

Collingwood nominated Jake Kelly and Fremantle nominated Ryan Lester-Smith as rookie F/S's.
Neither player was drafted during the ND, but both clubs ended up choosing not to officially nominate them, Kelly ended up at Adelaide and Lester-Smith didn't get drafted.

Hang on, now I'm confused, they announced that they'd nominated them, and then they chose not to nominate them?
As I said, shouldn't be announced if that's the process.

Hang on, now I'm confused, they announced that they'd nominated them, and then they chose not to nominate them?

To your earlier post, yes they announced them pre-ND last season as they do it as part of the FS nomination process which is part of trade "week".

And yes, all it is at this stage is a statement of intention, it isn't actually an official nomination. The clubs is still free to change their mind before late November.

I wouldn't be worried about Long, if multiple clubs were genuinely interested in him he would've at least scored a state combine invite.

What's your take on Long, Dunlop?

To your earlier post, yes they announced them pre-ND last season as they do it as part of the FS nomination process which is part of trade "week".
And yes, all it is at this stage is a statement of intention, it isn't actually an official nomination. The clubs is still free to change their mind before late November.
I wouldn't be worried about Long, if multiple clubs were genuinely interested in him he would've at least scored a state combine invite.

I find that process a bit exploitative then.
Press release: Hawks nominate Lester-Smith for a f/s rookie ahead of the NAB AFL draft.
Yet there is no commitment to Lester-Smith .
If they want to announce an "interest". "2 clubs have lodged interest in potential f/s rookies."
It's not very fair on the kids.

DJR's your man to ask about Long, he's one of the few Blitzers that has seen him play this season.

DJR's your man to ask about Long, he's one of the few Blitzers that has seen him play this season.

DJR?

I find that process a bit exploitative then.
Press release: Hawks nominate Lester-Smith for a f/s rookie ahead of the NAB AFL draft.
Yet there is no commitment to Lester-Smith .
If they want to announce an "interest". "2 clubs have lodged interest in potential f/s rookies."
It's not very fair on the kids.

True that. I felt awful for Lester-Smith last season, to go from "awesome I'm being drafted by an AFL club", to not being drafted in the space of 8 weeks. I haven't seen the official rule for it, so maybe you can't later nominate a F/S to be a rookie if you don't nominate them now and it might allow them to train at the AFL clubs earlier. I can't see many genuine benefits for the players involved to play it this way myself either.

DJR?

http://bomberblitz.com/forums/index.php?/user/528-David-J-Richardson/

We have to get him.

It’s a stupid process IMO. Should be done as part of the F/S bidding on Monday. We nominate him like any other F/S nom. then if no-one bids an ND pick we can take him in the rookie draft of we wish instead.

I'm pretty nervous about this, it would not surprise me if a club takes a flier on him late in the draft. He has had a bad year with injury coming off a half season the year before, but, he was highly rated as a 16 year old and was shaping as a late first round pick, he just kept sliding.

It would surprise me.

We will get him.

It's a stupid process IMO. Should be done as part of the F/S bidding on Monday. We nominate him like any other F/S nom. then if no-one bids an ND pick we can take him in the rookie draft of we wish instead.

That makes far too much sense