The Low-Carb Craze

I don’t think it needs to be that complicated or magical. Michael Pollan nailed it (as you’ve said):
Eat food, not too much, mostly plants.

For me it’s about the quality and quantity of what you eat.

2 Likes

I prefer his work on drugs.

1 Like

Good to see this thread so diet can be discussed separately from the BBQ meat ■■■■ thread. [haha that word was p.o.r.n.]

I am not sure low carb or gluten free does much for peeps without actual dietary or metabolism conditions.

I suggest many would be better off kicking all forms of added sugar, processed food and fat that wasn’t naturally attached to protein to the kerb first.

1 Like

Certainly not intending to start an argument.
What are you referring to ?

I severely limit Grains, starches, and legumes, and I’m careful with fruit (particularly tropical fruits).
I don’t have any real restrictions when it comes to Veggies.

I suspect you are referring to Carnivore and very strict Keto ?

What misinformation ?
Aren’t people just putting forward their personal anecdote ?

I don’t think I’ve seen 1 person say “this is the best diet in the world, and you should do it also”.

We’re all different, and we’re all adults.
All you can do is trial an eating plan on your own body that you can adhear to for the long term, monitor how you feel, and obtain blood results at appropriate intervals to detect inflammation markers or potential problems.

1 Like

Best ask the person who said it, I was only quoting.

@Sconzie

Megz ?

Dunno, she seems pretty feisty.
Is it safe ?

Edit…just saw your edit.

I have trouble with bread and pasta. Not coeliac but it gives me big time reflux and heartburn and chestpain which kinda freaked me out before I knew what was going on. I don’t wanna end up with throat cancer from the acid reflux so I avoid bread when I can. Interestingly a proper sourdough does not cause me the same problems. I read about an italian study where they gave sourdough to coeliac patients and many didn’t have a problem with it. The reason being that the sourdough fermentation process breaks down the gluten proteins and our guts don’t have to do the same work. Maybe give some a try if you want to have some bread. Richmond Sourdough do great stuff including lovely danish pastries.

you might find this interesting:

1 Like

With absolute respect Bomb, I’ve seen pics of you at various Blitz functions, so I know you are a very lean slender chap.
Now maybe you have earnt that with sensible eating and exercise your whole life…I don’t know.
Point is, weight and excessive weight gain is not a problem you appear to have.

Other people need to do a little more work.
Tweak their Macros a little, cut out some foods.
If it was so simple, why is such a large % of the population overweight ?

This is veering off topic and I don’t wish to sound preachy, but bear with me.

About 2000 days ago, I decided to stop drinking alcohol as I no longer enjoyed it, hated what sort of person I became when drunk and found the hangovers increasingly horrendous. Since then, my weight has steadily decreased from a portly 90kg to 65kg, where it has now stabilised. I can identify six reasons for this weight loss:

1. Simply not drinking alcohol, which is full of sugar and does make you gain weight.
  2. No longer pigging out on chips, nuts and other salty snacks that go so well with beer.
  3. Being more active - when drinking, I’d tend to sit around watching TV/listening to music/surfing the net etc.
  4. No longer as likely to ring up for pizza or other home-delivered food which used to happen quite a lot after a few drinks.
  5. Next day, now I don’t have the craving for “hangover food” which, in my case, was hamburgers, potato cakes etc plus sweet, fizzy drinks.
  6. Without said hangover, much more likely to go and do some gardening or something physical rather blobbing on the couch all day.

If you wish to drink then that is your choice. Some would even say it’s one of the major food groups!
I’m just pointing out the health benefits of giving it a rest.

10 Likes

The simple answer could very well be because of unsustainable fad diets :grin:

‘Doe is spot on … eat sensibly …align kilojoules in with kilojoules out… it really really is that simple.

2 Likes

Pretty damned easy to make your own too. Just need a starter which you can make yourself by leaving a bowl of flour and water mix out for a day or so to ferment some natural yeasts, … or if you know someone, get a bit of starter from them. :+1:

Truly a piece of pizz to make every other day.

https://www.theclevercarrot.com/2014/01/sourdough-bread-a-beginners-guide/

Over the years, I’ve adapted and changed my method until I found something unique to my baking preference and everyday schedule.

There is no kneading involved and you do not need a bread machine or a stand mixer

https://www.localharvest.org/blog/18258/entry/sourdough_starter_from_scratch_capturing

1 Like

I had money on @megz being the first to post this (at about $1.01)

2 Likes

Whether you’re coeliac, or just ‘gluten intolerant,’ I think if you’re having issues like that it might be best to come to terms and give it up.

There’s so many substitutions out there these days, it’s pretty easy to adapt. There’s also some really nice gluten free beers you can drink, and you won’t notice the difference. O’Brien’s has a lager and a pale ale, and you’ll find it in most Dan Murphy’s, BWS or other liquor stores. Hahn also have the crisp lager that’s GF.

And if you like pasta, there’s some great pastas available from supermarkets these days. You wouldn’t even notice the difference if you knew no better.

Bread is also getting alot better. Abbots and country life are available from supermarkets. Or if you live in the city, you’ll be able to find gluten free bakeries. Just jump on Google, some even do delivery!

1 Like

Agree, but how does one achieve this ?

What if someone has a hormonal imbalance whereby their brain doesn’t get the signal that they’re full ?

If someone comes up with a strategy that allows them to achieve the bolded and adhear to it effortlessly, does it matter if said Person eliminates some foods that potentially trigger problems (on the proviso they are still obtaining all essential micro nutrient needs) ?

One of the keys to low carb diets is minimizing insulin levels in the blood stream. Low GI foods means your insulin levels dont sky rocket, they are kept at a lower average resulting in more fat burned.

1 Like

Ciao @bltn

From what you said below I don’t see the issue as I think we are agreeing on the key principals of eating quality foods (whole foods), and watching the amount you eat. That’s what you are doing - hence my comment that it’s not complicated or magical.

Yes I’m lean, and that’s my make-up. But I’m still careful with my diet and exercise because I want to be healthy (and it’s not just about weight). I could easily add on unhealthy weight - i.e. thin on the outside:fat on the inside.

No single food or food group is going to kill you - you can eat and enjoy most things - just do it in moderation and consume more of the better ones and less of the bad ones. It’s about balance and enjoying life. One knows what is good and bad for them, although the industries around diet (I hate the word diet because the modern connotation of that word means denial and the negativity associated with it) makes it anything but simple as they want to sell you something.

You’ve found what works for you, which is great. Although knowing you have cut back on pasta is saddening to an Italian… :slight_smile:

5 Likes

I know you put the caveat “eat sensibly” but the “kilojoules in / kilojoules out” simply doesn’t hold up.

10000 kilojoules from sugar is not the same as 10000 kilojoules from vegetables or meat. I know this is an extreme example but virtually the entire diet industry is based upon this and just rolls from low fat to low carb to meal replacement drinks to juices to whatever they can make money off.

I actually wish my test had come back saying I was coeliac. I had adjust to zero bread, pasta, noodles etc.

FODMAPS is the worst. How to cut out garlic, wheat, onions etc. It isn’t zero tolerance…you can start adding them back in after working out what impacts you.

Anyway, just back from the doc. Cardiologist said all good. Doc said high end cholesterol - so tests again in 6 weeks.

6 weeks of zero sugar, zero wheat - lets see what happens to weight and blood.

2 Likes

It actually does. The content of said kilojoules will certainly impact on your health but if you consume less than you exert then you will lose weight … sure you won’t be healthy if you eat cake all day and nothing else but then that’s hardly sensible.