The mental health thread

Thoughts with you, Gabe.

2 Likes

I second this.

2 Likes

Nothing is too big or small mate, letting it out even on a forum can be helpful, sometimes itā€™s the only place you can let it out. When youā€™re ready weā€™ll be here to listen.

1 Like

I went to a call last night where a person had tried to take their life. Sad scene. They were alone. Not even the neighbours looking over the fence to see what was happening. It seemed like no one cared
Every year before Christmas we see a rise in this type of situation.
Please take 5 minutes out of you day to say hello and ask others how they are, or pay a compliment, anything. Let people know that they arenā€™t alone or donā€™t have to feel alone.

10 Likes

Thanks mate.

Day 16 of no meds. I had terrible joint pain last week which, thankfully, has subsided. Iā€™m not dizzy or light headed anymore. No mental health issues, my anxiety is in check. Iā€™m still very tired, but that might be due to the time of year, busy at work and taking on an extra unit of study in my masters program (sometimes i donā€™t help myself ).

Moral of the story-- withdrawal requires support and kindness. You all have provided both. Thank you.

I look forward to meeting you all/catching up in various stages of drunkenness as we celebrate a Bombers premiership next year. We ā– ā– ā– ā– ā– ā– ā–  deserve it.

13 Likes

Yes Iā€™ll keep you to that promise. I am a non-alcoholic AA person. I WILL still celebrate with you big time sometime soon with something. I look forward to that. What a day it will be for all of us.

4 Likes

Day 19? Howā€™s it going @Heffsgirl?

1 Like

Really good thanks. No more side effects. Just in time for Christmas.

Thanks for asking.

11 Likes

Thatā€™s great to hear HG!

3 Likes

So over a month of not smoking pot and wow everything seems to be coming together so well. (Its been hard to get here)
Conducted a 2 hour meeting at work today to adjudicate the state rosters for the next month with all mangers and without having tickets on myself obsoletely kicked ā– ā– ā– ā– . Was pulling Enterprise agreement quotes left right and centre and had to correct quite a few of my superiors( In a diplomatic way). Had quite a few red faced :joy:

My Supervisor even stayed backed and commented on how I seemed a walking encyclopaedia of all the procedures and just said them on the fly even correcting the GM I actually astounding myself, I did work hard to prepare and now realise that pot was my downfall.

I still donā€™t sleep well but it is getting better (last night was great no crazy dreams) and will have few beers of a night and smoke cigarettes.

Have been in a really happy place the last two weeks and talking to people more candidly, I actually think I am freaking people out at work as I am this new person, but I do remember how some used to walk over me, karma is a ā– ā– ā– ā– ā–  baby!

Stick in there everyone suffering from depressing and find the reason no matter how long it takes because when you come out the other end it is really enlightening.

BTW If I ever become filthy rich and can live beside the ocean and not worry about things I will smoke pot but right now I need to use my brain and not dull it.

11 Likes

Bravo!

I think finding your individual way is so important.

Looks like youā€™ve nailed it.

1 Like

Thank you! Anxiety was a bit much a first but getting a hold of that, spending time in the garden doing little things around the house to chill, eating well ( was always conscious of that though) talking on here with fellow brothers and sisters.

Getting the balance right, sort of overwhelming in a good way, so many good feelings coming at once.
Very blissful its uncanny, I like to post my updates as it helps to express how I am feeling, hope I donā€™t seem self indulgent and maybe someone else might find find some benefit from it as well.

9 Likes

Not self indulgent at all. Youā€™ve found a way through a complex maze that defies many.

I donā€™t know you at all but I feel very proud.

Aww thanks again, this sort of feedback and support just makes it all the worth while. I really hope it lasts and I know I am not going back to what I think caused it.

Bit weird but Essendon related my Mother (RIP 98 she died, just when we coming good) always used to say your only downfall is smoking pot.
Move on to later when I wouldnā€™t smoke pot we would win and when I did we be all laconic and become Essington and lose games we should win.
Then the drug thingā€¦I know weirdā€¦Ok I should shut up

Lol life has a way of being weird. Itā€™s kinda like itā€™s throwing you a different perspective to see how you deal with it.

2 Likes

Iā€™m pretty much over my anxiety now.

However itā€™s always there lurking in the background but Iā€™ve learned to watch for triggers. One major trigger still for me is social media. Particulary Twitter . To me itā€™s become a place where people identify as labels , and feel the need to scream at others about their labels. Whereas once you may be having a disagreement with maybe one or two people in your immedaite social or family cirlces from time to time, Twitter brings in a thousands arugments to your door everyday if you choose to bite. Found myself thinking about stupid twittier interactions througout my day when I wasnā€™t even on Twitter which caused anxeity and ruminating throughts to creep back in.

So iā€™ve revised the way I approach social media, and even Blitz, trying to follow the ā€™ Three Sievesā€™ rules:

1. Is it neccesary to respond or comment?
  2. Is it true?
  3. Is it nice?

Also deleted Twitter and Faecbook from my phone. If i find myself searching for them as a default behaviour I try and go find the kids or my wife to do something with them and be more in the moment with them, doing things that matter.

13 Likes

Iā€™ve bumped my fitness up, mainly due to the weather. 2 10 k runs a week and a strength session. Dog still beats me home in the runs but.

My eye did something weird and I lost control of it the other week. Then one side of my body. Got the car to work, dumped some stuff without looking ā– ā– ā– ā– ā– ā–  then rang someone to pick me up.

Had bloods done, cat scan and nothing came up. then fell off a fence at my kids cricket and cracked the back of my skull on bitumen.

Had an MRI and it was fine. A mate whoā€™s an ambo said it sounded like a TIA but nothing came back in the rest. He then said stress. Spoke about strokes, heart attavks, seizures the lot.

So Iā€™m running. A guy I work with saw me the other day and said it reminded him of cliff young, just slower.

11 Likes

Is it important and does it really matter in the greater scheme of things?

1 Like

Regularly running nearly doubled the number of surviving newborn neuronal cells in amounts similar to other enriched conditions.(R)

Sustained exercise is one of the most effective ways to increase neurogenesis. It stimulates BDNF, GDNF, and improves memory. Effects of interval exercise are minor .

1 Like

An important article for all men to read.

Many of us, push our friendships aside for ā€˜prioritiesā€™ in domestic relationships and family life.
Then when life throws us blows, there is no support system to hold us up. Iā€™ve been guilty of this many times, but itā€™s definitely a reminder to put in the hard yards to keep friendships active. Putting healthy boundaries and habits in place with partners and family to spend time with friends is vital.

But we also must get past the surface level conversation, and get deep if need beā€¦ thatā€™s the responsibility of men. We must talk about sh*t thatā€™s deep sometimes.

4 Likes