The mental health thread

That is hilarious and sad at the same time.

I do get plenty of people can use marijuana without any issues and enjoy its pleasant side effects.

But it is also a very dangerous substance for some people in regards to their mental health.

Ask your local shrink or GP.

2 Likes

Without trying to sustain the bunfight, you are coming across as very patronising when bacchus and others have been pretty clear they donā€™t want your input. This thread so far has been an open forum for people to share very bad experiences and bad times and hopefully feel supported rather than judged.
Maybe leave it?

Thatā€™s a rather polite way to say f off.

Im not lecturing anyone on using marijuana. But it should be pointed out that people who suffer from really serious mental health conditions are advised not to go near marijuana and that heavy users are at a higher risk of suffering poor mental health outcomes.

I think thatā€™s a reasonable thing to bring up in a thread on mental health.

I donā€™t give a flying if it sounds patronising. Why not start a smoking pot thread?

1 Like

There are many uses for it and a very broad spectrum of experiences with it, many relevant to the topic of mental health. I donā€™t think anyone here is trying to promote it. Itā€™s just a discussion, with which I am done in the current context.

Not directing that you specifically HAP

1 Like

That does sound stressful. (being on call all the time).

A mate of mines mental health has hit major skids, simply from having to take shift work. Knocking off at 2am every night.

He was in TV production, had to quit his otherwise dream job and is really gutted. Broke up with his missus and is now on meds.

1 Like

And it actually helps some people - as bacchus has detailed.

So your point is made.

I gave up drinking for 18 months when I became a dad.
It wasnā€™t a conscious decision. After about 6 months I realised I actually havenā€™t had more than ā€˜a beerā€™ in that time.

The issue I had during this time, was I went out with my mates to the pubā€¦ instead of having 2-3. Iā€™d end up having 8-9 beers. ā€œMake the most of itā€ I thought.

Itā€™s the next few days which is the kicker. I found good Parenting was impossible after a large night. I think about all those times my head has been cloudy because of been hung over most of my adult life, and it was normal.

But I just feel like the hang over isnā€™t worth it anymore. Iā€™m better at work, and more present at home.

7 Likes

it is but you have to laugh about it

1 Like

Thatā€™s what Iā€™m trying to do. Some weeks I succeed, others not so much.

2 Likes

Yes. Iā€™ve been taking sertraline for a few months and I only get refills for 30 days at a timeā€¦ if I miss two or three days I get really tired.

The last time I used up all my refills it took me a couple of weeks to get a new prescription, and I was sleeping so late some days that I thought I had mono (I think you call it glandular fever).

1 Like

The deeper I go with no alcohol the more i dread the hangover. Itā€™s a good thing.

2 Likes

Sorry if Iā€™ve cut in on the wave here and have no idea who said what about who.

Iā€™ll openly say my early health problems started after a bit of pot use, then a fair bit when covering it up. Until medication played a role.

I donā€™t think vanders comments are naive or patronising in any sense, depending what commentary lead up to it.

Some build a lifestyle around pot without any detrimental effects while some it can fk right. Iā€™ve got my own opinions but theyā€™re from my own experiences.

Any ones opinion that comes from who hasnā€™t lived it is a pretty dumb opinion.

What do you play?

Most psychologists would beg to differ

I play guitarā€¦if thatā€™s what you are asking

Jammed for first time on Friday with Anxiety Grips. Good fun

2 Likes

Goody for them.

I donā€™t reckon they would, actually.
They make a pretty big point of not judging people

Indeed

Not judging someone (especially a client in this context) is very different from not having an opinion about their issues.

I work with a lot of psychologists. I live with one. Iā€™m not one. Itā€™s actually a part of my own personal struggle.

1 Like