The mental health thread

Just to let you know that while you and I have gotten into it on a few occasions I am sure if we ever met in real life we would get along just fine. You have a good heart and that comes through.

6 Likes

If I die today, would anyone know and anyone care?
I think the answer to that is always yes.

Sometimes it is a blessing if old - demetia and they are not their true self, but they will still be missed by those left behind.

Just following up from this: last time I opened up and confided in a close friend I felt like Iā€™d damaged our relationship. The discussion involved a couple of things theyā€™d done that had been hurtful or disappointing to me, which they then turned back onto me as my problem. I felt I had to fix the damage Iā€™d done by bringing anything up, or addressing how I was feeling.

Another example: a friend of my actually attempted to take their own life a couple of years ago. They survived, but felt they needed to confide in a few close friends and family about it, as part of getting through. Her brotherā€™s reaction was to cut off contact with her, and no longer let his children visit her. The best he could offer was a few memes of clouds with proverbs written on them.

Thatā€™s why people donā€™t talk.

3 Likes

Thanks everyone, I appreciate the support. I have just had the worst case of flu I have ever had so making me a little ā€œdownā€ coming out the other side. I get that after being sick. Overall I am fine, just fragile and need to be careful. I have strategies in place to deal with it.

Just sharing the thoughts that afflict me to show others that there are plenty of people who do understand the thoughts we all struggle with. Also to apologise to anyone I might argue with, sorry for being a bit of a goose at times.

13 Likes

Last night at work an RUOK sign fell down. I dutifully put it back up realising that itā€™s been six years and nobody has ever asked me.

1 Like

Thatā€™s horrible Zimmer, I am so sorry you went through that. And yes, that is why people donā€™t talk.

Some people cannot cope with that level of emotion, so instead of being honest they throw it back at the person. I had that with a work colleague. They noticed I was down once and asked me about it as a show of concern. When I shared my struggle over the years they flinched, physically flinched. Then told me they donā€™t get suicide and called anyone who did a coward, then spoke how a close friend tried to commit suicide. After that they stopped talking to me ever again. I later found out their father had committed suicide and they could never deal with it and hated him for it.

2 Likes

it is interesting why people argue incessently on a forum.
like the climate change thread and sorfed just like ground hog day everytime head in there.
Mods on here are pretty good though and will bring anyone in to line if they overstep the mark.
And we all have a connection the club that brings its highs and lows.
Sometimes I think people can be there true self on here, as it doesnt really matter what the other keyboard warriors think.
But yeh if it gets too much and is making you angry time to switch off for a while, same with Instagram, facebook, phone screen time you can lose half an hour doing nothing, and it doesnt make you that happy.
I know I generally cant go on here after a loss till like the next day and everythings cooled down a little bit.

4 Likes

Timely article:

The number of people worldwide who die from suicide is declining but one person still kills themselves every 40 seconds (sic), according to new figures from the World Health Organization

1 Like

I just want to echo the words of others, I know we donā€™t see eye to eye on the Woosha thing, but what would the world be if everyone agreed? I enjoy our debates, and genuinely know you want the best for the club just like I do (and everyone here), and that extends for eachother, weā€™re a community and certainly have your back mate, PM me anytime, I also live in inner city Melb, and who doesnt love a beer and a chat about the dons!

4 Likes

There are two ways those threads can go. Sometimes being critical or debating or even angry can be good as you are letting out your frustration on the internet and not on yourself or those around you.
Where we have to be careful is when it becomes personal and online bullying. In the Worsfold thread it does become very heated and maybe has gone a bit over the top with some baiting, but I donā€™t think I have read in there any personal abuse.

Perhaps when some of us negative/pessimistic blokes start calling out people like BSD and others who are more positive when we get thrashed is probably a but too far. That is probably the worst of it I think (probably wrong)

1 Like

That reminds me of when my belovedā€™s department in local government had a meeting organised with the mayor. They had been copping some flak and the idea of the meeting was for the mayor to express how valued they were in the organisation. The meeting was cancelled (not even postponed) becuase the mayor had a clash of commitments.

So @Hambo are you O.K. ?

2 Likes

Thats how i sometimes try and explsin it to people.
You can have 10 exact say days where everything can be and happrn the same, and you can have 10 different levels of reactions, good and bad to the exact same things.

1 Like

Thanks for asking @up_up. Yes Iā€™m OK now but there have been times over the last few years that havenā€™t been so good. Was too busy propping up other people and neglecting myself.

2 Likes

I think this applies across the forum in general. Most people are actually very decent and online personaā€™s often paint an innacurate picture.

7 Likes

Good to hear about your current wellbeing @Hambo , glad you have gotten through the tougher times. Just because youā€™re someoneā€™s pillar, doesnā€™t mean youā€™re made of stone.

2 Likes

Iā€™m glad I came into this thread, been a long long time since I have been in this thread. It has opened my eyes about a few things and one being how to conduct yourself online and during arguments/discussions.

I probably need to apologise to quite a few posters

4 Likes

Outstanding post @rossoneri.

Iā€™ve been having negative thoughts since I was 17 in 2012. I was a bright student throughout primary school and most of high-school, but my grades fell apart in Year 12. Iā€™m extremely lucky they didnā€™t affect my chances of getting into the uni course I was aiming for.

But the thoughts were there even after HS. Throughout uni, the negative thoughts would ALWAYS be at the back of my mind. I didnā€™t think much of them at the time, and simply thought Iā€™d get over it. I finished my law degree in June 2018, and then I completely lost it. I started having nervous breakdowns regularly and stopped leaving the house. And then it got to the point in August 2018 where I was being hospitalised every second day because the breakdowns were becoming more frequent and I began to self-harm.

My parents, who have been together for 40 years, almost separated because of this. My mum started to become sick, and I couldnā€™t imagine what my dad was going through, considering he already has a bad history of heart problems.

I began seeing a psychologist shortly afterwards who has been incredible. Thankfully, I am enjoying my life now and I havenā€™t been this positive since pre-2012. But depression ā– ā– ā– ā– ā– ā– ā–  sucks, it slowly eats someone away until they decide to take matters into their own hands. As WOB said earlier in this thread, there ARE people who love you, and you ARE worthy.

13 Likes

I get what youā€™re saying, but I donā€™t think having ā€œmade their mind upā€ indicates the lack of agency people with extreme depression experience.

Good on you Rocky, canā€™t be easy sharing that and great to hear that you are enjoying life and things are positive.

4 Likes

Iā€™m actually very nice in real life and very tame, I got Koala to be celebrant for my wedding!

Iā€™ll admit I get torn into arguments, in my defence itā€™s hard to remain civil at times when you get unprovoked replies like ā€œyour posts are just negative BSā€.

3 Likes