The mental health thread

Thanks BSD

1 Like

I recommend a podcast called ‘The Imperfects’ by Hugh van Cuylenburg and Ryan Shelton.

Great ep with Hugh’s wife on her OCD struggles and eps with Jack Watts and Claire Bowditch. The guests cover a great range of mental health issues and talk very candidly about the impact on their lives, how they deal with their particular issue and how friends and family have helped/hindered their journey. Listening to the life stories could be helpful for both those that do and don’t live with negative mental health.

2 Likes

Thought I’d follow up with some good news and that is that I got the job that I really wanted.

I’m now an environmental artist with the Trackman company, who make golf simulators and other cool stuff.

28 Likes

was thinking this was a very technical term for a hedge trimmer.

but congrats non-the less.

getting a job goes a long way to help deal with anxiety and depression (doesn’t solve it, but helps a bit i found).

1 Like

Yeah, it’s funny because I say that and people ask me “huh? Environment? Like, ecology?”

Nah, it’s just 3D artwork for gaming.

1 Like

That sounds like a fun job. Can you put a spectator in an Essendon guernsey somewhere in the background?

2 Likes

Maybe if I get to do Kingston Heath or something :wink:

2 Likes

Ha! That would be ace.

RU OK? Day today, apparently. I’m a bit cynical about this short-lived focus in the day to day work and home environment but I guess if it benefits some people in some way then it’s a good thing overall.
If I’m honest, I’m struggling with domestic problems at the moment and it’s pretty depressing on top of some unrelated health issues. I’ll get over it, just not sure how yet…
Anyway, just hoping all Blitzers are doing okay, especially all those under serious lock down (which at least I’m not, in QLD).

7 Likes

Since it’s R U OK day I thought I may as well open up a bit. It’s bloody hard for us Vic folk at the moment. It’s quite odd having to live day by day with so much uncertainty and not much to look forward to. A routine is hard to muster, I’ve stacked on weight and I just want to be able to look to the future with hope. Any time I do go out it feels weird. People wearing masks and knowing I have to hurry up and get home. I feel like the mental damage from this pandemic will be felt for a long time to come. I know everyone is going through it too but it just feels so difficult to be hopeful or excited about anything.

8 Likes

And the disaster that is our club isn’t helping any of us.

1 Like

Exactly mate. I know it sounds silly but most of us have this club as our number one passion and outlet. It’s just not as easy for some of us to not focus on it. You can’t turn off love like a switch. My entire life I’ve been a lifer of the club and not much else interests me. Rightly or wrongly that’s how it is and I’m at a loss as to how else I can spend my time. For the most part I enjoy coming here for the community feel. Heck, it’d be manageable if we could at least say you know what, the club is on the right track. But we can’t even do that.

1 Like

I’m tired

3 Likes

Me too. I’ve never done so little and felt so warn out. It’s a weird thing.

1 Like

I’m at a rare day working. I’ve been depressed lately but I don’t want to be involved in some bs fluffy zoom meeting at 1pm. I hate that stuff. I’d rather go somewhere and swear at ■■■■. Letting out a bit of anger works better for me than sitting in a circle singing kumbaya. Gotta figure out a way of telling them to shove their meeting where the sun don’t shine.

4 Likes

have you been working 5 hour straight? time for your lunch break.

1 Like

Zoom/video calling is the worst ■■■■■■■ thing ever. Whether it’s work/family/friends etc it just makes me feel even more isolated. I can’t wait for face to face meetings.

3 Likes

Rescheduled because other management stuff took precedence. I hope it’s one where captain tone deaf CEO sits in the park while everyone else stays at home

2 Likes

Its been a tough few weeks. This image really spoke to me. Hoping to be able to unplug soon. Not going to lie, it has not been good lately.

2 Likes