The mental health thread

Im a bit different. In non covid times i wouldn’t spend a lot of time in business meetings. I don’t enjoy them.

Zoom I find that I am eyeballing people, having much more personal conversations I normally wouldn’t have with. Its not a big part of my wfh day though.

I use chat, phone just as much for communication.

And the ability to get a couple of hours of work done in the comfort of my own distraction free home is a god send.

I hate fluro lit, open plan offices with a passion. And the commute which goes with it…

And I love being able to share my lunch with my loving partner instead of on my own or some guy I work with…

Oh and having time in my day to go for a jog, swim at the local pool, have a hit of tennis instead of commuting… Its dreamy.

My stress levels have disappeared and mental health has never been better.

The one big challenge I guess is career. Finding new opportunities remotely will be difficult. But it has made me realise flexible working is as or more important to me than a pay rise.

5 Likes

That’s great! Will it become part of your normal working routine from now on or will you be back in the office after this passes? I think personally i thrive more in a face to face environment. I do my best work in meetings with groups of people and i’m a lot more efficient when i’m out of the house. It’s probably something i’ll have to adjust to though.

1 Like

Id work from home more. Simply because it enables me to own my own time more and get stuff done.

Work for me goes better in shorter intense blocks then filled with things I want to do. And business focus is more on the outcomes. As it should.

That is what matters.

Focus on what you can do and it really sets you free. That is where WFH kicks ■■■■ imo.

Work environments which limit your own control and put you under pressure. I think theres studies which show this has a detrimental impact to mental health.

When you can own things around your own life you can really flourish imho.

2 Likes

That’s not a subtle ‘White Power’ symbol is it?

Umm, hope not!

Looks very suspicious.

Looks far more like a yoga hinduism pose than an okay and/or white power sign.

4 Likes

looks like the international sign of if you looked you get punched.

3 Likes

It could mean so many things.

If you leave what will make me incredibly hungry in the cooking thread?

I haven’t read this thread much but following this club in particular this year and has taxed me big time mentally, and for what, a bloody game?

If I can offer any advice it would be go back to when football was most happy for you, outside of being a successful team, for me it was a time of no social media, no media saturation like today no spending 24/7 here.

Watch the games and leave it at that, get off social media and watching footy shows and listening to the radio shows and constantly refreshing footy forum sites.

It will save you alot of unnecessary emotions and you might appreciate the football abit more.

10 Likes

I can vouch for that. It’s a lot easier to compartmentalise footy that way. Essendon is ■■■■? So what because it’s not a part of my life at all. I watch the footy, i talk a bit of ■■■■ on here and that’s it. No media, no other games, just Essendon. And Essendon is enough of a head doer without adding the cesspit that is the rest of the AFL landscape.

5 Likes

Yes. In Auslan, we use that handshape for ‘special’, ‘perfect’, ‘■■■■-hole’, ‘don’t/not/no’, and ‘decision’. All with different movements, of course.

3 Likes

Special perfect ■■■■-hole? No decision.

1 Like

There is a lot of truth in that Mr Stallion. Back in the day of VFL when we went to the footy on a Saturday arvo at Windy Hill with an esky full of VB and a group of Mates, we watched the game, win or lose, ranted about a loss as we staggered home, went to bed, watched World of Sport the next day, talked a bit of footy Monday morning at work, then moved on until the next game at Windy Hill, or sometimes elsewhere.

Looking back, especially after this year and our current issues, it seems much happier back then for everyone. How do you re-create that mood though ?

Still possible without the social media frenzy. Requires discipline.

Good call.

I get frustrated and disappointed with poor performances, but I’ve never been one to get angry at them . I much rather winning but losses while disappointing - well I just don’t take them personally. So maybe it’s easier for me. I just remember early days of being interested in football – the early 70s. I can remember tuning into black-and-white replays watching specs Blethyn and other stars and lesser lights with my brother. And having that great feeling of wearing an Essendon jumper and twirling a shoe-polished worn out leather football With a bladder peeking out while we did that. And belting that the footy on the road until we needed the street light. It didn’t really matter If we won or lost, it was just being part of the tribe and having something to hope and cheer for. Call that ‘happy clapper’ if you like, I don’t really care.

It seems these days the demands are greater people expect success. 17 out of 18 clubs won’t have ultimate success in any year, and while we’ve gone far too long without so much as a finals win, I try and take something from the game whether we win or lose. And then don’t worry about it too much until we front up again. Obsessing about who should ‘pay’ for my frustration by being sacked or dropped or whatever has never been a thing for me, mainly because I think anyone who pulls on the jumper is doing their best, but also because my angst would not change a single thing outside my head. I think it helps me not get too tied up and allows me to watch to the end of games even if we are getting belted, and still hope to see something good like a great spoil or first goal or whatever.

To me the game is hundreds of contests and I try and get involved in each of them regardless of what’s happened to that point, and whether or not we are winning/losing.

Like I say maybe this is just easier for me than others so I’m not trying to preach, but if you can focus on the football rather than the scoreboard I reckon the game can still give you moments of joy.

3 Likes

Good advice. It’s what I did. Dis-invest and treat it for what it is, just another form of entertainment that is competing for your attention. Like Stan or Binge or whatever. I still watch occasionally but I’m certainly not hung up on the outcome anymore. There was a time when I couldn’t imagine feeling this way about football but I’m glad I do now.

4 Likes

I’m having a bad week.

It has nothing to do with the job - it’s great so far. I should be getting my first payment in the next day or two, and it’s gonna feel really good.

I just can’t stop fretting about politics. I hate these two presidential candidates so, so, SO much. I’m fighting with everyone. My parents, my siblings, most of my facebook feed, a few people here… and it isn’t like I’m looking for it either. It’s just so in my face all of the time that the only way to avoid it would be to go off the grid completely.

I suppose in the last five years or so, my views have changed a lot… I’ve actually become a bit more radicalized. This has now put me at odds with a lot of people… a lot of people… I’ve been introspective about it constantly, wondering if I’m just being obstinate. But the things I read and see and experience only seem to reinforce what I feel.

I had to leave the US. There were other contributing factors that I’ve mentioned before, but I have more or less given up on it ever reverting into a society I want to participate in. Even not being there I’m stressed out as all hell about it.

I always felt like I ran in circles of articulate, thoughtful, empathetic, rational people… and even all of us have just about damn near lost it.

The next four weeks are going to be excruciating for me. Wish I could take a vacation.

3 Likes

Thats awesome you have a new job @StealthBomber! Hope you find something to treat yourself with your first payment when it comes through. :slightly_smiling_face:.

Thats no good that the worlds news is weighing on your mental health. I guess if its bothering you, the positive is that you really care, and caring is a good thing.

I take it your American, I am sure whatever your political persuasion, life will go on post the presidential election. Have faith that the politics will sort itself out.

I watched a very funny political drama ‘the good fight’ the other night(latest series). It presents an alternate world where the main protagonist wakes up in a world where Hillary Clinton won the electoral race instead of Donald Trump…

Give it a go if you haven’t already. No matter what your political persuasion I think it might lighten the load a little on current issues.

Take care!

1 Like