The named team vs the winless Crows - 2020 round 8

Where would one find this report?

That team is horrendous. Buckle up.

So don’t drop Flippa?

So we are going the no KPP method based on that starting line.

What could go wrong?

EFC posted it a few days ago - I went back to read it because I was curious about the non selection of Stewart

Oh. Not the game that happened today.

Nope! Haven’t heard much about that one. Except that only a few EFC players played.

I thought we were a 6 - 8 ranked side, and with Caracella coming on and implementing the ball movement tactics, I even felt like we were a sneaky chance for 3-5.

Then looking at the way we’ve played last week, and looking at this week’s team, there is no way we are even a top 10 ranked side. Our depth seems very thin.

So many teams have overtaken us, even Carlton and Gold Coast. Not only with the ability of the players on their list but game plans and structures, and the players ability to execute it.

I really feel like our fitness is not that good. Our players’ mental strength, ability to learn the game plan and executing it and players’ leadership ability on the ground are all below average.

I can’t figure out what is going on with this club. You make the final and get thrashed by Sydney. But you add Saad, Shiel, Smith, Stringer and all the development of the younger players, and good assistant coaches and we go backwards. How is that even possible.

What is going on with the form of Zerrett, Fantasia, Smith, Redman, McKernan, Parish, Francis, Hurley, Hooker, Tippa etc. It is like some internal issue is weighing them all down.

Then the team selection…I can’t even comprehend the disaster waiting for us when the oldies retire in the next 2 years, and our youngsters wouldn’t have played much footy at all. There goes another 2-3 years.

8 Likes

Somehow posted reply to wrong post

Yes. If you have followed this team and selection tendencies then Why is his one bad game worse than all of TBC’s half arsed efforts the last 3 years? A senior player that regularly offers nothing is going to waltz back in as some sort of saviour again/ Fire Phillips up and send him out there to atone with an effort that matches his first game against Grundy. Why slide in a guaranteed nothing, we all know TBC at his peak was always a step too late to a contest, now he is 5.

10 Likes

We are cactus. Adelaide somehow, SOMEHOW, go into this game with a better forward line than us. I can’t ever remember fielding a forward 6 or midfield so incapable of scoring goals. The advantage we have over them is out-side run, but even then half the side needs to lift for us to win. Lose and it’s bottom 6 and we’re embarrassingly looking at facing a rebuild after topping up for years.

It’ll happen

I think everyone knows TBell’s best is past him

But even so supposedly through preseason he still had Phillips measure in ruck contests

And based on Phillips opponents being best on ground the last 3 games and our undermanned midfield not being able to cope accordingly (vs Dogs was a disaster) back in TBell comes.

That’s my take on it anyway

This is how it’s going to be until if/when Draper comes on. No pressure kid.

4 Likes

I just can’t see t bell ever returning to any kind of form sadly his body can’t take the demands of AFL, it’s sad we basically have no ruckman since paddy left after 2014

Blows my mind that arguably the best ruckman on our list over the past 2 years has yet to debut and in that time we’ve played McKernan, Luenberger, cooked TB, Zlark & Phillips as first choice ruckman. I know he’s been injured but he should have debuted in 2018, and how long will we wait now?

4 Likes

I know the coaches probably think Draper is not ready. Well he is not going to be ready anytime soon playing in tepid scratch matches.
In another era, another coach had the guts to bring in a schoolboy called Fletcher, and play him in the ruck, and on the best gorilla full forwards of the era from game 1. He was the future, and they were determined to get games into him.
Bite the bullet John, play 2 rucks to get Draper into the big league and at the same time boost the talls down forward. There is no other way !!!

6 Likes

Heppell. Shiel. Stringer. Daniher. Fantasia. Hooker. Ambrose. Cutler.

At start of year would have been 8 of many people’s best 22.

And many of our most important players

Our ruck & kpf situation is dire.

Draper & Stewart are still not quite ready it seems.

Much of our depth not up to it or too inexperienced

We are patched up holding on.

Are the wheels going to fall off vs Crows?

Please just get the win boys!

8 Likes

2 of Phillips opponents are the 2 best ruckmen in the league. Tbell would have fared much worse in those 3 games

12 Likes

Whats wrong with a relatively immobile second ruckman at full forward?. If the rest of the team insist on bombing the ball long aiming for Tippa (mis) matching up on Talia on Sunday arvo, I am going to scream. It will happen, you just know it will, because a similar thing happens every game.

2 Likes

These coaches know full well all the tried and conventional things. Sure. Why not try something very new. Put in a ruckman TBell Phillips, whatever, and put in a really big mobile bloke like SMack as a " ruck rover" SMack is actually quite good below his knees. Put a really big body in there . You know, even bigger than Cripps. SMack has played a lot in the midfield ( albeit as a ruck) and knows the basics of craft and positioning.
As Sheeds used to do, try something new, think outside the square. I am just a bit sick of our midget mids being pushed around by a lot of 6+ft midfielders.

OK, it may be a silly idea, but its not like painting your whole house purple. If it doesn’t work, it can be changed quickly.

3 Likes