The new VFL coach

I think it’s time to take the VFL seriously. I think it’s been noble of the club to use the VFL headcoaching position as a stepping stone position. But, we need to go out and get an oldschool experienced coach that will get this VFL side playing premiership winning football.

I’ve always been of the opinion that if you want to see how well your club is really tracking, have a look at your reserves team. Let’s get it right at the grass roots, pay the money and get the best VFL experienced coach available. Someone that knows the league and the style of football needed to win at that level.

I think it's time to take the VFL seriously. I think it's been noble of the club to use the VFL headcoaching position as a stepping stone position. But, we need to go out and get an oldschool experienced coach that will get this VFL side playing premiership winning football.

I’ve always been of the opinion that if you want to see how well your club is really tracking, have a look at your reserves team. Let’s get it right at the grass roots, pay the money and get the best VFL experienced coach available. Someone that knows the league and the style of football needed to win at that level.

Yep, I agree with this, though I think the VFL/AFL coaches must share a strong understanding, ideology, and bond, must always be on the same wavelength. They should be an extension of each other. The coach should be largely selected by the Seniors coach.

Egan was doing a dual role this year as development and VFL coach, because he wanted the challenge of having his own team (and he seemed to do quite well at both roles). You would expect it to go back to two separate roles again unless someone of Egan coaching talent was looking to take on both.

Either way regardless of the exact nature of the setup, surely the VFL team is all about development, not wins and losses. However, it’s not that they need to be mutually exclusive either. The VFL team has been doing quite well the last few years, while the young talent has generally developed well at both levels. You can coach well while playing the long game development wise.

The most important thing for the VFL is to ready players for the AFL team. As Deckham said The VFL head coach needs to be an extension of Worsfolds plan. And the other senior coaches too. Whether an experienced old head is the best for this role, really depends on the individuals, but I wouldn’t have thought it was a prerequisite for the job.

Egan was doing a dual role this year as development and VFL coach, because he wanted the challenge of having his own team (and he seemed to do quite well at both roles). You would expect it to go back to two separate roles again unless someone of Egan coaching talent was looking to take on both.

Either way regardless of the exact nature of the setup, surely the VFL team is all about development, not wins and losses. However, it’s not that they need to be mutually exclusive either. The VFL team has been doing quite well the last few years, while the young talent has generally developed well at both levels. You can coach well while playing the long game development wise.

The most important thing for the VFL is to ready players for the AFL team. As Deckham said The VFL head coach needs to be an extension of Worsfolds plan. And the other senior coaches too. Whether an experienced old head is the best for this role, really depends on the individuals, but I wouldn’t have thought it was a prerequisite for the job.

I tend to agree.
The head VFL coach needs to abide by the John Worsfold’s plans & preparation. I just think a prerequisite is that the VFL head coach should have past experience in coaching their own team whether that be in the bush, the Amo’s or the VFL.
Recent VFL head coaches have been: Matthew Knights, Adrian Hickmont, Hayden Skipworth & Matthew Egan.

Egan is the most experienced out of that list, and didn’t have experience in coaching his own side.

It needs to happen.

Edit: i was thinking of someone like Brendan McCartney before he joined Geelong.

Having Skipworth coach our VFL team will instantly improve our AFL team.

He’s completely over qualified, but Mark Neeld is the perfect coach to take over Egan’s role of VFL coach/ Development coach.

Kevin Sheedy VFL coach please.
He could add some more VFL Premierships to his name :slight_smile:

Aker

SHEDDY

I’m sure he wouldn’t do it. but I’d love to get someone like Robert Shaw. Old school coach, coaching school footy atm, would be great for the young blokes to learn from.

Gary Ayres is the man

Interview Choco Royal, and then give it to someone else.

Interview Choco Royal, and then give it to someone else.

that would take trolling to a whole new level

DO IT

The coach of Frankston has just become available…

We have the man already in our ranks.

Best First Year Player according to Tiffany. Dan Jordan.

Dan Jordan – Ballarat FNL History

Association Ballarat Football League Club East Point Football Netball Club

Matches 126 Goals 737 Average Goals per Game 5.849

WorkSafe AFL Victoria Country Representative Games

Ballarat FL

Games 7 Goals 24 Average 3.429

Achievements

Interleague Representative 2006, 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2012, 2013

Interleague Captain 2012

Henderson Medal B & F2006

Tony Locket Medal Goal Kicker 2006, 2007, 2008, 2009, 2013

Team of the Year 2006, 2007, 2008, 2009, 2012, 2013

BFNL Coach of the Year 2012, 2013

VCFL Representative 2006, 2007

Coach of the Year in first two years as Coach. East Point didn’t have funds to pay players to come in so developed local talent and was very successful. Can kick straight as well.

Jason Akermanis

I’d be looking at Justin Leppitsch.

I'd be looking at Justin Leppitsch.

If this happens we should have an ongoing slogan at the club.
Essington. Where failed coaches come to reside.

What’s Ken Fletcher doing nowadays? Maybe he is tired of retirement.

Thought without notice…would a certain former wearer of the #5 entertain a return to coaching this way?