The next 2 years

We have one genuinely quick guy, Colyer, on our entire list.
Actually, that's not fair, Dalgliesh.

Freudian slip ??? as in you know Dempsey is definately gone, or you just forget about him. considering he is a certain type of player you love, i'm going with option a

I don't think he is definitely gone, but there is a chance.
Make it stop, right?

Heppel, daniher, zerret, Carlisle, hurley, hooker, Watson are/will be all A graders in 2 years time. Thats enough to win a flag if things go our way. If Zaka can take another small step plus another young mid with speed happy days

Demps, ryder and leroy?

INDIG EXODOUS

Someone like this guy
http://youtu.be/bjMyb6mR0zU

Have you seen much of a young indigenous lad at Norwood called Anthony Wilson?
Reckon he is worth a look, will try to get some footage of him from yesterday where he made Port Adelaide look stupid on numerous occassions with his pace but this is him in action against the Crows reserves a fortnight ago.
Just turned 24 and has genuine pace
http://youtu.be/C0f9UIzk0Ak

I look at Hawthorn with their incredible list of forwards like Breust, Gunston, Roughhead, Smith, Puopolo, as well as all the other goal kickers like Lewis and Rioli and I just can't imagine how we can compete with any of these type of teams anytime soon.

Add the gaping spaces in our midfield when we turn the ball over and I just can't see our list developing to compete with Hawthorn, Freo, Swans.

Worried.

Someone like this guy
http://youtu.be/bjMyb6mR0zU

The saddest part about that video is that I find myself thinking that Walls and Quarterbrain are pleasant to listen to.

Someone like this guyhttp://youtu.be/bjMyb6mR0zU

Have you seen much of a young indigenous lad at Norwood called Anthony Wilson?
Reckon he is worth a look, will try to get some footage of him from yesterday where he made Port Adelaide look stupid on numerous occassions with his pace but this is him in action against the Crows reserves a fortnight ago.
Just turned 24 and has genuine pacehttp://youtu.be/C0f9UIzk0Ak

Oh yeah! Love him, we won't get him though

Yeah the hawks forward line is unbelievable. Id fkn love breust or gunston :frowning:

Did anyone see Wanganeen on open mike he said something very poignant.
"You need a bit of flair to win finals, it's what breaks those games apart"

We sacked Wanga for hitting the post from five metres out against the Bears.

Demps, ryder and leroy?
INDIG EXODOUS

Essington 2015 - 100% vanilla 

BORING 

Requirements to drafting

Plodder

Vanilla

55kgs

Project type

Play HBF

Requirements to drafting
Plodder
Vanilla
55kgs
Project type
Play HBF

Leadership qualities

If we get a jet small forward, reckon we'll finish 4th+ on the ladder.

We need solid citizens like Kade Klemke

I think we have to make a few tough decisions to inject a bit more pace and class.
Of the current crop of senior guys id be asking questions about hocking Myers Stanton Dempsey licha and howlett.
I think we should be aiming to turn over 3 of those guys in the best 22 in a bid find some more pace class poise and an ability to be more consistent in games.

not surprising that most of those players are midfielders. need more pace and class as you say, but also a better defensive work ethic other than simply tackling. you could also ask questions about Melk and zaka in the same instance above.

then you look at the rest of the list, Jetta is now gone and others who need to follow are Hardy, pears.

the wiggle room in the current crop of players to fill the holes we have is very small.

When you take all things into consideration all 3 of bags, hibberd and Hooker are great defenders in a defensive sense. But they are prone to making a few mistakes both defensively but moreso offensively a game which end up costing us goals a game. Hibberd has no also not played out a full season and in later stages of seasons when injuries have caught up with him, he is  a shadow of his confident at best play.

It's harsh on those 3 guys in particular no doubt, their defensive efforts again are mostly sublime, but if you want ot get a contender you can't afford to be giving up easy goals every week from defenders.

Yes we need better skilled players with pace preferably, but we need players who can defend for a whole game, let alone 22 odd games a year plus finals, and we need those players across the whole ground, and esp in the midfield.

There's enough of a core group of players you can build a winning team around but you have to get that right. last night showed the group we have can sustain it for a half at best, when they lose focus they are too easily exploited. It was supposedly a big issue when Knights was around our inability to stop teams scoring multiple goals, yet it still happens 4 years down the track.

ultimately we have a group of players who people get carried away with potential rather than substance. ATM we don't have the players who can stay focussed on all aspects they need to for a qtr let alone 4, let alone 23 weeks, let alone plus finals. It's that simple and the players you brought up I can't see are every going to be able to get to that place, there's too much ingrained bad habits to change them all now. again too many were fooled into thinking it was all Knigts, but we have a 2 time premiership coach after 4 years still scratching his head in regards to taking them from an average team to a contender.

I don't want to sound like a big glass-half-empty guy BUT...

Our list has imbalances and structural problems that need to be addressed but are only going to get worse if Ryder and Dempsey leave.

- Our list is overly stocked with one-paced midfielders, both in our best 22 and developing/depth players. Our preference to continually draft for endurance before speed has left us in this position.

- Dempsey, Colyer, and Edwards are the only players left on the list with anything close to elite leg speed. Demps could be on his way, Colyer hasn't yet played a full season of senior footy, and Edwards is raw and untried.

- Our key position strength is good but we have no depth whatsoever:
- We have only 2 key forwards on our list, 1 who is a still a kid, the other who needs convincing he is a key forward. Both have tremendous upside but need plenty of further development.
- We have only 3 ruckman on  our list, our No 1 ruck who is looking to leave, our No 2 who is coming off an awful, injury riddled season, and our 3rd we wouldn't trust even when we had no ruckmen fit. Also, because of our forward structure we require our ruckman to be de facto key forwards, this limits the field of ruckman we can target as immediate back up. The consequences of Ryder leaving are just too awful to think about.
- We have 5 key defenders on our list - Hooker, Hurley, Fletcher, Pears and Steinberg. Fletch is at or approaching his final season, Pears can't get himself on the park, and Steinberg is undersized and frankly not upto covering anyone other than the oppositions 3rd tall forward

- We have poor depth in midfield. Without Watson or Myers we struggled to win clearances in games throughout the year. Without Heppell playing at 100% we struggled to win at all. Zaka is the only permanent mid (BJ and Chappy rotate through) who links a stoppage win to a mark inside 50 or a goal. Zerrett looks set to develop into another silky outside mid that we need, but other than him no young mids made strides in their development this season.

- We lack flair. Look at the top 5, each team in their best 22 at least 3-4 genuine flair players who can do something special and regularly turn 50/50's in their teams favour with flashes of individual brilliance. Bomber, for all his positives, seemed intent on creating a team of solid, know-what-your-going-to-get types. Our dour, slow, predictable game style for much of the season was the result.

This list right now is just out of the top 6, and a fair way off top the 4 and farken miles away from winning a flag. That rarely turns around in 12 months. I mean sure it might, but... 

As a few have already said, some tough decisions will need to be made if we do intend to challenge soon. And it's not just about using these guys to get good trades (even though most of those mentioned would net us something worthwhile), it's also about moving them out of the way so that the next brigade like Fantasia, Ashby, Gleeson, Aylett, Edwards, Dalgleish, Hams etc can maybe start playing regular footy. Sometimes, a bunch of kids who might make it, is a better gamble than a bunch of solid guys who haven't managed to pull you up the ladder.

Pace is the obvious weakness. It has been for a while. All over the ground, but particularly in the forward line. North farkin destroyed us on the spread last night, and they weren't the first team to do so. Unless that is addressed in any meaningful way, I can't see us winning a flag in the next two years. 

Aside from all that, I'm actually pretty confident about the longer term future, because Joe, Hepps and Zach Merrett will be friggin top level superstars, and I've high hopes for Ashby and Gleeson. Plus, the Hurley / Carlisle combo still has it's best football well ahead of it.      

We have one genuinely quick guy, Colyer, on our entire list.
Actually, that's not fair, Dalgliesh.

Freudian slip ??? as in you know Dempsey is definately gone, or you just forget about him. considering he is a certain type of player you love, i'm going with option a

I don't think he is definitely gone, but there is a chance.
Make it stop, right?

How strong is that chance?

Alot more of what happened this year. Fall over mid season to barely make the 8… will need a miracle in the trade/draft department to change that

Last year we finished mid table (bottom of the top 8). This year we did the same.

I feel we need some changes in the list for us to move to a top 4 team. Or some serious offseason work. Even some basic skills like goal kicking (easy missed set shots in 1st qtr against Roos was costly).

A top 4 team this year would not have lost to St.K, Melbourne, Draw with Carltank.