The Police in the US go APE

Some of my US friends have been advising that this sort of action is increasing in parts of the US.

http://www.news.com.au/lifestyle/real-life/mother-pens-emotive-plea-after-her-18monthold-son-suffers-horrific-burns-after-a-militarystyle-raid-by-georgia-police-went-horribly-wrong/story-fnixwvgh-1226967225786

Mother pens emotive plea after her 18-month-old son suffers horrific burns after a military-style raid by Georgia police went horribly wrong

• 32 MINUTES AGO JUNE 26, 2014

Combat tactics ... Georgia State SWAT police say a review is being conducted into the raid on a Cornelia city suburban house. Picture: Georgia Police Source: Supplied

IT was 3am. Mum and dad were in one bed. Three little girls were in another. An 18-month-old baby was in his cot nearby. Then black-clad men suddenly burst into the room.

There was a deafening roar, a whoosh of air and a blinding flash of light.

Armed Georgia PD SWAT officers stormed into the room, pinning the husband to the ground and handcuffing him. Mum and daughters were shoved into a corner.

Shouting. Screaming.

Smoke.

“I kept asking the officers to let me have my baby, but they said shut up and sit down,” Alecia Phonesavanh says in an emotive online post published yesterday.

Crying.

Something was wrong.

“I heard my baby wailing and asked one of the officers to let me hold him. He screamed at me to sit down and shut up and blocked my view, so I couldn‘t see my son,” Alicia details in her post at Salon.com.

264011-2dc417be-fcb5-11e3-85eb-f305a31fe

Collateral damage ... Bounkham “Bou Bou” Phonesavanh is in a critical condition with severe burns to his face and chest after a police “flash-bang” grenade landed in his crib. Picture: Phonesavanh family, via Salon.com Source: Supplied

“I could see a singed crib. And I could see a pool of blood. The officers yelled at me to calm down and told me my son was fine, that he‘d just lost a tooth.”

The mother of four gives a harrowing account of what she saw when she finally got to see her son in a hospital in the city of Cornelia, Georgia, late last month.

“It was only hours later when they finally let us drive to the hospital that we found out Bou Bou was in the intensive burn unit and that he‘d been placed into a medically induced coma.”

The family had only been staying at her sister-in-law‘s house as their own Wisconsin house had burnt down a few weeks earlier.

His wounds were horrific.

“There‘s still a hole in his chest that exposes his ribs,” she said. “At least that‘s what I‘ve been told; I‘m afraid to look.”

She says her baby — whose real name is Bounkham — paid the price of guilt by association.

“My husband‘s nephew, the one they were looking for, wasn‘t there. He doesn‘t even live in that house,” she wrote on Salon.

“After the SWAT team broke down the door, they threw a flashbang grenade inside. It landed in my son‘s crib.

225760-2e4db1ae-fcb5-11e3-85eb-f305a31fe

War comes home ... Georgia SWAT police engage in an exercise at a university. The need for military-style raids over relatively minor charges has been called into question by American civil liberties groups. Source: Supplied

“After … throwing my husband to the ground, and screaming at my children, the officers — armed with M16s — filed through the house like they were playing war. They searched for drugs and never found any.”

For the past three weeks, Alicia and her husband have been sleeping at the hospital alongside their critically injured son. Since her post, baby Bou Bou has been taken out of his induced coma and transferred to another hospital. His critical wounds are yet to heal.

“Every morning, I have to face the reality that my son is fighting for his life. It‘s not clear whether he‘ll live or die. All of this to find a small amount of drugs?”

The SWAT team used tactics usually reserved for use by military forces in urban battlefields — throwing explosives called “flash-bangs” to overwhelm the senses of people in a confined space before troops storm a building.

War comes home

Since when have toddlers been terrorists?

The north-east Georgia SWAT team have expressed their dismay at the child‘s injuries.

The police officers involved have been called baby killers and received threats following the incident, Sheriff Joey Terrell said.

“All I can say is pray for the baby, his family and for us,” he told CNN.

The Sheriff says the raid followed a confidential tip-off that methamphetamines had been purchased from men only hours earlier at the house the family was staying at. A review was being conducted into the raid, he said.

The nephew, Thonetheva, was later arrested at a different location and now faces drug distribution charges.

Alicia points out that her family is not the only victim of increasingly militarised police raids over minor charges. Her story is but one in a growing list being compiled by the American Civil Liberties Union. Their report, War Comes Home, details 818 such incidents in the United States.

“Now my kids don‘t want to go to sleep at night because they‘re afraid the cops will kill them or their family. It‘s time to remind the cops that they should be serving and protecting our neighbourhoods, not waging war on the people in them.”

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h2YgZX9Thm0

That's terrible, but what are police supposed to do when their government continues to allow guns to be a part of normal society?

Not saying that the mother isn't justified in her horror, but if a 'dealer' took out 2 police officers knocking at the door it would be just as sad.

Overwhelming use of force for Australian laws, but who knows in the USA.

Yeah-nah.

The issue isn't the amount of force per se, but the fact they were obviously  prepared to go in without having any idea who was in the home.

The perp wasn't there.

They threw a flashbomb into an occupied crib.

There could have been three toddlers on the floor by the door for all they knew, or a guy guarding the door with an M-16.

Of all the wars the US have farked up, the War On Drugs is still the biggest.

Unless the nephew was heisenberg himself, that is an extraordinarily large use of force for a minor drug crime.

Of all the wars the US have farked up, the War On Drugs is still the biggest.
Unless the nephew was heisenberg himself, that is an extraordinarily large use of force for a minor drug crime.

Paranoid society

Cops gotta have and use guns because the kids on the street will get them.

Kids on the street gotta have and use guns because the cops will get them.

MERRRIIIICCAAAA

Honestly don't know why any (middle class obviously, not like the poor could leave & the rich can't believe their luck) Americans would continue to live there, between that, the N/S divide (social and political), the black/white divide (social and political), the industry leaving left right & centre, and the ■■■■■ provision of all types of services - I don't really get it.

Cray cray.

http://youtu.be/IgPqUx4c9-M

That's terrible, but what are police supposed to do when their government continues to allow guns to be a part of normal society?

Not saying that the mother isn't justified in her horror, but if a 'dealer' took out 2 police officers knocking at the door it would be just as sad.

Not just do an armed raid on a house because they had a ■■■■■■■ tip-off that someone had dealed meth there? Maybe CONFIRM beforehand? 

This wasn't some kind of do or die super time critical thing...

Honestly don't know why any (middle class obviously, not like the poor could leave & the rich can't believe their luck) Americans would continue to live there, between that, the N/S divide (social and political), the black/white divide (social and political), the industry leaving left right & centre, and the ■■■■■ provision of all types of services - I don't really get it.

hey leave Australia out of this

Not just do an armed raid on a house because they had a ******* tip-off that someone had dealed meth there? Maybe CONFIRM beforehand? 

This wasn't some kind of do or die super time critical thing...

Sounds to me like super-duper-lazy policing above all else.

If they had surveillance on the place for a few days and/or nights, they would have a fair idea if this person was in there or not, and could tone their approach accordingly. If there's one guy with maybe a gun, how about 3-4 cops with bigger guns... if there was a gang of 15, by all means go in with the tear gas & Abrahams tank approach.

But no, we'll just have 15 guys rock up at the same time and shoot everyone and everything.

the US police force has been for some time, and is being, increasingly militarized.

Whatever happened to 'serve and protect?' 

Whatever happened to 'serve and protect?'

They still do. But maybe only themselves.

Honestly don't know why any (middle class obviously, not like the poor could leave & the rich can't believe their luck) Americans would continue to live there, between that, the N/S divide (social and political), the black/white divide (social and political), the industry leaving left right & centre, and the shite provision of all types of services - I don't really get it.

But where would you recommend we go HAP? I would love to return to Oz but that damn "points system" ;)

Maybe Europe but no jobs there at the moment.

Lived in Asia before but it has its own challenges.

Its tough. I know I don't want my 2yo daughter growing up here. Will need to make a call at some stage.

Honestly don't know why any (middle class obviously, not like the poor could leave & the rich can't believe their luck) Americans would continue to live there, between that, the N/S divide (social and political), the black/white divide (social and political), the industry leaving left right & centre, and the shite provision of all types of services - I don't really get it.

But where would you recommend we go HAP? I would love to return to Oz but that damn "points system" ;)

Its tough. I know I don't want my 2yo daughter growing up here. Will need to make a call at some stage.

few hundred clicks north?

■■■■ USA. 

so imagine our population in one big space clunked together... multiple by nearly 4 and you have the amount of registered guns in Merica

that is registered guns....

*shudders*

few hundred clicks north?

Not a bad call actually. Vancouver is beautiful.

Meh. He fit the profile.