The Recruit

Anyone watch the first Episode tonight. Jason Williams stands out straight away as a leader…he is Mark Williams cousin.

Yeah I watched it. Still not convinced any of these guys will do any better than the last batch who played a combined total of zero AFL games.

I assume the Van Unen is not related to our Van Unen since our one came from WA, right?

■■■■■ as show but I will still watch every episode. Van Unen no relation as far as i’m aware. In case anyone didn’t know although most will… Van Unen is now on our VFL list and kicked 3 goals on debut.

Didn’t watch it. Is this the Jason Williams that played TAC for Calder a few years ago? 188cm-ish indigenous bloke in search of a position. Bit like a less flashy Edwards at the time, from what I remember.

If so, between him who spent his junior years on the elite pathway, and Van Unen who’s already playing VFL, it doesn’t sound like the reality of the blokes they’ve got on the show really lives up to the ‘unknown from a local club makes it to the big time!’ marketing angle they try to push…

Didn't watch it. Is this the Jason Williams that played TAC for Calder a few years ago? 188cm-ish indigenous bloke in search of a position. Bit like a less flashy Edwards at the time, from what I remember.

If so, between him who spent his junior years on the elite pathway, and Van Unen who’s already playing VFL, it doesn’t sound like the reality of the blokes they’ve got on the show really lives up to the ‘unknown from a local club makes it to the big time!’ marketing angle they try to push…

Wash your mouth out! TV is real!

Only gonna watch for Stephanie Rice :love:

Screw M Malthouse.

Didn't watch it. Is this the Jason Williams that played TAC for Calder a few years ago? 188cm-ish indigenous bloke in search of a position. Bit like a less flashy Edwards at the time, from what I remember.

It seems this year they’re pushing a bit more of the “guy who might actually play a game if he wins” angle.

Is this the thing with Mick Malthouse on it?

And you would watch it, why?

I’d probably watch it if that senile old peanut wasn’t involved…

So whos the extremely talented pea heart this time?

I’m all in on the entrepreneur. What a loser.

Yeah I watched it. Still not convinced any of these guys will do any better than the last batch who played a combined total of zero AFL games.

I assume the Van Unen is not related to our Van Unen since our one came from WA, right?

Padraig is still on Geelong’s list, has shown good improvement from last season and may yet play an AFL game. The winner, Johann Wagner, wasn’t even state league standard (averaged a ruckmen like 8.1 possessions per game, which for a HFF is abysmal).

Not aware of Dylan being a WA boy, he came through juniors via North Ringwood and the Eastern Ranges, Justin came through the Oakleigh Chargers - cousins at best if they’re any relation.

I think they’ve scrapped a large amount of the criteria from the original concept due to the disappointing batch they got the last time (and I would presume recruiter feedback). They’ve certainly dropped the original “couldn’t have come through the elite pathways” clause, I think there was also a clause where you couldn’t have been on a state league list for at least 2-3 years (if it still exists it has been cut to 1). Plus they actually hired a talent scout for this season in Gary Buckenara, who I would presume personally suggested a few people.

On the Van Unen playing VFL bit - despite playing TAC for Oakleigh, he’d never previously been on a VFL list before this year and the show isn’t current, it films from March into May (so guys can still get signed before the June 30 deadline), and if you are legitimately serious about getting signed it makes sense to go to a state league club to boost your chances of getting recruited if you’re not the winner. Plenty of this year’s crop have gone that route, again a significant departure from the original season when only 2 went that route - Brendan Goss signed with our VFL side (though never debuted), Michael Hutchison continued playing for Aspley, whilst Padraig played for Ireland in the International Cup, which also would’ve been in front of recruiters.

Recruits this season that I’m aware of that have been through elite pathways and/or state leagues:

Brady Egan - TAC (Dandenong '13), VFL (Frankston '14, 0 games)
Fabian Brancatisano (booted episode 1) - TAC (Western '12), VFL (Essendon '13, 3 games; Coburg '14, 3 games)
Jack Dimery - Signed by Geelong to a NSW Scholarship but not drafted
Jackson Sketcher - Ample chances to get seen and be drafted and the obvious example they’ve reduced and/or cut entirely the state league clause. TAC (Sandy '10 - tied with Heppell for Morrish Medal), VFL (Box Hill '11, 2 games); Frankston '12, 15 games; Bendigo '14, 14 games), WAFL (Perth '13, 17 games)
Jason Williams - TAC (Calder '11), VFL (Port Melbourne '12-13, 6 games)
Justin Van Unen - TAC (Oakleigh)
Jordan Treloar - TAC (Northern '10), VFL (Werribee '11-12, 3 games)
Shylo Smith - TAC (Western)

Recruits that have been signed by VFL clubs since the end of May

Justin Van Unen (Essendon) - 1 game
Daniel Cox (North Ballarat) - 7 games
Matt Eagles (North Ballarat) - 8 games, 3 Times in bests, 1 best player
Jackson Sketcher (Frankston) - 7 games
Jordan Treloar (Frankston) - 4 games

I'm all in on the entrepreneur. What a loser.

Perfectly summarises why I watch.

If you watch this show I actively think less of you as a person.

Now if you’ll excuse me, the latest season of The Big Bang Theory has finished downloading on uTorr… iTunes

Now if you’ll excuse me, the latest season of The Big Bang Theory has finished downloading on uTorr… iTunes

LOL

unless you know someone that watches teen wolf you don’t know what rock bottom is.

unless you know someone that watches teen wolf you don’t know what rock bottom is.

My daughter does (cough), anybody got a link to season 5?

I love it too. No idea why. I love Storage Wars, also.

nah sorry, its serioulsy shocking. one hour of mick malthouse acting like hes a demi god over a bunch of starry eyed desperate sub VFL standard players, with a camerawork that makes it look like an ad for Gatorade