The Reigning DJ King (MKV) @Preliminary_Point2...playing some stuff

Do your thing, @Kira

2 Likes

Good set @Hesonlygotaleftfoot

It’s time for DJ LIVE. @JohnRain are you up yet? It would be great if you could kick things off. Here’s a reminder of the rules:

DJ LIVE Rules
All songs must be live recordings.
Each DJ spins ONE triple-play set—all three songs are posted at the same time.
Each punter is allowed 3 votes per set* (e.g., YYY, YYN, YNN, or NNN).
First-to-twentyone voting system.

How to win DJ LIVE
If a DJ attains 21 yes votes they become an official LIVE DJ
The LIVE DJ that gains the highest % becomes the official LL DJ (Lord of LIVE DJ)

(*BTW: Your 3 votes are for the set, not necessarily individual songs. For example, you might really love/hate one song in the set and feel indifferent about the others, so you could use all three of your votes on that song if you wanted to.)

1 Like

Does the live song need to be new to the DJ thread?

1 Like

NO. You can repeat a song that’s been played as long as it’s a live version.

1 Like

Are you going to play live Iron Maiden, @Hoffy? Somebody should do that :slight_smile:

Somebody definitely should. I thought some one else may choose to do that :wink:. It would be an auto ‘yep’ from me.

2 Likes

KoK is in the building and will be posting the first DJ LIVE set shortly :slight_smile:

1 Like

This is a difficult challenge. In my teens/early 20s in the late 80s/early 90s, Staley, Cobain, Weiland, Vedder, & Cornell were the ‘big 5’ vocalists. So, I have decided to include 3 live songs from these giants (before they were Fubar from drugs).

1 Like

I know this set well do well just by who it is.

However Im going to vote on the live sets using a pretty simple test. Would I choose to listen to this rather than the recorded version or did it give me something different. Other people may vote differently and appreciate the energy or rawness of live performance. Outside of Queens Live Aid gig I’ve never really got into that side of Live performances.

On this basis.

NNY

Absolutely love the Niravna unplugged, thats the ultimate example of what I’m looking for from live sets. Completely changed up Nirvanas approach, highlighted the song writing without Nirvanas trademark rawness in recordings. It was done so well and generated so many copy cats.

P.S do you reckon we are a chance to play all of that Queen set collectively. Odds on.

2 Likes

That was shortlisted, but felt too obvious for mine.

Same goes for the live studio option. Too clean. As you said, my only criteria was that it be a (raw) live performance that was as good as (or close enough) to the recorded version.

2 Likes

That’s a good strategy.

I’m gonna play obscure weird stuff that nobody has ever heard. That way it will be the best version you’ve ever heard. It’s a foolproof plan.

5 Likes

A bit obvious for you Johnny, and I had a substantially better STP track lined up that you may have now killed, but still…

YYY

1 Like

Thinking of obvious. I reckon we are going to hear a lot of.

Jimi- Woodstock
Queen - Live aid
Nirvana - unplugged
Pink Floyd - Pompei

4 Likes

I don’t like Nirvana much, but, it’s still YYY from me.

NNY (PP)
YYY (Peos)
YYY (Kira)

7-2
350%

1 Like

Nah, please play it, man. STP rocked.

1 Like

It was for this reason I wasn’t keen for the concept and I was determined to hate it from the outset.

Y- Didn’t want to like it but got sucked in.
N-Didn’t enjoy.
Y-I must be one of the few people on the planet that don’t give a toss about Nirvana (edit: and Kira). I respect what they did for the genre but they do not interest me one iota. Now disregarding everything I just said, this just sounds tip top and my conscience wouldn’t let me say no even though i wanted to.

3 Likes

NYY

N to STP, as I just find that song a bit straight ahead boring, and that version did nothing to change that for me.
Y to AIC because I liked the song and the implementation.
Y to Nirvana, although the song choice was a bit obvious (although I had “about a girl” on my list of possibilities)

Happy to hear “obvious” live performances, because they’re not always obvious to everyone. (I have one lined up that I think is completely obvious, but wasn’t in the list above.)

2 Likes

Live DJ King is a great concept, but so dayum difficult to put a 3 song set together. Go with the classics? Mix up genres? Have a theme? (mine was 3 raw/live performances from my fav vocalists when I was coming of age that matched their studio recordings). Live concerts or live studio recordings? I almost went with one song from the 70s/80s/90s. Many considerations.

Anyway, I am happy to be the guinea pig. Thanks for setting this up, Kira, and thanks to @Crazy_Bomber for the cool concept. I remember @Clark_Griswold once had a great idea that never saw the light of day.

5 Likes

Hahahha. Well find something that is meaningful to you and play it. Recording quality can be rubbish, it can be taken by someone with their mobile phone in the midst of the mosh. It might just open peoples eyes.

The stereotyped massive stadium show from the mega-band isn’t the only type of live performance, and isn’t the best type of live performance. Play us something you love. (It will get voted down, but understand that this place would vote through Livin’ on Prayer 10-0, but would argue about the quality of production on a Miles Davis set.)

5 Likes