The Sameolds2010 PomCom Thread

Watching snuff box atm - what's toast of London
It's on Netflix

Watched first episode and shows promise.

If you’re after some high brow comedy, you can’t go past Bottom. Rik Mayal and Adrian Edmenson are brilliant together.

Anarchy.
Halloween episode

If you're after some high brow comedy, you can't go past Bottom. Rik Mayal and Adrian Edmenson are brilliant together.

Do we have different understandings of what high-brow comedy is?

Series 1 of I’m Alan Partridge might be the most perfect comedy series ever made.

If you're after some high brow comedy, you can't go past Bottom. Rik Mayal and Adrian Edmenson are brilliant together.

I consider Monty Python etc high brow (eg philosophers song), whereas Bottom with it’s flatulent humour etc the complete opposite

Series 1 of I'm Alan Partridge might be the most perfect comedy series ever made.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m4T_4uLQ7e0 "■■■■■■?" :D

I consider Monty Python etc high brow (eg philosophers song), whereas Bottom with it’s flatulent humour etc the complete opposite

So do I.

Monty Python
Pete & Dud (not Derek & Clive)
The Goodies
Fawlty Towers
Ripping Yarns
The Frost Report

high-brow

The Young Ones
The Office
anything deriving from YTO

low-brow

“He is Mr. Numero… One.”

Series 1 of I'm Alan Partridge might be the most perfect comedy series ever made.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m4T_4uLQ7e0 "■■■■■■?" :D

https://www.google.com.au/amp/www.independent.co.uk/arts-entertainment/tv/news/fawlty-towers-funniest-british-sitcom-comedians-alan-partridge-steve-coogan-a7509321.html%3Famp

How is goodies high brow? Would have thought they’d be middle of the road.

Yes minister was one of those shows I used to laugh at cause dad did. Never got it.

So do I.

Monty Python
Pete & Dud (not Derek & Clive)
The Goodies
Fawlty Towers
Ripping Yarns
The Frost Report

high-brow

The Young Ones
The Office
anything deriving from YTO

low-brow

There are so many you can add to the low-brow ones.

On the Buses
The Rag Trade
Are You Being Served? (Mrs Slocombe’s pussy)
The Carry On movies
Etc ad infinitum

It’s a great English tradition, straight from the music halls.

It’s not always easy to draw the line. Where does Tony Hancock fit, with Tony trying so hard to be posh and Sid James puncturing him every time? Or The Good Life or To The Manor Born, in which the characters are posh but the humour is completely devoid of cleverness?

Nobody’s mentioned Yes, Minister and Yes, Prime Minister. They were more conventional sitcoms, but brilliant scripts and acting and very funny.

I’d have thought the Goodies did a fair bit of stuff that nuffies would laugh at but think “where does that come from, I don’t quite get it”, whereas low-brow is scatology, cringe and catchphrases which derive straight from panto.

I regard Hancock’s Half Hour as a forerunner to Seinfeld where the characters sit around with a cheerless heater on a Sunday afternoon at 3 Railways Cuttings, East Cheam, discussing, essentially, nothing.

I’ve never got Seinfeld. Numan was the only funny one but his best stuff was in third rock.
There doesn’t seem to be any funny comedies out in the U.K at the moment. I’m giving toast a run - what’s hi de hi like?

I'd have thought the Goodies did a fair bit of stuff that nuffies would laugh at but think "where does that come from, I don't quite get it", whereas low-brow is scatology, cringe and catchphrases which derive straight from panto.

Anyone remember this bit from the Goodies and the Beanstalk?

John Cleese, who appears briefly as a genie at the end of the episode, says “And now for something completely different”, a popular Monty Python’s Flying Circus catchphrase. When told to leave, he shouts “Kid’s programme!” and disappears. (This was actually a friendly jibe at the Goodies, as the Goodies and the Pythons are good friends who had collaborated many times.)

There’s also a bit in the Goodies where someone tells Graeme the day and time and he freaks out, saying ‘We’re going to miss it!’
He turns on the tv and catches the closing credits of Python.
The audience cheers, and Graeme says something like, 'That was close. We nearly missed the start of (some rubbish show that no-one cares about).

Still, it’s funny that Cleese jokingly called it a kid’s show. Because a lot of the early episodes contained nudity.
It’s also racist as ■■■■ and not a friend of Dorothy.

I've never got Seinfeld. Numan was the only funny one but his best stuff was in third rock. There doesn't seem to be any funny comedies out in the U.K at the moment. I'm giving toast a run - what's hi de hi like?

I thought that when Larry David was heavily involved, Seinfeld had some brilliant episodes but not after he left.

Couldn’t cop Newman.

I'd have thought the Goodies did a fair bit of stuff that nuffies would laugh at but think "where does that come from, I don't quite get it", whereas low-brow is scatology, cringe and catchphrases which derive straight from panto.

John Cleese, who appears briefly as a genie at the end of the episode, says “And now for something completely different”, a popular Monty Python’s Flying Circus catchphrase. When told to leave, he shouts “Kid’s programme!” and disappears. (This was actually a friendly jibe at the Goodies, as the Goodies and the Pythons are good friends who had collaborated many times.)

There’s also a bit in the Goodies where someone tells Graeme the day and time and he freaks out, saying ‘We’re going to miss it!’
The audience cheers, and Graeme says something like, 'That was close. We nearly missed the start of (some rubbish show that no-one cares about).

Still, it’s funny that Cleese jokingly called it a kid’s show. Because a lot of the early episodes contained nudity.

Cleese appeared with the guys from The Goodies in a radio show called I’m Sorry, I’ll Read That Again.

Pun Central

Cleese appeared with the guys from The Goodies in a radio show called I’m Sorry, I’ll Read That Again.

Pun Central

I thought I’d heard a bit of that show, but it turns out it was I’m Sorry, I haven’t A Clue.
It was this bit.
From headlines from Hamlet:
Graeme Garden: “The Guardian: Yesterday’s headline ‘Laughter at Elsinore’ should have read ‘Slaughter at Erinsbrough’”