The Squad. Essendon vs the Filth, 7:40pm Thursday 16th at Etihad

Tall forward depth is being fully tested in the very first game of 2017. But Laverde and Langford could play those roles at a pinch even though they are not exactly "tall" .

No chance I’d say. They’ll play Brown and Stewart in the KPF roles, and maybe McKernan if they get excited about it.

B: Baguley Hurley Ambrose HB: Kelly Brown Gleeson C: Goddard Heppell Zaharakis HF: Fantasia McKernan Walls F: Green Stewart Laverded Foll: Leunberger Watson Z.Merrett I/C: McGrath Colyer Langford Parish Howlett Hocking Myers Long

Emg: Dea Bird J.Merrett

That typo is enough for me to never, ever, call him anything other than Tippa.
Crisis Laverded.

Does anyone know how many players are allowed in the team-will this squad be trimmed or will they all play?

Does anyone know how many players are allowed in the team-will this squad be trimmed or will they all play?

Trimmed to 26 on game day

Very strong squad, based on who is available / recovering. Pies reported as resting a few senior players, Pendles possible out. We know it is only a meaningless practice match, but it would be good for player morale to come out of it with a win.

A really good team. I would have liked to see Much but I guess they are being eased into it. It’s a shame that our 2 tall forwards are injured together. Hopefully our smaller forward line which suddenly looks potent will cause some havoc.

Tall forward depth is being fully tested in the very first game of 2017. But Laverde and Langford could play those roles at a pinch even though they are not exactly "tall" .

No chance I’d say. They’ll play Brown and Stewart in the KPF roles, and maybe McKernan if they get excited about it.

What I mean is, if we lose any more tall forwards due to injury we have to start improvising. But TBH, I forgot about McKernan.

Collingwood missing 6 of their best 8, Hope we smash em.

Then again a blitz melt after a loss would be fun.

What I mean is, if we lose any more tall forwards due to injury we have to start improvising. But TBH, I forgot about McKernan.

Pies have not key defenders, they picked up that spud Lyndenn Dunne to play defence. Reid won’t be playing Thursday.

Pies have not key defenders, they picked up that spud Lyndenn Dunne to play defence. Reid won’t be playing Thursday.

Since we won’t have any key forwards, it shouldn’t be too much of an issue for them. But I think we will smash them into next week with that squad regardless.

■■■ were gonna smash em

Guys missing who I feel are completely fit and could have been named…

Ridley
McKenna
McNiece
Mutch
Clarke
Redman
Begley

Dont worry about tall forwards, just play Green , Tippa and Fanta down there and kick grubbers inside 50.

McGrath will get games (2 or 3) leading into round 1. He’s ready to go. Long, another pleasant addition. Anyone on the LTI list to make way for him?

The challenge for Essendon this year is to balance win/loss with development. Some good players will miss out which will be ok because the next gen should always be the priority.

The kids will all get there chance next week when it will be 38 degrees with 465% humidity.

Those that are likely to play in the real round one get their first hit-out under the roof.

McGrath will get games (2 or 3) leading into round 1. He's ready to go. Long, another pleasant addition. Anyone on the LTI list to make way for him?

The challenge for Essendon this year is to balance win/loss with development. Some good players will miss out which will be ok because the next gen should always be the priority.

No. No. No

Winning games of footy should always be the priority.

Our players are being managed, next game we will see a few more youngsters get their crack at one game time. Especially over the next two games. They are still managing their loads

McGrath will get games (2 or 3) leading into round 1. He's ready to go. Long, another pleasant addition. Anyone on the LTI list to make way for him?

No. No. No

Winning games of footy should always be the priority.

Agreed. My statement was more about making sure the next gen get games at some point during the year of their form warrants it of course. And then you have McGrath! Like Zach and Darcy before him, he’s destined for seniors (only!)

Very strong midfield, but honestly the KPP, Hurley excepted, would be my first choice. Obviously limited by who’s available, but it’s not a super strong spine

Who are all the new guys?