The Squad. Essendon vs the Filth, 7:40pm Thursday 16th at Etihad

Very strong midfield, but honestly the KPP, Hurley excepted, would be my first choice. Obviously limited by who's available, but it's not a super strong spine

I think this will be very interesting for the mid delivery to the forward line and if Stewart and McKernan/Leuie can’t mark they should be able to be effective in bringing the ball to the ground for Walls, Green and Raz.

Should be a great hit out for the small forwards.

Pretty vanilla squad, Rd 1 won’t change much from that I reckon

Clear strategy being employed. Next match will be the junior brigade. Then probably the last one will resemble this squad with some changes to accommodate loading.

Stewart and Green probably the only litmus tests here. Good to see LAV Long and Smack a chance to grab and hold a spot right from the start. Best of luck to Jackson too.

B: McGrath - Ambrose - Baguley
HB: Gleeson - Hurley - Kelly
C: Zaka - Watson - Parish
HF: Langford - Stewart- Goddard
F: Tippa - McKernan - Fanta
R: Looney - Heppell - Zerrett

INT: Green - Laverde - Colyer - Dea - Howlett - Hocking - Brown - Myers

OUT: Bird - Jerrett - Long

Siren sounds, ball’s held aloft for the opening bounce and there’s Loonie standing next to Jobe, Hepp and Zerrett in the middle. I wasn’t this excited about losing my virginity.

Siren sounds, ball's held aloft for the opening bounce and there's Loonie standing next to Jobe, Hepp and Zerrett in the middle. I wasn't this excited about losing my virginity.

That is one seriously good first rotation midfield.

Surprisingly strong side picked. Usually the only thing I want to see in the preseason games is the draftees but with so many guys having missed a year, its completely understandable to get some footy into them.

Taking every opportunity to get the playing group familiar with each others style of play. Will be very interesting to see how the returning players go.

Guys missing who I feel are completely fit and could have been named...

Ridley
McKenna
McNiece
Mutch
Clarke
Redman
Begley

I reckon the club is using this first up game to showcase our team to its supporters in the hope of growing memberships and getting those supporters still not sure about getting back on board. Hooker, Daniher etc would also have been playing if they could have.
I would expect the club to mix up the teams a bit over the next two games in the country when the focus won’t be as strong.
There will be huge interest in this game on Thursday night for both clubs and supporters of other clubs keen to watch us.
Will be a massive crowd I reckon also.

Does anyone know how many players are allowed in the team-will this squad be trimmed or will they all play?

Trimmed by 26 on game day to give collingwood a chance

EFA

I want to see The Age reprise their dog headline from this time last year after we smash Collingwod by 100+.

This game will either be lid completely blown off, premiership window era… or blitz meltdown, wooden spoon guaranteed.

Could be FIGJAM’s last time coaching against us, he might not make it to Round 5!

Ridley
McKenna
McNiece
Mutch
Clarke
Redman
Begley

I reckon the club is using this first up game to showcase our team to its supporters in the hope of growing memberships and getting those supporters still not sure about getting back on board. Hooker, Daniher etc would also have been playing if they could have.
I would expect the club to mix up the teams a bit over the next two games in the country when the focus won’t be as strong.
There will be huge interest in this game on Thursday night for both clubs and supporters of other clubs keen to watch us.

Don’t think it’s this at all. Wouldn’t be surprised if the team is picked 90 percent by Crow (within reason) purely based on the best conditioning approach to get Wooshas pencilled in 23 or 4 ready for Rd 1.

Who would have thought when LAV tore his hamstring off the bone a couple of weeks ago that he would have played in the first pre-season match.

Pleasing.

Ridley
McKenna
McNiece
Mutch
Clarke
Redman
Begley

Seconds out, round 2.

Ridley
McKenna
McNiece
Mutch
Clarke
Redman
Begley

Don’t think it’s this at all. Wouldn’t be surprised if the team is picked 90 percent by Crow (within reason) purely based on the best conditioning approach to get Wooshas pencilled in 23 or 4 ready for Rd 1.

l would be more than surprised.

Crow will have to fight the Marketing Dept, first, according to some. Me? l still think the selection committee is the go, with a little input from Crow on who is fit and the state of injuries.

Crow clears them to play.

Crow clears them to play.

Right, but he doesn’t select the players. The sentence l highlighted is ambiguous.

Siren sounds, ball's held aloft for the opening bounce and there's Loonie standing next to Jobe, Hepp and Zerrett in the middle. I wasn't this excited about losing my virginity.

I got a bit moist around the penal colony as well.

Ridley
McKenna
McNiece
Mutch
Clarke
Redman
Begley

l would be more than surprised.

Crow will have to fight the Marketing Dept, first, according to some. Me? l still think the selection committee is the go, with a little input from Crow on who is fit and the state of injuries.

Quite probably Jack, the club has a matrix organisational structure, so the team selection has to be signed off by marketing, footy performance, the footy dept and the bootstudder as well, because he probably knows more about whats really going on at the club than most others. :slight_smile: