The Squad vs the Lions

Very sensible appraisal

Insufficient sample size to draw statistically significant conclusions…

It’s probably worth pointing here - lest i be tarred with the brush of a Myers sympathizer - that i reckon he’s a garbage footballer (as far as AFL-level players go), and i’ve had that view since about 2010. I’ve got so far past the point of caring about seeing him in the side that i’d rather make light of the situation - you gotta laugh or else you’d cry kinda logic.

McNernan will kick 6 and look like a world beater this week. Will still.give away 3 dumb frees and I have no idea if we’ll win…

I’d don’t mind the selctions outside Myers/Clarke, but even then Boot makes some good points.

Francis for Brown would make sense, but Brown has been playing well as well and I don’t mind Franga racking up a couple more weeks before coming in and never leaving.

especially the EFC match committee

15 Likes

I wouldn’t have Green in that list. He’s 25, and when fit usually finds himself in the best 22 because he’s great at the ball drop and defensive pressure

1 Like

Once again, a forum that lost its collective ■■■■ over winning culture in the preseason now wants us to tank half a season of football, Carlton style.

There are different schools of thought on how to develop a team, but Wooshas approach is that young players learn best when given clear roles around experienced players.

Let’s use the backline as an example, where this season we’ll have trialed Redman, Ridley, McNeice (plus the still developing McKenna/McGrath) and they will have had the chance to learn from one of the best HBFers of the modern era (Goddard).

Next year we’ll likely have Ridley and Gleeson in those roles having turned over 600+ games of experience in two seasons.

3 Likes

McKenna’s comments here are relevant and I believe (unsurprisingly) are similar to Woosha’s.

1 Like

What racking up a couple more weeks as an emergency where he does play at all.

Pretty happy with 3 of the 4.

Stewart’s been a non-factor for 3-4 weeks. Brown ripping it up in the 2s.
Likewise Lav and Green.
This is exactly how these guys should be used.

Ridley’s had 3 or so weeks and tailed off a little, Redman’s been ripping it up. No issues there either.

I have absolutely no issue with kids getting 3-4 game blocks. It’s the 1-and-out that I think gives little chance for settling into a role.

Myers. Ugh. ■■■■ sandwich there.

7 Likes

His marking has been pretty pour and his goal kicking has been woeful. I think a week or two in reserves will do him good.

1 Like

That’s fair enough. But I wonder what percentage of members would be willing to fork out $1500+ for a GF ticket that we’re not even close to participating in?

Whilst I agree with everything you have said the one comment I’ll make to bring some levity into a ■■■■ situation is that Green despite having the head of a 35 year old is actually only 25 somehow. I’m baffled as well.

2 Likes

Who would you play instead of McKernan while Daniher is out?

1 Like

Maybe they are playing it cautious with him this time? Does he have anything in his history that would influence the club to take things a little slower? Injuries, fitness, mental health issues?

2 Likes

We’ve dropped a forward and he’s been played back all year. Non issue.

those ‘ins’ are horrible. This club is losing me more and more each week.

So even discounting 2016, he’s missed just as many games as he’s played during his career?

There would’ve been some sleepless nights in Brisbane as Fagan an co sweat on what to do about our McNernan and Bags led forward line. And then we just added Brown into the equation!

7 Likes

5 Likes

Honestly our forwardline shows we are learning more about how modern forward structures work- it’s a small/medium fwds game.

Remember last week when Riewoldt killed us? And Patton the week before? How about when Hawkins took us to the cleaners?

I bet Fagan IS worried about Green seagulling cheapies and the fact we have a fwd line capable of providing defensive pressure.

2 Likes