The Team - GWS v Us - DC out for "The Pidge" (Blame Marvel)

Essendon isn’t desperate this week.

We were last week.

We should’ve been every week for a month before last week.

2 Likes

we should be every week… but we all too rarely are.

GWS are probably the highest paid group of 40 men under 25 in Australia. With that comes a degree of contentment and a different set of priorities to battlers like the Dogs or Richmond.
A degree of success comes from natural talent, ultimate success will be earned by their ability to play as a team.
Up to date their priorities are no doubt:

• Getting their man buns to look just right before the game.
  • Looking in the mirror to ensure they look suitably buff.
  • Ensuring the game day designer stubble is even in length and an on trend color.
  • Working out which venue to go to after the game to get girls “who realise who they are”.
  • Trying to understand why there is silence in stadiums when they kick goals.
  • Trying to understand what motivates those guys behind the goals to wear orange sheets on game day
  • Coming to terms with the fact that they come from a ■■■■ part of Sydney.

They are depleted. Can they play as a team ? If not, we win.

5 Likes

Contingent on us bringing the same level of intent we did last week. Cause if we don’t we lose to anyone, let alone a team as chock full of talent as the Giants. FFS we lost to Fark Carlton.

Yes I realise that there is a team called Essington who masquerade as Essendon, in some kind of weird inverse “fine cotton” scenario. I just like to stick it up GWS in dot point form.

3 Likes

What Leon Cameron has done (or perhaps been unable to do) to that list of talent is a travesty. The greatest list of talent this game has ever seen assembled (outside rep footy) and he hasn’t been able to instil the slightest hint of team ethic in all but 3 of them. Just goes to show that talent will only get you so far!

We won’t win. What recent history suggests we will? Freo game all over again

How many last week?

I’ve been frustrated watching his last 10 games but I remember his games early in when he played really well and was a very straight kick for goal.

Definitely worth persisting with him for a few consecutive games, and maybe taking the pressure off him might allow things to click.

While it sucks to see Clarke dropped after only 1 crack at it, McGrath is an auto in when fit and makes us a better side.

I want to believe we turned the corner

The players had more freedom with their play ball movement wise (Neeld gone) and also all seemingly finally all bought into the defensive side of game - pressure was off charts.

And we then pumped a team with best midfield in comp.

That winning feeling and some rebuilt confidence does wonders for a club and team. Surely the players all understand now that is the standard and if they do the same we will win more games than lose.

We didn’t bring in slow players or underdone players. The team is settled and we’ve replaced Clarke with McGrath which is an improvement.

Time to notch a win away

4 Likes

Sadly this is part of the problem. We think the kid needs to be in the best handful on the ground to justify his place. Realistically, he shouldn’t need to do any more than he did last week against Geelong to retain his place, he was very good.

2 Likes

I watched the game and the replay. He was a victim of the negative role he was asked to play imo. He seemed to be spectating on the outside of packs, rather than playing the ball. I reckon his role was to bump, block and tackle any Geelong player that got the ball in congestion. He often found space when we were in possession, but other targets were preferred.

Time will tell, if and when he gets another run in the AFL.

I don’t think he needs to be that good.

But i don’t trust the coaches to keep him in unless he is

2 Likes

Everyone has to perform now, selection pressure is high in midfield.

Langford is in for now, so is Guelfi

Parish, Mutch, Clarke & Myers will be pressing their cases. Colyer also due back soon. If Green comes back and Bags stays in and Raz pushed more upfield that’s another.

Langford however is in the position that’s most vulnerable because of where he is in pecking order of the rest of our main midfield group. That’s just the reality of it. He cannot afford to coast.

The Lang was good last week though and he was only behind Smith and TIPPA for pressure which was very fkn impressive.

2 Likes

Yeah that’s what I was eluding to. And we’re conditioned as such.

1 Like

Would like them to put McGrath head to head with Kelly

5 Likes

I notice Langford and Lav both absolutely fuming at players who ignored them when they had found space out the back.
Justified actually, they were bereft as they watched opportunity to prolong their careers go up in smoke.

Funnily enough the most selfless play was from Stringer over the top, but I guess he feels a lot safer in the team.
Ironically such unselfish play gains more kudos than taking the shot.

You don’t reckon Raz felt safe in the team when he absolutely torched Lav?

1 Like

The LAV one was justified, poor by Raz. Blinkers on.

Lang wanting the ball 15m out on tight angle not so much when we had Raz 35 out pretty much dead in front.

A year ago Essendon played the Giants in Sydney and went down by 16 points with 26 shots at goal to 27.

Essendon’s style of play matched up well against them. Fingers crossed the coaches retain last weeks game plan as opposed to the static crap served up before then ‘cause if they do their chances of winning are improved.

4 Likes