The TEAM vs the Tarps

Hes not being managed. He had four weeks and was ■■■■■ and needs to earn his way back.

Last week was the first vfl game he racked up 28. The week before he had 12 possies in the VFL mind you.

He needs to have another game in mid to high twenties in the VFL to be putting his hand up.

1 Like

Don’t think we were “ready” when Hird took over, we had a good list but still a second rate midfield which never put consistent performances together. We’d start years strong but then fall to ■■■■ once the halfway point of the season rolled around

3 Likes

Darli your talking almost 20 years ago.

We were pretty damn good in 2013 until the afl told the club they would not play finals.

4 Likes

LOL

2 Likes

We had a good team for that incarnation of the game in 2013.

A lot depended on big bullocking midfielders and we had that in spades back then. Probably could’ve been a contender if the fwd line was better.

We were ok, but a fair way off from contending, possibly could’ve won a final and that would’ve been great but think we would’nt have done much more. Just my opinion

2 Likes

Well it is all history now. In my opinion we would have finished top four because lets be clear the team fell off a cliff when they were told about the finals ban. Anything could have happened particularly with the emotion they played with that year.

2 Likes

I think Myers and Langford are our two most important players to get in from at the back end of the season. The contested part of the midfield group being Watson, Goddard, Heppel and Merret will win games against poor sides and games against top sides who are having a down game. But they wont win a final, its too few players. Add an in form Myers and Langford into the mix is our only shot at it. Myers is to good for VFL and is being given time in the seniors to find from. Langford needs intensity and is being held back in the VFL until he has it. The treatment of the two players might seem inconsistant but its also probably the right approach at the moment. Now to see wether it works or not.

4 Likes

do i look suspended ?

8 Likes

Is this Langford being referred to?
Counting back through his last 5 VFL games…

21 disp 2 goals
32 disp 2 goals
34 disp 2 goals
20 disp 14 tackles
22 disp 11 tackles

According to the Footy Live app anyway…
If I was his manager I’d be telling the club to get ■■■■■■. There’s making someone earn it, then there’s ■■■■■■ mindedness.

7 Likes

I think you should know in what context the youth that most people are talking about.

granted those players haven’t played many games, they are going to be starting 22 players ( minus stewart and maybe mckenna) no matter what this year and prolly next, barring injury.

on exposed form as it stands, kelly, stanton hocking and howlett would more than likely struggle to stay on the list next season, or struggle to get a game.
Therefore surely it’d be more beneficial to be trying as many youngsters in as many positions as possible, because surely it’d be better to find out what exactly you need to improve on via trade and draft this year, instead of waiting til next year ?

That being said, I still think they should be picking like for like, and while langford may be playing well, it would seem pointless to be playing him in the vfl as amidfielder, then bringing him in to play his usual HFF role where he hasn’t set the world onfire.

That also being said, if howlett is the best option we have to play forward with small stints in the midfield, then we haven’t got as great a depth as some want to say we have.

anyway, I don’t know if langford could play midfield more in the afl, surely it’d be better to find out sooner rather than later right ?

Sure but I don’t think playing Myers and howlett gives us our best chance

1 Like

The “context” being 3 of those kids are pushing towards their mid 20s.

it seems the best route to get games as an inexperienced player at Essendon is by getting turfed out by another club first.

This is the sad part. Please stop reminding me.

Depends how strong the ropes are I guess

2 Likes

Plus we’re getting games into Myers too, who is due for a breakout game.

12 Likes

Those last 5 games for Langford are awesome.

cant recall a player his age on the senior list was so prominent.

BOUT FARKN TIME

Think we are both wrong. You are missing the Richmond game. Which was the week prior to last. No goals. 17 possies. VFL stats seem to count effective and ineffective. 12 effective and 5 ineffective. So went missing in a loss against a decent standard VFL side.

He was poor in his first 4 afl games and was well down on his 2016 modest stats.

But good last week and will get another 4 game AFL run if he backs that up this week i reckon.