The team. Which, by the way, where issss? Round 6 vs Pies is here

He wasn’t that bad.

He just happened to be the worst of all the mids, with Smith and Zaha coming back.

7 Likes

Fine. For a pressure forward who has played every game this year, I think Baguley’s tackle numbers inside 50 are bad stats.

1 Like

Only if his man is getting the ball.

He may be clearing the space for others.

And as far as possessions go, would you rather he contest for the same kicks inside 50 as Walla, stringer and Raz?

I’m happy with our forwardline so far.

I don’t think Lav, Parish or Guelfi would add to it in its current mix as I’ve never seen them play it in vfl or afl.

I would argue they would be better in for our HFs

Fair enough. I still want more outta Bags but I agree that our forward line has looked great the past few weeks overall.

Again, they’re not great, but they’re not completely bad either.

Only 90 guys in the league (so avg 5 a side) are going at more than that 0.8 a game.

ITS TIME

7 Likes

BOMBERS BY 5 GOALS

I’ve picked the last 2 weeks within 2 points.

19 Likes

Predictable changes & predictable sooking in here

I don’t understand some with the - ‘Baguley, Myers & even Zaharakis (FFS!) are not the future so why are the playing’

We aren’t in development mode. We are trying to win the flag this year. As such each and every week it’s about playing the side they feel gives us the best chance of winning the game.

You may disagree with various players but the whole “game lost at selection” crowd who piped up over last 3 weeks disregarding the fact we have won and won very well in the last 2.

Strong teams are going to have quality players miss out. It’s a long season, they will be needed.

And others in the team may play important roles that don’t always appear on champion data stats.

Baguley seems to be copping the most grief but firstly he has nobody in 2’s demanding his spot (yet) and secondly he must be doing something right that the selection panel values. Perhaps his forward movement is allowing the likes of TIPPA and Raz to have more space for example.

Paranoia about players leaving also premature. We’ve had 5 players (including some stars) select us to come to over other clubs of recent times. The vision being sold to the group about where we headed is obviously solid. And where players fit in the side for the future in that vision would be there.

Players should really have to earn their spot over just be given games (including positionally ridiculous!) for fear of them leaving.

Moving along …

Farking pumped for the game. It’s as close to a best 22 as many had at the start of the year.

Let’s knock these Pies off for once on Anzac Day

27 Likes

Thanks.
If the forward line is dysfunctional then looking at the person with the least stats may tell you something.
If the forward line is working very well, then who had the least stats tells you bugger all.
It is a team game, and the forward set up has to be taken as a whole.

To focus on Bags;
Are there more talented footballers on our list not selected? Absolutely.
Are any of these players able to perform the same role as part of the current forward set up?
Doubtful.
Bags actually plays as a smart small forward- enough dummy runs to open up space for others, whilst still able to be a dangerous option if he’s ignored by his opponent.
Enough tackles & bash and crash in packs to allow better players to wait outside for the spillage or error.
Quick enough in bursts, and desperate enough that his direct opponent doesn’t have free rein to cut us up on the rebound outlet

Guelfi has the second but at this stage not the smarts for the first part, at this stage - better as a defensive midfielder.
Laverde definitely hasn’t the first - his movement often clogs the other forwards- he’s a Stringer replacement, not Bags.
Begley- still regaining fitness
Mozzie- still developing fitness
Houlahan - who knows

So there’s a team structural reason why Bags is still picked. Until someone can replace his combination roles.

4 Likes

Well said. It’s like fans have been watching this team get built for so long that they don’t realise it’s finally done. The best way to hang on to young talent is by winning. Not gifting kids games over experienced players. The club thinks that Myers & Baguley give us more of a chance to win this game, and i agree. The same people were calling for Brown & Ambrose to be dropped a couple of weeks ago but they’re quiet on that now. Parish is just unlucky that Guelfi played better than him last week.

6 Likes

Your thought is reflected in the Dodoro thread.

3 Likes

Well Smith could do it. But I am pleased they are keeping him in the midfield.

We aren’t due til 2021 you lot!

Super excited just to see where we are at. Best side available, perfect conditions with a gf like crowd against a contender, no excuses today.

2 Likes

This is the best looking Essendon team since Tayte Pears.

7 Likes

yes and yes to @Lance84 and @Speedy_Gonzales

1 Like

giphy

4 Likes

Read Woosh’s comments about Parish. Felt like Justin Langer’s comments on world cup selection.

JL said he felt sorry for Handscomb because he missed out with a return of the legend Smith. Lol. No JL, you wanted your mate Marsh in the squad. You left out Handscomb so you can have him.

On batting form Handscomb should have been selected ahead of Marsh. On fielding he is better and when you have no back up keeper in the squad too, the decision is no brainer. But they think public are stupid.

Guelfi came in for Smith. Parish was already in the team. Ham came in for Zaharakis. Our 7 defenders are set. So no…Parish didn’t miss out for Zaharakis and Smith. He missed out for Guelfi. Baguley is not contributing much, so it was not a brainer that he comes out and Guelfi plays that role.

6 Likes

Great post Speedy.

But that’s not Guelfi’s role. The whole team is set. They replaced 2 midfielders with 2 midfielders. Seems about right.

2 Likes