The Tennis thread

And chucked wobbly and pulled out when his sister didn’t get a WC when she was miles off the pace.
Nah, the guy’s a turd.

1 Like

This Paire dude looks like Hal Hunter

Great performances by the Aussies as usual. 90% of them out in the first round

1 Like

Paire is usually good for a few busted rackets per match

Need to return to grass courts!

Pretty sure we didn’t have 100 players in this event.
So I think 6 men and 4 women getting through to the second round is actually a pretty good result.

3 Likes

Tomic and Kyrgios also had the toughest first round matches.

Raonic serve was unbreakable.
But you could see nick lose a couple of points and give up on the service games.
It was going to be won on tiebreakers,and raonic was slightly better.

Raonic did look fat, I was annoyed nick couldn’t work him around the court a bit more, other than a few drop shots.

Nick probably needed a few wins under his belt and confidence to give himself a better shot against raonic.

The bird that ousted Stosur was hot, only 18 and could play.
I only watched second set, but Stosur looked way off pace.

Kokkinakas injury is dissapointing especially retiring after winning the first set.

1 Like

Yes I do, and I get maybe they could have given one to Kokk, however I can also understand why they didn’t give it to him. As it turns out he could barely play anyway.

Outstanding.

2 Likes

These got through: De Minaur, Barty, Millman, Edben, Popyrin, Bolt, Birrell, Polmans, Thompson, Sharma

Reckon that’s not bad. Actually more than I thought to the 2nd round.
I suspect we might end up with only 3 through to the 3rd round though.

1 Like

Watched De minaur for the first time in the syd final… gee, fair set of kohunas on the guy. There’s nothing of him (lean, likely to be less injury prone than a bigger unit like Kyrgios). But more importantly, mentally the bloke is a unit. Lots of Lleyton about him - looks like he’ll have a career

2 Likes

Barry is throttling ■■■■…dishing out a beating!

Barry smacked ■■■■!!

Barty also did well

3 Likes

Thompson is gone defeated by Seppi
Nadal should account for Ebden

Hoping Millman, De Minaur get through

Barty is already through

Sharma down 1 set.

1 Like

Is he?

Let’s look at the facts shall we:

“It’s funny all these players who got wildcards under our system, I think it’s guys like (Alex) Bolt … They’re all under his wing so he gets a percentage of that,” Tomic said.

Bolt, Popyrin, Kubler and Polmans were all given WC.

None of them are represented by Hewitt’s W Sports and Media management company.

So that is blatantly wrong.

Also Popyrin and Bolt won through to the second round, seems reasonable then that they were given WC.

1 Like

Not sure if it’s camera angles but the game seems slower , or less intense ,somehow this year.

Absolutely Tomic’s sister didnt deserve a WC. And it was Tomic’s Dad who did a wobbly when TA didnt offer the required level of financial support when the Tomic family could have supported the daughter.

And Kokkinakis is spitting chips because he wasnt offered a WC for the Aussie Open.

Being at the tennis today i agree with your sentiments. Watching men and women’s games they are hitting flatter groundstrokes, lots more slice and less top spin. And there were temperate conditions which encouraged faster play.

Feel like my day has been spent in latin or South America with the amount of Spanish and Italian spoken. The wife managed to snare a match ball at the end of a doubles game.

3 Likes

I am concerned about the allocation of wildcards to Aussie players in the last two years. Well performed players who have served the country well and have fallen on hard times should be allocated one wildcard.

My reference to Trump in relation to Hewitt is that ownership can be easily hidden. The management company is a minor concern as these conflicts happen all the time.

Davis Cup is a non issue as there isnt really a Davis Cup that is a 12 month event. Do we even need a Davis Cup Captain.

Finally, you are too trusting of what you read in the media. Nearly all the commentators are affiliated with TA, so they are unlikely to criticise their boss.