The Tennis thread

You never fail to come in with crazy conspiricies where none exist, are you part of the Tomic family?

The guy threw shade AFTER he lost at the Aus Open, nice deflection.

The Kokk’s shoulder gave in, blame the work load, despite the fact he wouldn’t have lasted the tournament if his shoulder gave out that easily. And where did the injury come from that caused all this?

The guys who received WC’s, do you think they didn’t deserve them, because that is what Tomic is saying? From what I have seen they did.

Tennis us unwatchable in sd.\

■■■■ off the news to go.

1 Like

Im not going early here, but birrell is the next big thing in australian tennis.

I dont know about Birrell being the next big thing. Yes she won but it was the poorest match i watched today. The standard was so poor that i left after one set.

I form my own opinions. What Tomic says is irrelevant to my arguments. Of course Kokkinakis should have received a wildcard before these other players. And i posted last year that Tomic should have received a WC in 2018. I am not a ’ ‘Johnny Come Lately’ who enters a discussion once a year. Finally your argument that Kokkinakis having an injury concern is a hindsight argument which lacks rigour. FYI 3 or 4 players withdrew during first round matches. Use your argumemt and they shouldn’t have been accepted into the draw

Kokkinakis should have received a WC. He’s young, talented and has had a horrible injury history. I would have thought that was the very criteria for WC.

There is absolutely no doubt we have some young players with terrible attitudes but I would have thought that TA would some sort of help with that.

If they do have a program then maybe it needs to be reviewed. And if they don’t maybe they need one.

Troubled young tennis players predates this current generation so somethings going wrong somewhere.

1 Like

Kokk is a big talent and a good lad, he has no attitude problems and nothing wrong with him apart from the company he keeps. Could have been closing in on a top 50 spot if not for a horrendous two years with injury.

But if you want a great attitude mixed in with unbelievable hard work and good shot making, De Minaur is your pick. He’s already a beauty.

2 Likes

Wild cards are discretionary. No one is entitled to one. They can give them to who they like, if they don’t like it, then qualify for the tournament without needing one. The only people hard done by are the players who don’t get a spot despite being ranked in the top 128 or so.

1 Like

and this is a problem how

MILL

JOHNNY MILL

1 Like

Saves 4 match points and takes the set!

2 Likes

But he loses in the 5th.

Laaksonsen well in control of De Minaur in sets 3 & 4.
Laaksonsen will beat him if De Minaur can’t lift in the 5th.

All our aussies suck

Lies, damned lies…

Tomic blasted Hewitt for not supporting Kyrgios or Kokkinakis and Kyrgios’s Instagram post sided with that argument.

“Who’s (sic) match is he watching. Demon, no one else,” Kyrgios wrote as Hewitt watched the teenager’s clash from the stands while providing special comments for Channel 9.

Except Hewitt was sitting courtside for Kyrgios’s match and supporting him. Who needs the truth when you can just lie to make a point?

1 Like

De Minaur lifted, and Laaksonen gave him a couple of points at key times. Good result.

2 Likes

Millman fighted well to take it to 5 sets.
De Minaur plays like Hewitt, and also let the other bloke in like old HEwitt to create a thriller in the 5th set.
He managed to scrape through, but he will be tired for Nadal.
But Nadal is a free shot, given no one will expect the aussie to win.
De Minaur is fast and can generate some racquet speed off slower balls. His hope against Nadal will be to keep getting the return in and force Nadal to go for winners and make errors.
I only watched the first couple of sets, went to bed when he started losing in the third, didnt want to jinx him glad he made it through.

And that other aussie girl got through as well Birrell, but she has another tough match to come, but like De Minaur has nothing to lose and she was a wild card entry through to the third round and has some confidence behind her now…

Barry Day was right 3 through to the 3rd round. Millman was close. Birrell was a nice surprise.

I would only be tipping barty to make it to the fourth round from here.

1 Like

I wouldn’t be surprised if De Minaur beats Nadal.

Nadal doesn’t look 100% and if De Minaur digs in then he is not without hope.

Wouldn’t want to give Nadal a sniff at critical times like he did last night

1 Like