The Tennis thread

I think its quite logical to think that the two are connected.

Men watch mens sport and more than likely want to read about it.

99.9% of comments on this site are related to mens sports.

There is alot of people I know when I attend Netball, Beach Volleyball, Cycling, Swimming, Surfing and Horse Riding. With Netball and Volleyball the stadiums aren’t big enough. Horse Riding is huge and very popular in each field.

1 Like

Do you know 25 million people?

Not personally but I do know there are other people watching horse racing in every pub and tab. Horse racing as with most horse riding events is non gender specific. It may well be the most commentated sport we have on the planet. You didn’t specify people attending an event… though.

Fck your serve raonic.

CMON STAN

1 Like

Fair enough.

I just thought that media would be reporting on whats popular.

Worldwide I just assumed that mens sport would be more popular due to men traditionally being more interested in it.

I could be wrong though.

So women don’t watch tennis?

And men don’t watch women’s tennis? Given the number of people willing to pass comment on Stosur, or on someone or another’s grunting you might think that when it comes to tennis plenty of people are watching the women’s game.

To go back I think your initial assumption that the majority of (tennis) viewers are male was flawed. You’ve then tried to “prove” that claim by suggesting that more people watch mens sport in general, which is not the same thing. And now you’re suggesting 99% of comments on blitz are about men’s sport, so QED. Some strange application of logic there.

Well you explain to me how mens tennis having issues effects viewing for the womens game, or media coverage.

I don’t see why it has to be about gender at all which is what Stosur reduced it too.

Well when i was up at 4am watching Fox new on channel 83 FTA
I watched them talk about barty win, then Birrell win and then Some NRL guy doing the wrong thing in preseason then after the ads finally told me that De Minaur won and Millman lost in a close match.
Birell probably got the longest segment.

1 Like

Yeah, I just disagree with Ice Temples assumption that people just read articles that the media put out there.

I have more faith in peoples ability to make choices for themselves.

For me I just prefer to watch Kygrios over Stosur.

1 Like

It’s about the d*ckhead men sucking up far more of the coverage than they deserve. Kyrgios and Tomic have had plenty of potential, but they haven’t done much.

That’s not about affecting viewing of the women’s game, but it does have an effect on Barty getting the credit she deserves with the Aus public (outside of tennis followers).

1 Like

What can I say, people want to talk about them.

It’s a hot topic.

Nothing stopping people from discussing the womens game.

These arguments are so facile.

It’s like when people say “Why does she have to be the best female tennis player in the world, why can’t she just be the best tennis player in the world?” Because she wouldn’t be able to beat the best male tennis players in the world. But she is still the best female tennis payer in the world, which is great.

Maybe the men’s product is better and more appealing to a wider audience. The media knows people like reading about what they’re interested in, and therefore give them what they want. It’s all this farking nitpicking and trying to find something that just isn’t there.

It’s not sexism. You’re not being oppressed Sam. You and all of your fellow female tennis players are playing for the same amount of prize money as the men. Not forgetting that you don’t have to play as many games as the men and you don’t have the same consistent viewership.

For the love of god just be happy.

3 Likes

You reckon the system isn’t sexist?

What do you reckon the media would do with 2 women who carried on like Kyrgios and Tomic, and whose best Grand Slam results after 5+ years as pros was a QF.

1 Like

Would be similar to Dokic, played well early as a junior put on pedestal then rift father and AA, Never really reached her potential…or maybe she did.

its gonna be hard to reach any sort of potential with that nucase around you.

Obviously because there is a desire for it from the public. Why do people give a ■■■■ about the Kardashians and want to read about their farking awful lives? People like what they like.

Serena Williams was everywhere after her disgusting performance at the US Open last year. People like watching trainwrecks, they always have, It’s irrelevant to gender.

2 Likes

Anna Kournikova?
Did nothing in Grand Slams. Highest was 8th couldn’t beat anyone above her.
Was 1 of the highest paid players on circuit.
Previous Sabatini and Capriati?
Played well in their early years. Both left the sport. Sabitini married the Prince of Argentina. Capriati got into drugs. Won the Aus open on comeback, did nothing after that.

Serena’s won how many Grand Slams.

The media would have spat out any woman that behaved like these 2 and hasn’t performed.

How are any of them comparable?

The false equivalency is completely the point.