The worst training report ever. 10/01/2018 Now with added afternoon report

We need that as well

Draper developing as the genuine ruck and Lav2.0 as the forward/ruck ideal.

Both would still miles off it but by time they 24 we should have some really good players.

Okay, spent some time at the club this morning in the Bomber Shop. Asked one of the ladies who worked for the club what time training was on and was told 1100 so thought qtr past 10 now, will hang around and watch. Started chatting to the bloke from the cafe about visiting overseas countries and at about qtr past 11the lovely lady comes up and says that the boys aren’t training until 3pm and she feels bad about misleading me and would I like a tour. Do rats desert sinking ships? Got taken into the Hangar and watched the boys training, doing some ball handling skill type sessions. Got a photo with Kyle Langford. Overheard Heppell talking about Trav Colyers moonboot and sure he said it is on for another week but didn’t seem in the least concerned by it. Not often I feel short but Leunberger succeeded. Belly was lineball in height with me (a touch taller). Got to say hello to Hooker and told him why I had a particular interest in him. He remembered his old weights coach at East Freo with a bit of a smile and added that he was the one that really got him started seriously. Awesome setup and made my day.

Went back this afternoon and watched the drills. This is the second worst training report ever.

Started with some agility type drills, utilising two rows of cones place a little distance apart in parralel on the ground and alternating between left and right leg to mimic change of direction in a game. Some of the boys (looking at you Hepps) played it up and exaggerated the movements quite a lot.

The next drill was centred around passing to the leading player, with the receiver running out and executing a bit of a hook turn to receive the ball. The players were divided into backs centres and mids but also into green and red tops.

At various times, Orazio and Dyson were both singled out in front of goal with a single trainer. Orazio was leading and taking marks/possession then turning to take the shot on goal, while Dyson was being delivered a ground ball which he picked up and returned multiple times prior to then having a shot on goal.

Hooker, Brown, Mynott and one other were on Etihad for a while, but I believe they all joined in with the others later. The only non starters I can remember noticing were Trav with his moon boot and no Francis.

The next lot of exercises centred around contested hand balls within a confined area with opposing teams. The object was to score a goal by hand passing between two poles set up as goals. Tackling, probably without too much intent, was permitted and encouraged. I must say that Mutch and Clarke stood out for me, as did Parish. While this was happening the talls were in a group doing some hit out practice. During all this, Connor walked passed and appeared to throw up walking towards the Etihad oval, and then we heard later that he had thrown up again near The Hangar, so either a bit of a bug, or had really pushed himself in his first training run of the year.

After all this, the players moved into a simulated match play scenario, where they would throw the ball up and then go through with the play until one team or the other got clear possession. As soon as that happened, play stopped and was relocated to another part of the ground where they would go through the same process, be it a field ball up or a boundary throw in. One particular piece of play by The Package had smiles all round as he roved the tap, burst clear and drilled a goal from the boundary.

The final drill of the day was contested marking. Near us we had Joe, Hartley, Paddy, McGrath, Green, Mutch and Smith. While this was happening there was contested body work going on in other areas.

Lastly, when most of the players had retired indoors, Smith, Zaka, Langford, Zack and and Dyson were all having running shots at goal. They would run to receive the ball, gather, balance and shoot, left or right foot. Another group was doing similar down the other end but didn’t see who they were.

The standouts on the day for me were Begley, Mutch, Clarke, Langford and Smith. A couple of other guys that were there with me agreed that Smith won the day, and the only way he won’t be best 22 at the start of the season is if he is injured.

59 Likes

In the case of the squat, it is all about core strength. Tat ability to maintain balance with a large weight overhead while dropping down is quite difficult. With a F-i-L who is an Olympic weightlifting coach, I have done some snatches up to 80kg, and being able to stand up with the bar over your head like that is quite difficult if you don’t have core body strength.

1 Like

I watched Draper today at training competing against big Belly, and Tom monstered him. That is the difference I suppose though in 6 or 7 years of age, about 10kg of extra muscle and multiple pre seasons. He is going to be exciting, he just has to be given time.

6 Likes

As an addendum to the training report, I was paying particular attention to Hartley in one on one drills. I love the kid, he tries like buggery, but I have to say, he has to stop giving up front position all the time, and start playing to the flight of the ball. Multiple times today, if I was an umpire, I would have pinged him for holding or other violations. His mindset is just too defensive. He reads the ball well, and he can punch just as effectively from the front as the back, but far less likely to infringe if he is in front.

23 Likes

Really insightful report thanks LB.

Smith Looks a very determined player to me and I think he’s going to have a massive impact.

He, Merrett and McGrath all enjoy tackling so even if they don’t win first touch they are at least going to make it difficult for the opposition to get a clean getaway.

Glad to hear Clarke is showing his worth. I thought he had a excellent first season playing in an unfamiliar role and I think he will make a big step up this season.

Thanks again for taking the time LB.

1 Like

Well done LB, top work by you. :ok_hand:t3:

1 Like

Great report! Thanks

1 Like

Great report, thanks Lifetime

I suspect Conner is still pi$$ed from his trip home

1 Like

Thank you! Love reading any training reports! Can’t wait for season to start!!!

Like you, I love reading the reports as I live in Perth. Unfortunately work has dictated that I must now work in Sydney, so while visiting some family here in Melbourne I thought I would make the most of the opportunity and get me to the club for some first hand training watching. When I saw how few made training and that no report had been done, I thought I should put finger to keyboard and submit one. Not a patch on the regulars I know, but at least it is something for all those that can’t make it to have a read of. This season is shaping as a defining one for the club.

12 Likes

I actually prefer training reports from lots of different people. We all have differing opinions, insights and favourite players thus we end up with a very balanced view of how things are tracking.

15 Likes

Your report was great LB, having other perspectives is great, we all see different parts of the training. I always try to go to other parts of the ground and catch certain activities close up. Today I saw some good stuff from up on the rockery.

2 Likes

Was Lavender there?

Pretty sure he was off somewhere getting his mo trimmed

2 Likes

This was very obvious to me last year too and I’d be pretty ■■■■■■ if he wasn’t being coached on exactly this issue.

1 Like

Thanks for the report @Lifetime_ban and sounds like you had a very enjoyable time while there.

He was, I actually think it may have been him on Etihad with Hooker and co. It was hard to track players at times as they were changing jumpers and not always into their own number or so it seemed. I will go again on Friday and hopefully see more of him.

1 Like

Ahh, reminiscing about my alter boy days.

Always found that tune annoyingly catchy.

1 Like

Get over it Mills.

1 Like