The Wrestling Thread

Speaking of botch, the Beverly Brothers did one in the early 90s that I actually wonder if the jobber is alive and functioning today.

1 Like

This one?

1 Like

Flair from 2002 was overall very average. TNA flair was just sad

Yep, amazing they kept replaying it in slo-mo, must have been no injuries.

Meanwhile, in freakin’ Ferntree Gully… bros v bros.

The first leapfrog by Fenix was insane. Was two feet clear over the barely ducking Filip; guy is a freak even when doing boring standard moves.

Robbie Eagles and Joey Janela curtain-jerked and while Joey can do good stuff he is, no exaggeration, the best/worst guy I’ve ever seen at telegraphing what the next move he’s taking is. Gets there early and waits, so many times…

(No, Robbie wasn’t slow to arrive. Der.)

Didn’t focus on Cheerleader Melissa enough :frowning:

I’ll update that by saying he was fine versus Slex the second night. Not good enough to beat Slex, but fine.

Indi Hartwell was IMPRESSIVE enough to win the women’s title from Jordynne Grace after a sloppy slam by Grace looked lucky not to cause severe damage. That and entertainingly beating up Joey Ryan was a good double night for her.

Lucha Bros vs the Filip Bros vs Flipping Machines (Flip Gordon and Brian Cage) was fantastic continuous action.

In the main event The Villain Marty Scurll took the main title from Robbie Eagles. I’m guessing he may have lost it to Pentagon tonight in Sydney.

Other particular credit to Jeff Cobb for his two entertaining matches.

Working the new gimmick. Gold, especially King Maxel and Lord Wolfgang interrupting one of the promos.

Just let King Maxel win the 24/7 title already. Kid is over, hit his promo line perfectly here.

Do yourself a favour and track down Ospreay-Eagles from Festival Hall tonight. By far the best match of the NJPW show, and the crowd was off their head for it. And, no spoilers, it has storyline significance.

They had a chunk of the northern end tarped off, but unlike last time all the expensive seats were full. I hope the rumour of them being back in October with Liger is true.

A solid but not brilliant show otherwise, and that’s despite Nick Bury and Slex being huge over in their early matches.

Bury had a busy 24 hours, having also wrestled normal teammate Mitch Waterman as part of a Battle Championship Wrestling tournament last night. Ten minute draw, neither quite willing to kill the other.

The first half of that night (8 short first round matches) was unremarkable, apart from Bee Boy living the gimmick and getting love for it.

Second half was a huge step up: Taya Valkrye vs Mortar was a slobberknocker till Vixsen intervened to make sure neither belt (Impact or BCW) traded hands. I’ve touched two Impact belts in the past week - Cage had the other one last week.

Ken Shamrock (yes, that one) and Carlo Cannon defended their tag titles in a fun match. Carlo might have gotten a bit fat but he’s still “Cash Money” when putting on a show. Shamrock had limited action but was all good and still looks fantastic. And Severn (yes, that one) is coming to BCW in August to resume their feud.

Johnny “Battle” and Nick Moretti was the reason I attended this show, and the two plus Cletus put on a great triple threat match.

Moretti was annoyed he didn’t win, so inserted himself (officially) into the following main event (vs Big Cuz and Maddog). It was a hardcore match (well, der: Maddog) and a quality conclusion.

Moretti is freaking gold, if you’re not aware of him. Look him up.

Almost spoiler-free summary of Fyter Fest below:

This was a freely streamed show, but a big crowd and a valuable opportunity for AEW to blow out the cobwebs before their next big show in two weeks.

The pre-show still had a few moments that would be incomprehensibly silly for newcomers in it, but nowhere near as much as at Double or Nothing . Three matches, a hot crowd, and most notable for making the debuting tag team Private Party look like incredible stars.

A solid start to the main show from veterans Christopher Daniels and CIMA.

A very very nice “two tiny Japanese girls and a Godzilla” triple threat follows. Thirteen minutes, and the crowd (correctly) loved it. They’re building from scratch here AND hitting home runs immediately.

There have been two spots so far that the director has failed to capture [and later there’s a cut to a camera in messy motion]. The production is overall much improved though.

MJF comes out to abuse the crowd. I’m down with that. He is sooooooo much money.

His opponents are Jungle Boy and Jimmy Havoc and Hangman Page. That’s a mix of styles…

Lots of pyro on this show.

Jungle Boy does a top rope flip to opponents on the ground of a style I’ve never seen. The combo of him and Luchasaurus is hilarious.

Fast paced match that made everyone look good (Havoc the least, because he needs more breathing space to show his viciousness, and this was non-stop).

Cody vs Darby Allin: I knew the latter’s name but nothing about him till he happened to feature in one of the two wrestling shows on SBS currently.

Cody initially looking to play methodical against the smaller Allin, but after being shown up a few times he gets nastier. Still, this is the first older-school match on this show — and that’s no insult, he stole the show last time doing that.

Please don’t die, Allin. That’s not a good move for anyone’s back. Holy ■■■■.

Twenty minute time limit coming up… and Cody fails to finish him in time.

The post-match bit was very well done… but unprotected head shots are NOT cool. NOT COOL. Love the female ref’s work, here and otherwise.

A contrary bit of character work with MJF the first and primary one out to help the fallen Cody.

Next up, as the crowd recovers from the shock of that brutality: Laredo Kid and those guys from Ferntree Gully vs The Bucks and Omega. There’s your match-to-match contrast, which is something AEW are getting right so far. Show plus a full pre-show is going 3.5 hours, but I’m not tired.

Match is everything you’d expect. LOL at the Street Fighter move late in the match.

Moxley has a boss theme. Like ten times more bass and volume than anyone else. He gets a cut eyebrow early. Has so much swagger.

A barb-wired chair earns Moxley a YOU SICK FARK chant, which he graciously acknowledges.

There are a lot of goodies under this ring…

The match never gets to running the ropes, so we don’t get to see if that awful second rope rebound is gone forever.

They got a nice crowd reaction shot after the elbow to the heart from the top of the ladder through the tables.

Ow. Tacks into bare feet.

They very deliberately point out that there is no PG version of Moxley. And if that was just their first match…

(Since I failed to mention him by name above: Janela, you poor bastardo.)

Competition is good.

Chris Hero on a old episode of Border Security this week, when he came in for a PWA show on a tourist visa a decade ago.

LOL as it then cuts to a Border Force ad with Ride of the Valkyries as the music.

Ultimately they kindly grant him an entertainment visa.

Just watched the highlight from Fyter fest.

:anguished::anguished::anguished:

The main event. What the?!?

But how good are tag team matches in this company! Unbelievable.

Damn. That reminds me of Scott Steiner trying to kill multiple jobbers with the Frankensteiner after their WWF debut - and this one is even worse than the incident I was thinking of.

Skip to 4:30 for the finish

Scott must’ve had something about jobbers, because in the RAW '93 jobber matches he’d consistently hit his finish, whilst giving them nothing - wouldn’t wrap his legs around their head to help propel them, and he evidently forgot to tell any of them to hold his legs to make the move safer to receive. He would just expect to the jobber to front flip with solely his feet landing on their shoulders as momentum, whilst evade Scott’s body on the landing. Even in Foley’s infamous first match in WCW in '89, where Rick took liberties with Mick, Scott managed to hit his finish like a pro.

Juat quietly how stacked is this years G1

If Renee Michelle doesn’t win the only WWE belt that matters it’s a disgrace.

WWE :rofl::rofl::rofl:

1 Like

Typical Vince solution - ratings have been sliding, clearly subscribers are bailing on the network too otherwise they wouldn’t be offering 3 months for 99c - nothing to do with putting Corbin in the title picture, putting Shane in every second segment or killing interest by largely running the same show every week - nope, ratings are down, because the title was taken off Brock.

To get yourself a PR boost and possibly spur interest in lapsed fans by putting Heyman & Bischoff “in charge” of TV, then the very week that they start assuming responsibility, immediately ■■■■ off large sectors of the fan base, is just so Vince. Bonus stupidity points for giving New Day yet another championship run.

Can but hope the Heyman Era will be this good: