The Wrestling Thread

Was anyone genuinely livid that RVD v Dean Ambrose was put on the pre show while Beth Phoenix and a Bella got on the main card?

I didn't watch the divas match since I take that time to either go to the toilet or have a smoke, but yes. RVD v Ambrose was a good match (ending included) and deserved a spot on the main card, but I understand that WWE are continuing to shove Total Divas down our throats during PPV's and during the weekly shows.

Obviously it should be on the maincard, but it's to a) garner more interest for the preshow, and eke out more buys more the main show.

It’s 2013, and we’re still starting RAW PPVs with boring ten-minutes promos from HHH!

Australia's Matt Silva will debut on NXT soon as "Buddy Murphy"

First reaction: "ew"

Further reactions: "well... better than Dolph Ziggler"

Australia's Matt Silva will debut on NXT soon as "Buddy Murphy"

First reaction: "ew"

Further reactions: "well... better than Dolph Ziggler"

What the hell has happened to wrestling names like "The Ultimate Warrior", "Macho Man Randy Savage", "Hulk Hogan", "The Big Boss Man", "Cactus Jack" etc.  

Why does everybody have to have a "normal" sounding name now?  Is this a response to UFC (UFC has done such a better job of ripping off wrestling than wrestling has of ripping off UFC).

I remember when Batista and Cena were coming up, they were called Leviathan (Batista) and The Prototype (Cena).  Aren't those cooler sounding wrestling names than "Dave Batista" and "John Cena".  And those are two of the better ones actually.

As for Matt Silva, hopefully he's better than Nathan Jones.  God, remember him?  He looked like a total badass and had awesome entrance music and gimmick, but he was just so, so very bad.

WWE PPV Battleground spoilers…

[spoiler]If John Cena can't have the title, then GODDAMNIT NO ONE GETS TO HAVE IT!

I'd call it a Dusty Finish, but tonight the Rhodes ending was the only good one.[/spoiler]

Didnt matt silva get in trouble for a promo he did in which he referenced in particular something wwe are trying to erase.

Storm in a teacup. The guy who made the videos publicly viewable is in more trouble.

I still hate Randy Orton a lot and refuse to watch while he's in the title mix.

I'd also like to say how great NXT is. So many great characters and matches. And nowadays the crowd is right into it, rather than the early days when they would sit around hoping John Cena does a surprise appearance.

Didnt matt silva get in trouble for a promo he did in which he referenced in particular something wwe are trying to erase.

Must have missed that.

What was said?

He said something like "I'm the guy sitting there staring a hole in the wall and you're wondering if he's going to go home and murder his kids"

He said something like "I'm the guy sitting there staring a hole in the wall and you're wondering if he's going to go home and murder his kids"

Suprized that was allowed to come out.

One thing about Buddy Murphy(AKA Matt Silva) is he can cut one hell of a promo

is there a more boring main event wrestler than Randy Orton in the last 10 years. I reckon he has only had a few matches that i would actually want to watch again.

they rode the wave of the rock, scsa, HHH(In his prime), Kurt Angle and Taker(In his prime) for to long without bringing someone up through the mid card now you have this complete duds such as orton and cena in main events and holding titles. Hopfully the way they have no done NXT will result in the classic mid card build up to a main eventer.

It wasn't. The guy that leaked the video copped a spray. Well he didn't "leak" it as such, just forgot to make it private.

they rode the wave of the rock, scsa, HHH(In his prime), Kurt Angle and Taker(In his prime) for to long without bringing someone up through the mid card now you have this complete duds such as orton and cena in main events and holding titles. Hopfully the way they have no done NXT will result in the classic mid card build up to a main eventer.

spot on. They relied on the main guys way too much. By around early to mid 2002, Austin,Rock were gone, Taker was stale. HHH pretty much won every single match, and only dropped the belt to his buddy HBK.  There was so many times where they could of really built up guys like:

*Booker T

*RVD

these were two guys who were way over with the crowd, but they would just get buried by HHH. 

PPV's nowdays are just average, half of them have terrible endings with matches that are no better than your average Raw.

It wasn't. The guy that leaked the video copped a spray. Well he didn't "leak" it as such, just forgot to make it private.

Hopefully he get's a run on the big shows - Raw & Smackdown....A lot of the better matches have been via the mid carders - D bry etc..

Storm in a teacup. The guy who made the videos publicly viewable is in more trouble.

I still hate Randy Orton a lot and refuse to watch while he's in the title mix.

I'd also like to say how great NXT is. So many great characters and matches. And nowadays the crowd is right into it, rather than the early days when they would sit around hoping John Cena does a surprise appearance.

When's NXT on?  I've heard good things about it, but never actually seen it.

Thursday arvo I think. I usually IQ it and watch it on the weekend.

NXT is a developmental show for the younger superstars. They actually have their own major champion, tag champs and diva's champ.

Senior wrestlers still make appearances every now and then to increase ratings.

Bound for Glory comments

[spoiler]
Well, TNA's "big show" Bound for Glory was a bit of a mess. As usual, they're never boring… but they do weird and mis-timed rubbish.

They start in the pre-show by not giving Bad Influence the obvious win in the #1 contender match, despite them CLEARLY being both the best wrestlers and the best entertainers. I'm a big fan of Daniels, who was the boss in all of TNA's five star matches, and has been just magnificent on the mike in this latest run. Boo. At least they then determine the actual winner of the match, the less-talented but less-insulting joke team remaining.

Ultimate X: Manik (champion) defends against Samoa Joe, Chris Sabin, Austin Aries and Jeff Hardy. Five is waaaay too many for this kind of match, even if it is an all-star list like this. More particularly, Hardy is allowed to crap all over the concept by rapidly introducing a ladder. Such a waste.

Yay, a bonus Bad Influence promo. Abyss, snore. Make a freaking decision on this one, TNA.

A surprise as joke team Bro-Mans hang nicely with Storm and Gunner, getting the crowd legit into it, and then win the tag title clean. Given how absurdly low-profile the actual champions had been in recent months, a spark was definitely needed.

Angle refuses to go into the TNA Hall of Fame. Huh? Knowing TNA, they may never explain this.

Knockouts three-way for the title: ODB (champion) vs Brooke vs Gail Kim. Some pretty nice hits in this one (including the double whack to the ref, NICE), before we get the inevitable Lei'd run-in. Down goes ODB, SMASH goes Brooke in a sweet powerbomb over the top rope, Gail wins and is exposed as the mastermind behind Lei'd. Gail can be title holder as many times as she likes, I say.

Angle vs Roode: we have a story, and two guys good enough to make it work. Twenty minutes of good stuff (I even liked the ref mistake) and then a WTF ending. I'd say "you can't make this up", but they are very good at doing exactly that at TNA.

Ethan Carter III (Derrick Bateman) debuts against the skinniest professional wrestler in the history of the universe, "Norv Fernum". This was pretty damn fun/funny, even if it had no right to be placed where it was. WE WANT MORE NORV.

Sting vs Magnus: see the Angle vs Roode bit. There's an even more solid story, but these two didn't quite pull it off in the ring. Another 10 minutes (if Sting could do that) and it would have worked, I suspect. As it was, kinda MEH. I agreed with the crowd when Sting did the Flair Drop, though -- great touch, even if it was a poor imitation.

And now to our main event, with Bully Ray having done all the promos and AJ Styles quiet. No one thinks AJ won't win after the looooooooong build-up and replays of his previous World Title wins during the show, but expect all sorts of hell on the way. AJ on the receiving end of a stack of insane hits, notably the boot to the chest through the ropes and the flip into the ringside table going wrong. That was nasty. Please don't die. Aaaaand… Dixie kills the momentum of the match at the end (a tad surprising, and wasteful, as she finally actually cut a good promo a couple weeks back).

As much as I appreciate what Bully Ray has done in recent times (indeed, years): yay AJ.

Try not to fark it up, TNA.
[/spoiler]

And as screwy as 'Bound for Glory' was, at times… I felt a lot less insulted than I did after 'Hell in a Cell'. FFS.