The Wrestling Thread

Isn't there data showing that interest in WWE has never been higher but ratings are shot. There's simply too much wrestling each week, but they wouldn't make as much money if they didn't make so much. It's all very weird.

Probably has a lot to do with their strong presence on social media

Personally RAW is too long at 3 hours. Used to love watching it when it was 2 hours. Now I just fast forward most of it (that and I watch it when I go to Mums for dinner on Thursday)

Personally I’d love to know how many people watch the shows on WWE network. Raw, SD and Nxt are 7 hours…how the hell do people have the time to wwatch anything else??

I only just got the network again (they had a deal where it is was free for a few months). I haven’t watched any of the network shows. I watched the end of Surivor Series. Now I’m just working my way through Raw and Smackdown from the start of 2000 to the end. Almost up to No Way Out. WWF was so awesome back then. Great characters, cool stories, edgy, blood in the occasional match, The Rock at the top of his game. Might try and watch some of the rivalry special as well

Definitely great viewing those years. I was flicking through the network from 2010-2014, it mmay have been 2008 actually and although I watched most of them live I was staggered at how I couldn’t remember any of them (bar Unforgiven where it was DX V McMahon in a HIAC and Cena Edge in a TLC), whereas I can pretty much remember 98-98-2001 like the back of my hand.

For the price of the network, only if you watwatch 5-6 ppvs per view the price is worth it. I’m just trying to find the time to watch the old Royal Rumble matches again!

BTW is it sad that I name city and main event of WrestleMania til WM25?

2001 imo is still the best Royal Rumble. Had a bit of everything. Probably the most star studded Royal Rumble in History.

2000 is the better PPV

Isn't there data showing that interest in WWE has never been higher but ratings are shot. There's simply too much wrestling each week, but they wouldn't make as much money if they didn't make so much. It's all very weird.

Probably has a lot to do with their strong presence on social media

Personally RAW is too long at 3 hours. Used to love watching it when it was 2 hours. Now I just fast forward most of it (that and I watch it when I go to Mums for dinner on Thursday)

Personally I’d love to know how many people watch the shows on WWE network. Raw, SD and Nxt are 7 hours…how the hell do people have the time to wwatch anything else??

I reckon DJR has the time!

2000 is the better PPV

agree. That PPV as a whole beats 2001.

Mainly due to the streetfight between Cactus and HHH. Though the tables match between the Hardy’s and Dudleys is very very good

I don’t watch RAW. I watch Smackdown, mostly for AJ (and Alexa! Killing it!) but also because it’s shorter and infinitely better booked. Still skim bits.

P.S. 3+2+1 does not equal 7

P.P.S It’s E LI DRAKE vs EC3 tonight! You can guess the result but that’s alright 'cause E LI will probably remain the best promo giver even when he’s not allowed to talk.

Ah your right.

Nxt only 1 hour, still too much tv for one week

Watched 93 Rumble today as along with 89 and 03 (remember when foxtel stopped showing ppvs for a few months and village cinema’s started showing them) are the only ones I haven’t seen

Bret Hart V Razor Ramon…man they were both great workers

Giant Gonzales…the original Giant Khali…think they would have learnt their lesson the first time (although as a kid I remember how awesome it was seeing this guy way bigger than the Undertaker)

And lastly, Shawn Michaels when his theme song was sung by Sentational Sherri haha good times

Such a thin roster though. Think that was the reason why they begged Hogan to come back for WM9 (unless I’m mistaken)

Okay now maybe I’m interested in going to NXT @ GC http://bit.ly/NXTGoldCoast

There is more than 7 hours of new WWE “wrestling” content each week, though. <i class="Italic”>Superstars Main Event still exists, I’m told, Talking Smack is brilliant, and 205 Live starts this week (and screws up the timing of Talking Smack). Stupid idiots.

But I guessed right and watched this week’s RAW main event without reading spoilers.

2016 wrestling, hey? 20 ■■■■■■ 16.

The hell does Roman have the US belt for anyway? Waste of time.

Here you go DJR…8 MCW talents getting tryouts - article only names 3 though: Kellyanne, Mr. Juicy & JXT.

Haven’t seen Mr Juicy given he’s never featured on OCW…but 4 concussions, his short term memory is shot and his doctor wants him to give it away…something tells me he’s got no hope of passing their physical even if offered a contract.

From the times I’ve seen OCW on Channel 31 surely Adam Brooks and Dowie James would have to be in the mix for a tryout?

Mr Juicy seems a long shot to me. Dunno if his gimmick and body translates to the big league.

JXT is loved by the teeny-boppers, but I don’t see overt standout characteristics.

Evie vs Kellyanne stole the show with the Last Woman Standing match last Friday. Evie tried out with WWE a few years back, and has been on NXT TV, Shimmer, Stardom, etc… I consider it a no-brainer she should be chosen. Kellyanne has grown on me; their feud in recent months has been fantastic.

Can’t see who the other four testing are: KrakerJak is the complete package but presumably too old. Syd Parker is a freak, can do amazing things for a tall skinny guy. Adam Brooks is a fantastic ■■■■-talking heel. Australian Suicide has been a Mexican staple in recent years, been back here for the last two MCW shows. But Vince would definitely prefer big man Elliott Sexton over the smaller guy who dethroned him, Dowie James.

A little clip from Evie/Kellyanne; the B&W version, for Saladin’s pleasure.

Great heels make a great show, says Smackdown. And they’re right. Kudos to the crowd for picking up the “You deserved it” clues from Miz and chanting it at Ambrose as he received his participation award. BURN.

Also, decent pyro celebration:

Melbourne appearances of NXT talent today:

Hometown boy Buddy Murphy @ EB Games on Swanston St from 3.30pm
The Glorious One Bobby Roode & Ember Moon @ The Sporting Globe, 228 Bridge Rd, Richmond from 3.30pm

Evie vs Kellyanne stole the show with the Last Woman Standing match last Friday. Evie tried out with WWE a few years back, and has been on NXT TV, Shimmer, to Japan, etc… I consider it a no-brainer she should be chosen.
Aaaaaand apparently confirmed she’s reporting to WWE on January 3.

411Mania says tryouts were also held in Osaka and Perth, with Melbourne’s tests including:

Jermaine “Jonah Rock” Haley and Luke “Slex” Guyett, who have also competed in Australia and Japan, and who are members of The Mighty Don’t Kneel stable, a group that launched the careers of NXT Superstars Shane Thorne & Nick Miller; Chantelle “Shazza McKenzie” Alison, who has wrestled in NXT, SHIMMER Women Athletes and Shine Wrestling; Adam Wilmot, aka Adam Brooks, who trained under and formerly teamed with Buddy Murphy; and Kellyanne Salter, who has competed in the U.S., Mexico and Canada, in addition to her native Australia.

• Jonah Rock is an uber-Begley Maori Samoan.
  • Slex is a former MCW champion (as well as other honours) — he and a third TMDK member were quickly jobbed out of the MCW Tag Titles last week.
  • Shazza can be face or heel, well-travelled and has cameo-ed on NXT TV.
  • The other two we’ve covered already.

A fan sent this to Brooks:

https://twitter.com/theadambrooksy/status/807115831922475008

If you get the chance to head along to the NXT shows - grab it. The Melbourne show was very good, with TM61 vs. DIY stealing the show.
Happy to see Brooks get a tryout

I thought DJR might’ve posted his usual snarky repartee about the Melbourne show, but seeing he hasn’t I’ll post my review that went up on a wrestling site a few days ago

Andrea D’Marco gets things off on the wrong foot by welcoming everyone to the show and pronouncing Melbourne incorrectly - to be completely fair she got it right by the end of the night and with 5 Australians in the touring group, someone should’ve given her the head’s up.

Liv Morgan vs. Billie Kay vs. Ember Moon
Good pops for Billie & Ember, less of a reaction for Liv. Billie received Bayley’s “Are you Going to be my Girl” chant, which she wasn’t fond of. Finish came with Liv & Ember battling on the top rope, it looked to be heading for a tower of doom corner spot as Billie suplexed Liv, but Ember held onto the ropes and picked off Billie with her finisher. Liv took a bad bump whilst making an outside dive (looked like she partly caught the ropes) and was noticeably slow to make her way backstage.

Blake vs. Andrade Almas
Blake was booed out of the building to start with which as the face wasn’t ideal - probably it being Murphy’s home town and Blake his ex-partner was a factor - have to give props, particularly to Blake, but to Andrade as well, as they both worked really hard to turn the crowd back and had succeeded by the last few minutes of the match. Andrade hits his running double knees followed by the hammerlock DDT for the win.

The Revival vs. Riddick Moss & Tino Sabatelli
Big pop for Revival…“who are you” chants directed at Moss & Sabatelli. Only wrestler mic work of the night comes from Dash & Dawson. Given Moss & Sabatelli have only had 1 match as a team on TV, few in the crowd knew who they were so the Revival received babyface reactions all through the match, despite working the match as heels. They’ve definitely got something to work with in Moss & Sabatelli once they get a bit more seasoning. Solid match with the Revival winning with Shatter Machine.

Patrick Clark vs. Oney Lorcan
One of the two matches where the crowd was a little disrespectful in. Sexual Chocolate and Purple Rain chants for Clark during the match. Unlike Blake, with the crowd solidly behind Clark, Lorcan didn’t really do much to get the crowd back on side. First holy ■■■■ chant of the night goes to Clark, who after getting annoyed at the ref’s count took off his scarf/bandana and began whipping Lorcan with it…which prompted an ECW chant. Where the crowd was disrespectful was sarcastically chanting “fight forever” whilst Lorcan was working another headlock before following it up with “this is awesome” for more Lorcan rest holds. I personally didn’t think the work was that bad, just clearly not what people wanted to see on the night combined with Lorcan and Clark not being terribly exposed on TV. Lorcan wins via submission with an elevated half crab - from a match logic standpoint the finish didn’t make any sense as Clark tapped instantaneously despite Lorcan not working the back or legs all match, but whatever. Give Clark 6 months and I think he’ll really start to shine as he is naturally charismatic in the ring, and he seems very comfortable in this new Prince gimmick.

DIY vs. TM61 for the Tag Titles Big pops for both teams. All I'll say on this one is cameras were filming all night and whilst I doubt the plan was to show anything other than the cage match, I really hope Trips calls an audible and airs this to the world. Absolutely phenomenal match and match of the night. DIY retain via their finisher.

Crowd loves William Regal’s appearance after intermission and he clearly loves what he is doing behind-the-scenes - only speaks for 2-3 minutes and still manages to showcase his trademark droll sense of humour with 2 one liners. Class act.

Elias Samson & Bobby Roode vs. Murphy & Tye Dillinger
Samson gets booed out of the building and overwhelmingly gets the most heat of anybody on the night…honestly hard to tell whether it is genuine heel heat or the old X-Pac get off my TV heat. Samson attempts to play a song to which Melbourne politely tells him to shut the f up, Samson threatens to deprive people of his song…but decides he likes the sound of his own voice too much to stop. Weirdly Roode’s music interrupts to a babyface pop. Excellent reaction for Tye and a good one for Murphy as well. Tye’s 10 gimmick may end up being the bane of many a wrestler’s existence like Austin’s what chant as it permeated almost every other match during the night. Seeing Murphy is on Tye’s team, the crowd turns the chant into Aussie 10, and the typical Aussie, Aussie, Aussie, Oi, Oi, Oi, becomes Aussie, Aussie, Aussie, Ten, Ten, Ten. Really fun match with all enjoying the crowd reactions - Roode’s facial expression when getting 1 chanted at him was exceptional. Thought they would’ve let Murphy get the pin in his hometown but not to be as Tye pins Samson after a Tye Breaker.

Asuka vs. Peyton Royce for the Women’s Title
Royce was the only Australian to get a negative reaction solely because she was announced from Sydney (fairly storied Sydney-Melbourne rivalry), this was odd frankly as Billie Kay is also from Sydney, maybe most of the crowd couldn’t hear Andrea’s announcement for Billie over her music. The crowd obviously was unaware that Peyton mainly worked for Melbourne City Wrestling prior to getting signed by WWE so this was largely as much a homecoming for her as it was Murphy. Fairly disrespectful crowd elements reared their heads during this match again, attempting to start the Mexican wave and chanting we want tables, I think this was also the match a brief CM Punk chant started up. To be perfectly honest, this was the only match I was disappointed with as it never felt like it got out of first gear, whether it was the crowd, or the wrestlers just not meshing, I dunno, it was just there. I think Peyton clearly needs more work before she is ready for this sort of spot though. Asuka wins via Asuka Lock.

Main Event time, but not before the cage gets a botch-a-mania chant for listing at a 45 degree angle and causing a 10 minute delay, a sarcastic “you still got it” chant for the cage, when it is finally ready to be, well, a cage.

Shinsuke Nakamura vs. Samoa Joe for the NXT Title
Big pop for Shinsuke, noticeably lesser one for Joe. Good match, albeit with a lengthy feeling out process to start with. Crowd was pretty hot for most of the match and split 60/40 in favour of Shinsuke, so it should have a good atmosphere on TV. Surprised there wasn’t any real hope spots for Joe. Shinsuke teases leaving the cage via the door, but instead slams it shut and delivers a pretty stiff Kinshasa to the back of Joe’s head, a more traditional front-on Kinshasa follows to retain.

guilted into commenting

Thanks to Dunlop for having a spare ticket at the last moment and giving it to me!

Crowd varied between awesome and stupid. To be fair, that occurs at many larger shows, but on TV you don’t hear or see many of the things that fall flat because they’re stupid. The crowd booed the crap out of the idiots who wanted to start a wave.

Some of the matches or segments were intrinsically un-televisable because they were explicitly house show-ish (the above commentary is wrong, Revival worked face, which was a little disappointing for me; the green kids did well against them though) or just totally contrary to normal narrative (Blake being the heel vs Cien, because he used to be the local’s tag partner).

Sampson got nuclear heat and ultimately told to SHUT THE FARK UP. Very loudly. By everyone. He played it beautifully: “if you’re going to be like that I won’t be able to finish my song…”

I place Kay primarily responsible for the bad Morgan bump — she was involved in two of the three BOTCHAMANIA chants for the night. The other one was for the cage, of course.

Credit where credit is due, Peyton Royce carried most of her match against Asuka. Note: she did little wrestling, and it wasn’t very good wrestling either, at MCW. It was mostly valet-ing with occasional interference, while being damn hot. Sara del Rey et al are earning their pay.

Yes, TM61 had a nice match versus DIY, but having seen all seven TMDK members in action, I still think they’re the least charismatic and physically impressive. And that includes Elliott Sexton, who I hate (but concede his last couple months have been immensely improved).

That’s my write-up mate - you sure Revival were working face? Moss & Sabatelli usually work heel as well, but Revival did the arrogant heel promo pre-match, they were still doing a reasonable amount of cheating/double-teaming just not to the level they’d do with a more recognisable face team, and the 2nd half of the match was built around a heat beat-down segment on Moss to lead to the lukewarm tag to Sabatelli.