The Wrestling Thread

DJR, are you writing up your recaps for a website or something? Pretty detailed
No, I'm just a snarky smark, entertaining himself.

www.snarkysmark.com for all DJR wrestling reviews & commentary :smiley:

You wouldn’t be able to watch it while writing that much, surely! Just have a beer and enjoy the show? (Not that I don’t like the recaps, just saying)

one thing that last night proved beyond a shadow of a doubt is Goldberg still has the best entrance ever in wrestling

I watched the Survivor Series match last night. Man that was good. Entrance brilliant, and the way it was booked was also absolutely brilliant - surely not what anyone was expecting.

He announced yesterday on Raw that he has “one last title run left in him” and that he’ll be in the Royal Rumble match. Fascinating to see what happens from here.

Knowing he was already signed for future matches, it makes sense not to do anything that would make Oldberg look bad. They can similarly hide him in the Rumbie match, but do you just do it forever? Now you’re paying silly money for a couple dates for two guys, and they’re not even different dates to maximise your returns.

Knowing he was already signed for future matches, it makes sense not to do anything that would make Oldberg look bad. They can similarly hide him in the Rumbie match, but do you just do it forever? Now you're paying silly money for a couple dates for two guys, and they're not even different dates to maximise your returns.

You’re looking at it as a business decision. Surely you should be looking at it as a consumer of the product? It might be a bit silly but the ratings have been enormous so people are clearly into it!

Also stop being such a snark, you snarky snark snark.

Also they don’t necessarily need to hide him. They could book him for one last streak run as champ where he wrestles only at ppvs and destroys opponents just like he did lesnar. Then when time is up you can have him put someone over massively, like a Samoa Joe for instance.

Also they don't necessarily need to hide him. They could book him for one last streak run as champ where he wrestles only at pics and destroys opponents just like he did lesnar. Then when time is up you can have him put someone over massively, like a Samoa Joe for instance.

Yeah I see his “title run” being just the Rumble appearance, where he’ll be eliminated by Joe, Balor or whoever they want to get over…

So prepare for Goldberg to be eliminated by Roman Reigns.

Also they don't necessarily need to hide him. They could book him for one last streak run as champ where he wrestles only at pics and destroys opponents just like he did lesnar. Then when time is up you can have him put someone over massively, like a Samoa Joe for instance.

Yeah I see his “title run” being just the Rumble appearance, where he’ll be eliminated by Joe, Balor or whoever they want to get over…

That’s all very true and likely.

Spear.

Knowing he was already signed for future matches, it makes sense not to do anything that would make Oldberg look bad. They can similarly hide him in the Rumbie match, but do you just do it forever? Now you're paying silly money for a couple dates for two guys, and they're not even different dates to maximise your returns.

You’re looking at it as a business decision. Surely you should be looking at it as a consumer of the product? It might be a bit silly but the ratings have been enormous so people are clearly into it!

I'm sorry they're what now? Sure the 2 highest rating episodes of Raw in the past 2 months have been Goldberg's return and this week's episode, but lets not delude anybody with talk of them being enormous - they're still a good 300k off their highest rating post-brand split and a good million off their high for the year.

All things considered WWE would be very disappointed at only getting a 124k bump out of it, especially given there is always a post-PPV bump anyway - they got a bigger bump out of Hell in a Cell (167k) then they did Survivor Series.

Isn’t there data showing that interest in WWE has never been higher but ratings are shot. There’s simply too much wrestling each week, but they wouldn’t make as much money if they didn’t make so much. It’s all very weird.

You should Tout about that. Because that’s what matters.

I saw an article saying ratings were ops for Goldberg, maybe it was wrong!

Imagine watching the last year or so as a kid with little to no knowledge of WWE history.

Big scary monster Bork Laser comes in every once in a while and wrecks the sht out of all your heroes. Then out comes this loud older dude that the crowd go bananas for and says he loves wrestling because of the young fans. Then he comes in at Survivor Series and wrecks the sht out of Bork in less than two minutes. And just like that, Goldberg now has an entire generation’s worth of new fans.

Isn't there data showing that interest in WWE has never been higher but ratings are shot. There's simply too much wrestling each week, but they wouldn't make as much money if they didn't make so much. It's all very weird.

Probably has a lot to do with their strong presence on social media

Personally RAW is too long at 3 hours. Used to love watching it when it was 2 hours. Now I just fast forward most of it (that and I watch it when I go to Mums for dinner on Thursday)

Personally I’d love to know how many people watch the shows on WWE network. Raw, SD and Nxt are 7 hours…how the hell do people have the time to wwatch anything else??

Isn't there data showing that interest in WWE has never been higher but ratings are shot. There's simply too much wrestling each week, but they wouldn't make as much money if they didn't make so much. It's all very weird.

Personally RAW is too long at 3 hours. Used to love watching it when it was 2 hours. Now I just fast forward most of it (that and I watch it when I go to Mums for dinner on Thursday)

Personally I’d love to know how many people watch the shows on WWE network. Raw, SD and Nxt are 7 hours…how the hell do people have the time to wwatch anything else??

I only just got the network again (they had a deal where it is was free for a few months). I haven’t watched any of the network shows. I watched the end of Surivor Series. Now I’m just working my way through Raw and Smackdown from the start of 2000 to the end. Almost up to No Way Out. WWF was so awesome back then. Great characters, cool stories, edgy, blood in the occasional match, The Rock at the top of his game. Might try and watch some of the rivalry special as well

As I’ve mentioned before, moving through NWA/WCW/WWE PPVs. Have slowed down in mid-nineties once they both started putting on so many more of them. Lawler and McMahon as commentators is the worst setup EVER.

You can tell why commentators to this day feel obliged to beat up false finishes – Vince calls matches as definitely finished/new champion a ridiculous number of times.

At least on the WCW shows you have Bobby Heenan.

I only just got the network again (they had a deal where it is was free for a few months). I haven’t watched any of the network shows. I watched the end of Surivor Series. Now I’m just working my way through Raw and Smackdown from the start of 2000 to the end. Almost up to No Way Out. WWF was so awesome back then. Great characters, cool stories, edgy, blood in the occasional match, The Rock at the top of his game. Might try and watch some of the rivalry special as well

Definitely great viewing those years. I was flicking through the network from 2010-2014, it mmay have been 2008 actually and although I watched most of them live I was staggered at how I couldn’t remember any of them (bar Unforgiven where it was DX V McMahon in a HIAC and Cena Edge in a TLC), whereas I can pretty much remember 98-98-2001 like the back of my hand.

For the price of the network, only if you watwatch 5-6 ppvs per view the price is worth it. I’m just trying to find the time to watch the old Royal Rumble matches again!

BTW is it sad that I name city and main event of WrestleMania til WM25?