The Wrestling Thread

he won the first round i reckon

1 Like

Got destroyed in teh second

Getting killed in the third

Ugly, please dont fight again CM Punk.

Punk had the heart, but it’s very hard to learn to fight UFC at 39, he left it way too late in his career. Nothing but respect for the man as I reckon he won the first round but was clearly outboxed which did him in badly. I reckon he did himself proud.

1 Like

Fck he had heart but for the same reason you don’t take tennis up at 25 and expect to be top 100 in a few years you can’t take it up late 30’s. He’s basically going up against guys that have 10+ years on him. I reckon to go 3 rounds is an excellent effort…but please come back to wrestling.

NJPW Dominion comment:

A very good day for those from Winnipeg!

(Mysterio looked amazing in his tag match too. I haven’t seen him that quick or agile for many many years.)

Looks like Mike Jackson, happy with himself afterwards, seemed caught of guard by Dana’s comments on him, Jackson was baffled on twitter.

“(Punk) got clipped a lot in that fight, and it looked like he was hurt,” White said. “Michael Jackson I’m not happy with. This guy was acting like a goofball tonight. You get this opportunity to fight CM Punk, and you’re doing, like, bolo punches to the body on top. Never looked like he was trying to finish the fight ever. Looked like he could have finished the fight a few times. Never tried.

“I don’t know what that guy did for a living before we gave him the shot, but whatever it was, he needs to go back and do that again. He’s 0-2 as far as I’m concerned.”

Asked to elaborate on the behavior he considered to be showboating, White said, “I got the sense that he’s a complete f-cking idiot, and I couldn’t wait for that fight to end, and I regretted not putting that fight on Fight Pass. That’s how I felt about that fight.”

Money in the bank this Monday.

You have to say someone from the Smackdown will win the Men’s MITB.

The title needs to be around to cash it in on Raw.

TBH I haven’t watched Raw since the week after Wrestlemania. it’s so incredibly boring without a champion.

The whole card is so sht. I’ll probably watch the Nakamura/Styles match but nothing else. Miz/Lynch should win the cases but won’t.

Will definitely watch Takeover though. The card is a liiiiitle bit ho-hum by NXT standards (couldn’t give less of a fk about Sullivan and Burch/Lorcan - just give us UE vs BSS already) but will probably be brilliant anyway.

Somewhat tangentially, a Dream/Miz feud would the GOAT.

NXT is all I subscribe for. And it’s worth it it.

Dunne/O’Reilly was great this week.

Over to the main roster … They’ve screwed up AJ/Nak to the point where I don’t care. It’s quite amazing how WWE manage to pull that off with regularity. Just about anything that appears interesting on the surface gets ploughed into the ground until you just don’t want to hear about it anymore.

Lucha Underground is (finally) back today!

I reckon Miz will win it, he is probably the only heel that has any real heat.He will Cash in and Beat Styles. Then they will build Bryan v.s Miz for Royal Rumble. Where Bryan will take the title and face either Styles or Reigns at Wrestlemania.

Yeah, just tap out already, Money in the Bank. NXT wins again.

Spoilers, including a Radio 3DJR detailed call of the main event:

Undisputed Era vs Oney/Burch

Undisputed come out to a massive pop, their opponents to crickets. The match is clearly designed with Undisputed as the heels, down to sneak attacks on the guy waiting in the corner and hot tags. The problem is the crowd reactions completely disregarded that…

Adam Cole BABY gets chucked out, correctly, and the crowd chants BULLSHIT.

The crowd wasn’t overtly rude to the nominal faces (e.g. popping for moments such as Lorcan no-selling the kick to the face late and dealing nasty slaps to O’Reilly, and the post-match applause) but not matter how good the action was this is a bit of a failure.

Richochet vs Velveteen

Dream doing Hogan impersonations? Pls. Don’t put that evil on him.

Velveteen’s slow motion rope jumps (in and out, keeping contact with the rope all the way) are certainly something. Especially as a point of contrast with Ricochet effortlessly passing through/over them. LIKE.

Dream (tamely) impersonating Ricochet’s leap from the top rope to the apron was a nice call-back to “show me”.

I was almost thinking Ricochet wasn’t getting back into the ring by ten… but damn, that no-contact roll in was gorgeous. Mad skillz.

Dream very slightly ahead on crowd reaction during the alternating series of blows?

Ricochet switching to the Shooting Star Press and the consequent long-distance elbow attempt was great story-telling. You’re not there yet, Dream. Correct call that Ricochet does not overtly acknowledge him post-match.

Boy oh boy wowee.

Bayzler © vs Cross

LET’S GO EVIE.

Sorry, got distracted.

Yay, a boring old match where the face and heel are completely obvious and agreed upon. Though not as much as THAT one coming later…

Several minutes in… what the fark is going on in the crowd?

PLEASE MA’AM… CAN I HAVE SOME MORE?

At no stage did Bayzler look green to me.

The end sequence based entirely on Cross’s hyperactive eyes was very different to the usual formula and quite clever.

(Reveal of Keith Lee in the crowd: hard to get excited, he’s that flog Adam Brooks kicked out of PWG…)

Black © vs Sullivan

Sweet backlit shot of Sullivan during his entry.

Look, I love Sullivan’s look and he was generally excellent here, but him selling a massive missed kick at the end was truly awful. Worse, the commentary tried to pretend it made contact. I’m with the crowd: YOU FARKED UP.

And then the ending looked to be either Black over-compensating with the next kick or fake blood. Urgh either way.

Being harsh above… but the match was not the snooze fest some were expecting. Definitely helped Sullivan.

Gargano vs Ciampa

Gargano just attempted to kill Nigel. What an ■■■■■■■■.

Obvious planted fan and obvious planted sign is obvious. Ciampa has got the system rigged against him. Injustice.

WWE even fiddling the audio to make it sound like Gargano is the crowd’s favourite. Luckily, they fail to blank out the alternating chant.

Loved seeing Ciampa re-claiming his disability with the knee brace strike. You stand up for the people struggling against misfortune, Tommaso! Strike back against those who allowed it to happen!

Ciampa also very kind to allow the Donningtons of the world to admire him shirtless.

I’m surprised those ‘Psycho Killer’ signs weren’t confiscated. Stick it to the man, true believers.

Nice piping in of the Reign’s “you deserved it” chants there, WWE.

Ciampa also striking back at those who hate the “vision-distracted”. Good stuff.

I’m expecting Tripper will come in here to label Tommaso a SJW. Goes to show how far removed from reality he is.

(The canvas is usually only tied down on two sides, not four? Really?)

FINISH HIM!

Ciampa trying to show he’s not bound by his disability by removing his brace. So brave. But no, the System is here to beat him down and pointedly remind him of it. Booooooooooo.

Symbols are important. Tommaso uses a physical symbol of his injury to fight back.

Gargano screwed Gargano. So true, now and a year ago.

Typical insensitivity from the ref and crowd, not acknowledging Tommaso’s pain and suffering.

(Heavy dolly crate stored on its side. Sure, why not.)

Love the imagery of Tommaso removing Gargano’s ring and throwing it away. Gargano has only got this far by calling on others for help: no, this should be one-on-one. It’s only fair.

Yeah, you got tables, you scum crowd.

(Luckily that Tommaso managed to control that fall so well, given some idiot put the tables the wrong way around and made it possible the fall would go between them, not across them. Seriously rigged, this place. Not a safe working environment.)

Wow, this is low, even for scum like Gargano. Attacking more co-workers, from behind.

Even the commentators are starting to realise what a nasty piece of work he is. But they’re too gutless to actually stop it: disappointed in you, Nigel. I know he tried to kill you earlier but you can’t let evil win.

YES!!!

A ref with integrity!!!

Just fantastic to see good triumph against all the odds. Just beautiful.

Still, that ref excepted:

http://i.imgur.com/deStHJp.gif

[Ha, images/links don’t work in spoiler space. FARK THIS COMPANY.]

And fark Chicago. YOU DESERVE IT.

Oh, and this will be live broadcast on the Network. Can’t say I’m excited about Undertaker vs HHH being the likely main event, though.

Yeah … if Taker’s the draw I’m not coming down for it.

Meanwhile, Takeover was outstanding duh.

Crowd so hot for the opener.

Prince/King started slow but ended well.

Shayna/Cross zzz. No build no feud boring match.

Black/Lars was good, but Black needs a better feud too.

DIY just amazing. Please move these two onto other things.

Opening tag match was heaps better than I thought it would be. If Burch/Lorcan could somehow develop personalities they would be great.

Dream/Ricochet was awesome. Ricochet is getting better at pacing his matches and making them look like fights. All of Dream’s feuds so far have ended with him “winning” - Black said his name, he knocked out Ohno, he stole the show in the ladder match, and he did everything Ricochet could do. That’s Jericho/Miz levels of character strength - the outcome of the match itself bears almost no relevance on his progression.

I loved the women’s match. Cross happily accepting her fate at the end was a great visual.

Larssszzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz. Black v literally anyone else next pls

Didn’t expect Gargano/Ciampa to top their last match. I was wrong. Interested to see what happens to Johnny from here.

1 Like

Hopefully Gorgano has PTSD and struggles to reconcile the man he’s become.

Hopefully Ciampa beats the hell out of Black to take the title. He needs a belt.

Money in the Bank had quite a few highlights but yeah, TakeOver won comfortably.

Was it the intent of the commentators to make Elias seem like a clueless idiot? ‘Cause they did a mighty fine job doing that, repeatedly pointing out his failure to target his opponent’s weakness.

P.S. Rollins is a dirty cheat.

“It chronicles the [Hardys’] journey from the depths of hell back to superstardom” — someone’s not a fan of TNA.

Damn, the women had a sweet sequence early (starting with Sasha getting her back cracked by Moon), using the ladders in various neat ways.

LANA IS THE BEST, LANA #1… at setting up ladders of sufficient height.

Geez that was a lot of false finishes. Most enjoyable.

Jinder/Reigns: yeah, this was always going to be a disaster of massive proportions.

Mella needs to be nice to her friend that is a boy. Sadly, this return was spoilt a week ago for anyone who has the internet. Kinda dumb showing those famous hands before the reveal, too.

AJ and Nakamura in a slow-paced grind? Well, the second half was pretty awesome, I’ll give it that. And that kick at the end! Ow.

If Rhonda deliberately fell out of the ring after the powerbomb, that’s AJ Styles-level selling.

“How are you still employed, Coach? That was the dumbest thing I’ve ever heard in my life.”

Rousey can’t tie her shoelaces, but she’s got the rest pretty damn well worked out.

BULLIES ALWAYS WIN. And get applauded for it.

Men’s ladder match was really distracted by having Strowman in it. I guess we know why we needed eight men in the match now.

I skipped through the entire show other than AJ/Nak, and both ladder matches.

Someone in head office really, really likes Alexa Bliss.