Things from other countries/cultures we should adopt

Tipping servers like you do in the USA, cause the service you get here in all but the best places is ******* shithouse by comparison.

So if we tip them then their service will get better?

First improve the service, then i'll decide if I want to tip.

People are clueless about this.

Here, the cost of your meal covers the wages of the servers. So you're paying for the service be it good or bad.

There, the cost of your meal doesn't cover the wages of the servers, so the food is cheaper. The only way the servers get paid is if their service is good, so they are forced to be good. Here servers couldn't give a fark at being good because they're getting paid regardless.

Go on paying for ***** service if you wish, the system in the states is 10x better. How many times do you go into a restaurant here and sit around for 15 minutes before anyone comes to take your drinks order, then you get left sitting around another 15 minutes waiting to take your food order, and then wait another half an hour before the food actually shows up? That **** doesn't happen over there.

Hold on a sec. You said "tipping servers like you do in the US" so I took it to mean that you want us to tip the guys in Australia the same way.

Now if you mentioned in your post that we should reduce the cost of the meals and have the waiters service determine their wage then I would be all for that and be less "clueless" about it.

Tipping servers like you do in the USA, cause the service you get here in all but the best places is ******* shithouse by comparison.

So if we tip them then their service will get better?

First improve the service, then i'll decide if I want to tip.

Doesn't matter how well you treat a customer here, you could wash their cars while they're eating and half of them would still treat you like ****. It's a two way street, **** customers make **** service.

They get tipped because they get paid the grand sum of about $3 an hour.

But that's why they give good service, the better the service, the better the tip...usually. What I do hate about that system though is that sometimes they are so overbearing and don't know when to leave you alone, like this one time I was in the mall of america in minnesota and decided to stop in at hooters for lunch and a couple of bevvies, well due to the superb service I could hardly walk a straight line when I left there and didn't end up doing much shopping that day.

Dunno mate. This was my theory but the service we got the last time we went to NYC and San Francisco in 2011 was ordinary. Tipping was just a flat 15% and it seems that no one ever tipped extra and since it was mandatory they didn't have to work for it.

I had told my Mrs (first timer) to expect great service as that's what I remembered from the 90's when every waiter/waitress went out of their way to ask about your holiday and offer directions and local insight, or they had a funny act or something, but this time around we got zilch. Maybe we just lucked out. Half the time I was annoyed that we had to wait so long for the bill that I didn't want to tip at all.

I would say service is better in Melbourne because tipping is optional - they suck up a bit.

They get tipped because they get paid the grand sum of about $3 an hour.

But that's why they give good service, the better the service, the better the tip...usually. What I do hate about that system though is that sometimes they are so overbearing and don't know when to leave you alone, like this one time I was in the mall of america in minnesota and decided to stop in at hooters for lunch and a couple of bevvies, well due to the superb service I could hardly walk a straight line when I left there and didn't end up doing much shopping that day.

Dunno mate. This was my theory but the service we got the last time we went to NYC and San Francisco in 2011 was ordinary. Tipping was just a flat 15% and it seems that no one ever tipped extra and since it was mandatory they didn't have to work for it.

I had told my Mrs (first timer) to expect great service as that's what I remembered from the 90's when every waiter/waitress went out of their way to ask about your holiday and offer directions and local insight, or they had a funny act or something, but this time around we got zilch. Maybe we just lucked out. Half the time I was annoyed that we had to wait so long for the bill that I didn't want to tip at all.

I would say service is better in Melbourne because tipping is optional - they suck up a bit.

Yeah, can be a bit of a lottery at times, it depends where you go I suppose. I get over there at least once a year and usually have good service, I hate tipping taxis but I always tip room service well so they don't steal my stuff, so far so good :D

I usually go to the US with work, so don’t mind tipping above and beyond. But there were times when I roped the cab driver an additional 50-75% of the fare, and barely got a smile or thank you, scum.

In china, same thing, work paid, but we tipped our translator and driver a lot (apparently not the right thing to do, but who cares). They were blown away by our geniality, and I was very happy with the level of service and it felt good to make someone’s day. Hopefully they got to share it with their family. (Come to think of it, the china tips were out of my own pocket)

Yeah I've found the same thing with cabs over there, they don't give a sh#t and I usually have no idea if they are taking me the long way or not so I give them the bare minimum, I hate speaking to them because of the accent =easy target.

Bia Hoi

On every corner

~25c beers / $1 jugs

And corner shops/drink stands in between, so you don't have to walk to the corner if you're really thirsty

I find the service here at restaurants quite good generally.

10292529_10202941264564556_2766795591240

This.

Oh yeah, was at the Milan Derby a few weeks ago. Read it and weep.

Bia Hoi

On every corner

~25c beers / $1 jugs

And corner shops/drink stands in between, so you don't have to walk to the corner if you're really thirsty

$1, gosh that has gone up. Deceptive little brew as well, much stronger effect than the taste leads you to believe.  

Personal ID Card - Makes life so much simpler. You can even use it in lieu of your passport when I return to HK.

Like a driver's licence?

Well not everyone has a drivers licence or a library card. Australia is in the minority of countries that don't have an ID Card.

So a proof of age card? Which Australia has

Tipping is ■■■■, and should in no way be introduced in Australia.

No doubt that, on average, the service is better. Having people work few dollars an hour, and end up having to pay money some times if they get stiffed on a tip, is absolutely ridiculous though. The only people who benefit are the owners of the bars and restaurants.

Bia Hoi

On every corner

~25c beers / $1 jugs

$1, gosh that has gone up. Deceptive little brew as well, much stronger effect than the taste leads you to believe.  

Softcock. Never drank water in 3 weeks.

Personal ID Card - Makes life so much simpler. You can even use it in lieu of your passport when I return to HK.

Like a driver's licence?

Well not everyone has a drivers licence or a library card. Australia is in the minority of countries that don't have an ID Card.

No - A personal ID Card - That means everyone.

The Velib public bike sharing system in Paris. Was great getting around on it

They have them in Melbourne but the system is Paris is great.
Our helmet laws make it much less popular than it should be. Who carries a helmet around everywhere?
It's a bit of a shame, I'd certainly use the bikes if I could just show up and grab one without having to bring a helmet.

They are located near 7/11's which stock the helmets for like $2. Also most people leave their helmet with the bike I often walk past them.with like 6 helmets sitting on the bikes. But yes the helmet laws are a pain in the ■■■ for a system like this.
Buffalo Wings.

I don't think it's as much our helmet laws, but more so us stupidly combining the bike lanes with car traffic where everywhere else in the world they combine it with foot traffic.
Interesting to note that the 'bike sharing' has been so successful through Europe that Navarra are trialling a car sharing system with the use of electronic cars. You buy your pass, pick the car up, drop it off and plug it in to recharge.

Japanese toilets.   If you've used one of these you know why. 

JQLDfB8.jpg

Bia Hoi

On every corner

~25c beers / $1 jugs

Softcock. Never drank water in 3 weeks.

l don't drink the water either, and l have been there 6 times, twice this year alone. Mostly l drink shots of their excellent coffee giat, but Orangina has disappeared completely. 

Like a driver's licence?

Australia does have an id card by stealth.  It's the Medicare card.

pandas

Like a driver's licence?

Australia does have an id card by stealth.  It's the Medicare card.

99% right - Live overseas and you are ineligible for a medicare card.