This old house

Installation of cabinets started for pantry and laundry.

Walk through laundry

Pantry area

4 Likes

Cabinet doors in starting to take some shape, already looking forward to this pantry/mini kitchen.

Laundry nearly complete

Space for Washer/Dryer

Roof shot

Floor shot

The pantry/mini kitchen

Nice long/high drawers to get the stuff at the back

Fridge space

Rented houses in the time with smaller kitchens

View from the kitchen quite excited about the pantry glad I wen big and minimilised the laundry

and all the the stuff that has to finish it off

4 Likes

I can’t even begin to think how satisfying it will be for you when it’s all finished…especially knowing how much work you’ve done yourself.

You should organise some Blitz tours so we can all come and admire your handiwork. :slight_smile:

4 Likes

To take the words from Eminem “I’m sorry Mama I never meant to hurt you but tonight I am cleaning out my closet”

This was Mum’s kitchen and if you followed the thread she died back in 1998 but it was her kitchen, so I had to do something hard and well over due and clean it all out.

So much stuff I had lying in cupboards anyway;

Good bye old kitchen great times in this space many premierships .

Looking forward to changes this wall gone

and one last look at the old kitchen

3 Likes

Major progress today, can’t make an omelette unless you break some eggs so its infiltrate, destroy and then rebuild.

Walking down the Hall

I said “open up”

From the inside of the kitchen looking out towards the decking;

and back to the hallway

More random shots

All the stuff in the garage

and my kitchen for the next few weeks living the dream in the garage !

6 Likes

Just a shitload more photos, juggling plastering, sparkies, plumbers, chippies etc and coming home from work and doing what I can.

A coat of primer in the laundry I can start to see the result

Floors to be rough sanded tomorrow!!

5 Likes

It’s coming along nicely mate.

1 Like

Have all the floors sanded back to 80 grit before installation of the main kitchen, a lot easier to get this done now with big machinery. 3 garbage bags of timber taken off, pantry and laundry walls primed.

Looking in from the hallway

Hurley roaming and doing quality control

Back corner towards fireplace and pantry

And looking back at the hallway, Juno eating

another shot back towards the pantry

and from the kitchen too, through the walkthrough laundry which goes to the garage.

2 Likes

At this rate may be ready for finals football! (Wish)

Well been getting some painting done, its the bane of my life always end up with a paint brush in my hand, so undercoated/primed and two coats on.
Laundry!

Pantry

Main Kitchen

Still going to remove bricks so will have better access to the cooktop.

Looking back to the pantry

And looking in from the decking

Thats all I have at the moment filling, sanding, painting doesn’t show much reward for effort but believe me a lot of work here.

6 Likes

I know this may be testing both your time and possibly your artistic skills, but a floorplan with before and after would be great to help place what we are seeing, with where it is happening. Other than that, I do envy those of you who live on the East Coast with your brick veneer homes and timbers stud walls. Oh how easy it is to renovate, or change the layout (so long as you remain cognisant of load bearing walls. Not like over here with double brick and solid brick walls. Even just opening up a hole in the wall to allow light through is a major ■■■■■■ evolution involving way more dust than should ever be released inside one home in its lifetime.

2 Likes

I do have some floor plans and will scan at work tomorrow and upload I can show you the proposed plan though. I actually live on the North Coast of Tasmania and about 50 kms inland, the house was built in 1904 and you are right about seasoned timber wall studs which are about a foot apart. The timber is like rock you will bend many a nail banging into this stuff. the trees used for this house could/would be very very old. Lots of great timber used in the build huon pine, king billy, western red cedar.
The house thankfully was never brick veneered and has the original tas oak hardwood weatherboards. Its solid as a rock literally.
It has taken me many years to get here started around early 2000’s but that has been an up and down cycle.

4 Likes

The black goods arrived today ( hope I am not being racist here), except the dishwasher it is silver.

Big changes today and after a great Friday night of football for The Mighty Bombers things are going forward. Have the island bench installed and side bench.

The bench is so much bigger in person than what I thought but that’s a good thing.

From the cooking side obviously oven/cooktop will be just where the hearth is.

And from the punters side, plenty of room, I think I have my own bar :laughing:

The extra bench and storage, just leading into the walk in pantry

And my integrated sinks, these were expensive, but so worth it for the seamless integration to the bench top, bit like Essendon moving the ball to the forward line, poetry in motion.

Still lots to go but a few bricks removed to make cooking on the stove(do people still call it that) cooktop easier for a 6 foot person, this will all be tiled out and plastered. Removing a brick or two above to add a powerpoint so I can install a flat screen TV. Will act as picture viewer or predominantly watching Essendon kick ■■■ for years to come :smiley:

And just another couple of shots of the island bench

This one is from the door to the decking used to be a wall here, so when outside should be able to converse with the in.

3 Likes

Have some skirting boards on, architraves, part mantle piece and doors.

Dishwasher fitted ( my first ever !!)

Mantle Piece, will render the sides inside the chimney and tile the back as the chimney inverts inwards, have a bit of a hiccup as the chimney doesn’t seem to be that structurally sound at the top. It actually looks like a double chimney from the outside but the inside looking up is quite narrow. So hoping its three brick thick. Going to check it out Friday.

Reason for this is the range hood I have to go in will have the exhaust motor mounted at the top of the chimney, worst comes to worst will swap it out for an exhaust fan mounted just above the oven, don’t want bricks falling inwards eek!!

Doors back on

3 Likes

Some tiling done today and skirting boards and window architraves finished.

Starting to look like a kitchen!!

4 Likes

Great job, you must be pleased that the kitchen is coming together nicely.

The windows in the kitchen are gorgeous. :slightly_smiling_face:

Thank you, the windows are from a reno 30 years ago, but had to give them a make over a few years ago, they suit/fit well.Mum had sourced them in the early 90’s, when she did the original kitchen. They are pretty old, works well with the cabinet, will have to clean them up a bit.

1 Like

Been busy and slow progress;

3 Likes

Looking good

1 Like