Thorpedo - gay

officially. in other news, the sun has risen this morning and milk comes from cows

in all seriousness, hopefully the lifted burden helps him overcome his ongoing battle with depression and other personal demons

It's a serious problem affecting many closeted gay men and women, especially athletes. Hope he finds peace

If you need help with the Black Dog, Beyond Blue is a great place to start

Do we still have the “Ian Thorpe” poster? :stuck_out_tongue:

I’ve never liked Thorpe, I dislike swimming in general as a ‘sport’. However, if this helps him get his ■■■■ together, then, good for him. And, if this helps anyone out there that’s gay, lesbian or transgender then hopefully the publicity it will attract helps. If your friends and family don’t like you for who you are, then they’re the ones who have a problem.

Why do people assume that him hiding his sexuality has anything to do with his depression?
Also not sure why him saying he is gay is headline news?
Apart from all that it was the worst kept secret in history.

Good on him, and all the best. All we need now is for an AFL player to put up his hand. It's become a lot more accepted than it was, but until it becomes just another normal aspect of life news like this will be news. Have to move beyond that. Need more to open up, which will be good for society in general.

Why do people assume that him hiding his sexuality has anything to do with his depression?
Also not sure why him saying he is gay is headline news?
Apart from all that it was the worst kept secret in history.

Not sure it was a secret per se. He kept denying it.

Anyhow I'm looking around for a feather to be knocked down by.

Just waiting for Christopher Pyne to come out now. The biggest deniers are often the worst, and they take it out on other gays.

"He's a big poofter"

Shocked and amazed. There was simply no hint ever that this dude was gay.

I wonder what Jason Ball thinks

Shocked and amazed. There was simply no hint ever that this dude was gay.

Im in shock aswell, next thing they will tell us is Freddie Mercury was gay

It shows that society has come a long way in a short time on this issue.

When he was winning gold medals in 2000, there is no farking way he could have come out.

I’m glad he was finally comfortable enough to be able to do this, but it’s the biggest ‘oh derr’ since Fev admitted to having a drinking problem.

I couldn't care less about this topic however, if it takes the spotlight away from the Bombers for a while.......... WHAT! Thorpy is GAY ■■■!!!!

He couldn't come out in 2000 because he was 18.

Probably enough weight on his shoulders then.

I kind of feel like he should have come out earlier, that it would have been good for the country if he did. 

But again, so young.  Retired at 23.

Anyway, good for him.

I've never liked Thorpe, I dislike swimming in general as a 'sport'. However, if this helps him get his **** together, then, good for him. And, if this helps anyone out there that's gay, lesbian or transgender then hopefully the publicity it will attract helps. If your friends and family don't like you for who you are, then they're the ones who have a problem.

What is not to like about Ian Thorpe ?
Best swimmer of all time, nice guy, not a big head, was always humble in victory and took defeat well. And if you are suggesting swimming is not a sport, bah! More legitimate than most.

I've never liked Thorpe, I dislike swimming in general as a 'sport'. However, if this helps him get his **** together, then, good for him. And, if this helps anyone out there that's gay, lesbian or transgender then hopefully the publicity it will attract helps. If your friends and family don't like you for who you are, then they're the ones who have a problem.

What is not to like about Ian Thorpe ?
Best swimmer of all time, nice guy, not a big head, was always humble in victory and took defeat well. And if you are suggesting swimming is not a sport, bah! More legitimate than most.

I agree, terrific guy from the reports of all those who have met him.

I kind of feel like he should have come out earlier, that it would have been good for the country if he did. 

Anyway, good for him.

Do you mean for other gay people in the country, or the country as a whole? 

Anyway, good for him.

Both.  That's just my feeling.  I may well be wrong.

I don't doubt there would have been people criticising him for politicising his position, but I feel this would have been pretty quickly countered with 'shut your face you great ■■■■■■■■.'

Anyway, good for him.

Both.  That's just my feeling.  I may well be wrong.

I don't doubt there would have been people criticising him for politicising his position, but I feel this would have been pretty quickly countered with 'shut your face you great ■■■■■■■■.'

The way all discriminatory opinions should be countered.... 

If you mean it would have been a great thing for the country to acknowledge / discuss / deal with, especially around the time I believe you are mentioning, then yeah, I can see that. 

I wonder what Jason Ball thinks

Forget Ball, I wonder what abet thinks, I hope he doesn't feel too threatened.