Thread for Realists - the 2014/2015 “Lid On” thread

I don't really have a problem with where we are. We hit flat spots late in the season for the last 2-3 years (for different reasons) and did not recover. Here is our chance to see the team respond. If we really have improved and our young players have developed and are the real deal we will see them respond.

If not, well, at least we know.

I always like to refer back (and yes, it is a different era and team) to 98-99. In 98 we made the finals and got taught a lesson by the Kangas (we looked soft). In 99, we didn't start the best, but during that year the team turned a corner and started playing desperate footy - as though they wanted to achieve something together. Blumfield & Heff were playing as top class midfielders for the first (and as it turned out, only) times in their careers. Everyone got on board, even the second tier players and put the team first. We had talent on the list, yes, but something really clicked and the rest is history.

I'd love to hear from others whether a similar thing happened in the early 80s (I was born late 70s) - whether they noticed a time where the players showed desperation and resolve and you could tell they craved success. I know 82 saw 15 wins on the trot after a bad start. Obviously the players hurt after the 83 GF.

I'm hoping that this group want it, and want it bad because that is what is required. The Cats play for each other, the Swans have shown it and Port are growing in this area after a shocking period for them. For me the lid isn't off, but I'm hopeful.

I think we've dropped off since the ASADA stuff died down. 

What's Tania up to? 

Early season tanking less obvious than late season tanking.

Upstairs for thinking, downstairs for dancing.

Those two calls I highlighted are very face palm worthy.

FWIW, so is your "change expectations, play kids and shoot for 2015".

Ok, look........I'm trying to wallow in misery, and you're making it very difficult with your positivity, and logical measured posting........so, you know

Is it June already?

Whilst it is early in the season, 2-4 puts us fair way back in the field.

If we lose this week, that is top 4 gone for this year

Not happy with vibes coming from club. Thompson hangs it on the players (not as good as his Geelong mates). Heppell takes exception. I left early against St.Kilda. 1st time in my life and I was at the 1962 GF with my grandkids.  I'm disgusted with performance.

I'm not pessimistic yet but I am worried we're becoming downhill skiers.  Yet to beat a real contender, don't guts out wins but all over it when it's going our way. 

.... shouldn't thread be renamed "The Worry Womb"

Being you're all in the foetal position ...

i'm sure this thread is of the vegetarian variety. 

you lot are so sad and worried you didn't even get my rubbish joke.

If we win on Friday, what will become of this thread? I am worried.

Wise guy aye ?

If we win on Friday, what will become of this thread? I am worried.

LOLZ
I love this

Not happy with vibes coming from club. Thompson hangs it on the players (not as good as his Geelong mates). Heppell takes exception. I left early against St.Kilda. 1st time in my life and I was at the 1962 GF with my grandkids.  I'm disgusted with performance.

From that post, you should be the biggest optimist on the whole forum... From the above, you should at least be in your 90s. Under those circumstances, you can be forgiven for leaving the SK game early.

But what did your great-great-grandkids think of the game? EFC should keep them happy because if they inherited your longevity genes, they will be watching games in the 22nd Century.

Every single time over the last decade when we all start to think we can see that light at the end of the tunnel to get us out of these 1970s’esque doldrums… it gets taken away from us and we end up staying in the tunnel darkness.

We’re not world beaters but we shouldn’t lose to the likes of St Kilda. Such a massive step backwards from a year that promised so much but apart from a big win over Carlton has delivered so little. Very despondent with the club at the moment… whether we like it or not the ASADA cloud still hangs over us like a bad smell & some players are showing little resolve on the field.

Pies will put second nail in the ‘RIP 2014’ campaign on Friday. A couple more in the next month and it’s curtains.

Hawks were 1 - 5 and they went on to win the flag

Is this a serious post? If so, what year are you talking about because it certainly wasn't 2013.

In 1993 the bombers had just 6 points after round 5 and that year turned out ok.

Watson … overrated.

How am I doing?

Watson ... overrated.
How am I doing?

10/10 for theme embodiment ;-)

Every single time over the last decade when we all start to think we can see that light at the end of the tunnel to get us out of these 1970s'esque doldrums... it gets taken away from us and we end up staying in the tunnel darkness.
We're not world beaters but we shouldn't lose to the likes of St Kilda. Such a massive step backwards from a year that promised so much but apart from a big win over Carlton has delivered so little. Very despondent with the club at the moment... whether we like it or not the ASADA cloud still hangs over us like a bad smell & some players are showing little resolve on the field.
Pies will put second nail in the 'RIP 2014' campaign on Friday. A couple more in the next month and it's curtains.

Now that's how it's done people.

Why the hell would I want to be rational? At the start of every season I fully expect us to win the flag until that's no longer an option. I fully expect to win every game until we don't. 

Deep down I have some realistic expectations, but when the ball is bounced to start a game I'm completely of the belief we can and should win every match. Ask WOB, the amount of times we've had pre-drinks before being belted by the Eagles at Subi and yet every game before it starts we believe we can do it.

Why bother watching otherwise? Why bother turning up? Why not just cancel the season and play Hawks v Geelong v Freo in a round robin.