Thread for Realists - the 2014/2015 “Lid On” thread

I had a nap this afternoon and dreamt that we lost to St Kilda on the weekend... I woke up and laughed and laughed.  I mean, can you imagine... St Kilda?  

Hope its not another gas leak year...  

God. I’m travelling 7 hours on Friday to go watch this game and you’ve all made me depressed about it.

Fark, Goddard will be back, Winders will be back and there’s a fair chance Belly will be back too. We have the better coach and we have the better list. If you don’t think Bomber will be doing everything he can to get this group to bounce back you’re dreaming.

Our mids can match it with them, Watson will lift to the occasion and Hocking will be able to stop pendles or beams. If you keep the pressure on swan he turns over the ball 50% of the time.

Where are there goals going to come from? Hurls will be on cloke and will have players dropping back to help out, Hooker will be able to stop white the useless prick, bags will do the job on Elliot… Other than that there’s no real threats.

Ryder and bellcho will dominate the ruck division that consists of Grundy and Witts… lol. What a force…

Then I know our forward like looked useless but throw in Goddard and winders and we’ve got some class. Especially when we’ve got Carlisle lining up on jack frost. I think sometimes everyone forgets that we have both Winderlich and chapman in our forward line, the amount of goals these two can create is going to be ridiculous.

Yes, I watched how poorly we played the last 2 weeks but wipe them out of your head, the boys were fatigued. They will bounce back! This list has so much class, we all saw it in the first 3 rounds.

LID FARKEN OFF. Bomebers by 38

Hawks were 1 - 5 and they went on to win the flag

Off topic: We’re gonna win on Friday.

The Aston Villa of the AFL.

Please God no.
Surely that's Richmond.

We are not good enough to rest players. What kind of message does it send to the rest of the group about how seriously you take the opposition if you rest one of your key players.
You play your best team each week unless they are injured. Don't mess with form and personnel when you don't have to. Coaches always say that no game is more important than the next. Then show it with your team selection!

I normally agree, but in the case of Winderlich, Chapman and Fletcher they need to be rested throughout the year. Even in the early stages (I'm assuming this is what you are referring too?)

Is this a serious post?  If so, what year are you talking about because it certainly wasn't 2013.

Is this a serious post? If so, what year are you talking about because it certainly wasn't 2013.

I suspect means Sydney, perhaps 2005.

Anyway, speaking of Hawthorn, they’re probably feeling a bit “lid on” now. Every team will feel it at some point across the season. If us feeling it now means we’re flying at round 20 for a change then I’ll take that.

Amazing the difference between 3-2 and 2-3 on supporters mindsets.

You can’t judge a season on 5 rounds.

Hmm, I guess this is off topic. Apologies.

3 - 2 if fine, when the 2 losses are against the Grand Finalists, one in Perth, the other by less than a kick.

2 - 3 is not fine, when the extra loss is against a team that will be lucky to win 8 games, meaning out of the 2 wins, one is against an average team, the other against a below average team.

Unfortunately, in this case, there is a big difference between the 2.

Fark me.

Team's aspirations are low? Meaningless year?

This, to me, is already the face-palm thread.

Fark me.

And these people laugh at tanking carlton. This place is no different.

Fark me.

Wrong.
Merely picking up on the early signs that we need to re- adjust our expectations.
Certainly not a meaningless year.
A very important one looking ahead to the genuine push in 2015.
Let's work out what our forward structure will be, and get some games into guys who we see as the future.
ie. Zerrett, Kav, Ashby, maybe Dalgleish.

Fark me.

And these people laugh at tanking carlton. This place is no different.

Haha, correct.
That's why I put Worry Room in the Thread title !

3 - 2 if fine, when the 2 losses are against the Grand Finalists, one in Perth, the other by less than a kick.
2 - 3 is not fine, when the extra loss is against a team that will be lucky to win 8 games, meaning out of the 2 wins, one is against an average team, the other against a below average team.
Unfortunately, in this case, there is a big difference between the 2.

After (according to Heppell) half our team lost 4 - 5kg playing in the heat of Perth with a stomach bug you want/expect their best the following week?

Fantasy land. Even the dockers, who live and train in that environment, and had no illness issues, played like crap the following week.

These discussions post game have a bad habit of leaving out the salient points so people can ■■■■■ louder.

Fark me.

Wrong.
Merely picking up on the early signs that we need to re- adjust our expectations.
Certainly not a meaningless year.
A very important one looking ahead to the genuine push in 2015.
Let's work out what our forward structure will be, and get some games into guys who we see as the future.
ie. Zerrett, Kav, Ashby, maybe Dalgleish.

Wrong?

Fark me.

Even if you end up right, your call 5 games in is wrong.

Sorry, I should have clarified.

To call it a face palm thread is ’ Wrong '.

Those two calls I highlighted are very face palm worthy.

FWIW, so is your "change expectations, play kids and shoot for 2015".

A stomach bug went through the Dogs a few years ago as they were playing the WCE in Perth. This was a time when the Dogs were pretty competitive. Similar scenario - hot weather, weight loss etc

It took them a couple of weeks to recover and they consequently lost a few on the trot. (Excuse the pun)

I am not trying to totally excuse our poor performance on Sat night but the previous experience in Perth and the stomach bug played a part. Perhaps they also took into the game a attitude of ‘… it’s only St Kilda’.

We have these shockers every year. Makes you want to tear your hair out.

I am concerned that we are playing a style of footy that doesn't suit our list as it stands at the moment.

Slow, precise footy out of the backline suits a team that has elite kicks in their backline and gun forwards.  Last I checked we don't have those.

When I try and look at teams I try to work out what they have that everyone else doesn't.

Hawthorn for instance has eight guys who can play through the backline and deliver the ball exceptionally well.  They've also got a shitload of left footers and they have three or four guys who can kick over the zone.

Port has eight or nine blokes who can run through the middle with a great mix of pace and power - Boak, Hartlett, Gray, Wingard, Wines, Polec, Cornes, etc - and two key forwards that are deceptively good in Westhoff and Shulz.

Geelong has an unbelievable backline with eight blokes who never get beaten one on one who can also deliver the ball, a grunty midfield and some outside pace.

What do we have?

1.  We normally have two ruckmen who are good enough to play forward as well.

2.  We have Jobe Watson and a really solid group of strong bodied midfielders who aren't necessarily the most talented in the game but certainly hit hard.

3.  We have an abundance of good, key backmen, two of whom can play forward.

Things that we're middle of the road or worse in:

1.  Kicking skills

2.  Pace

3.  Marking forwards

4.  Crumbing forwards

For mine, our list as it stands at the moment is far more suited to a Sydney 2005 style than it is to a Hawks 2013 style but we seem to want to play a Hawks style.

l believe we have some very good kicks out of defence, it is the delivery of the ball into the F50 that is the main problem.