Time to consign Fremantle to the Docks - the thread

Pretty simple to explain.

We have been a mediocre team for a long time.

It’s not really a thing.

3 Likes

I can only assume you have an unbelievably short memory.

Edit: But I’m sure someone can do the legwork.
If Essendon hasn’t lost games to bottom four teams over the last decade more regularly than others, regardless of ladder position, then fine. I’ll concede it’s not a thing.

I’d do it myself, but I do have to work sometimes.

The last time we were a good side was around the 2000 period and we rarely lost let alone to rubish sides.

Since then we have been an ok side at times or treading water.

Those sides can win games against good opposition and also lose to ■■■■ sides.

1 Like

I understand your point. Mediocre sides lose sometimes.
I’m saying Essendon is…significantly outside the norm.

Our issue has always been that teams just like to beat us.

Sides like Carlton or Melbourne hate us and no matter how ■■■■ they are they apply themselves far more than they usually would.

It’s the problem with being a big club playing in front of big crowds every week with high media exposure.

1 Like

So you’re saying it is a thing?
Because that’s not going away.

@theDJR did this work a few years ago, I think.
He may still have the data.

1 Like

Is there anything he can’t do?

enjoy hot chips

2 Likes

No.

Also - a bit shaky on the memory here - the point of the excerise was the whole ‘essington’ thing. And it was a myth. But I may be wrong. Calling @theDJR

I think once we are a good side again it will go away.

I’m hoping it starts this year.

“Negative Ghostrider, the pattern is full”

6 Likes

Lol

If so, then as I said, I’ll retract.
But I’d be interested in how he came to that, because I’m not talking about just losing to teams beneath them on the ladder.
I’m talking about losing to the worst of teams.
Every year.
There would be very different ways of looking at it.

Perception is a funny thing - from both sides. Really hard to filter this kind of stuff out from emotion and frustration. My view is, it’s a bit like when you hit your thumb with a hammer, and from then on, for the next week, you seem to hit your thumb against every farkin thing you get near to - far more than usual. When in fact, it’s just that your thumb hurts, and you’re sensitive to it.

1 Like

I understand what you’re saying, but I really don’t think that’s the case.
And if it turns out it’s not an ongoing thing, then fine.
But it’s a recent thing, because we lost to two of the bottom three teams last year.
I’d like to know how many teams managed that, for a start.

That’s a small sample. And here’s one of the issues - recent games would mean a small sample, games over a long period of time would mean the players & staff have turned over and everything is different.

Think about Occam’s Razor for a sec. For this to be ‘a thing’, as you put it, there would have to be a number of rather strange variables to be true. Really weird ones. I can’t accept the coincidences that would take. It only seems likely and simple when scanned on the surface - ‘we play bad against bad teams because we don’t try hard enough’. Truth is - it is such a complex set of things that it belies logic (in my mind). A bit like religion. Ooops…

It is.
I don’t know if you want to look at 2015/16.
Considering we finished last and 15th their probably not ideal.

but it would it interest you to know t 2014 we lost to two of the bottom three teams?

In itself, that doesn’t mean much.
Tell you what. Can you define in a short sentence, exactly what this ‘thing’ is? Then we might be able to pick it apart.

1 Like

I’ve just shown you that the last two times we played finals, we lost to two of the three bottom teams.
Now, that’s as far as I’ve been able to go back while I’m at work.
But if any other team in the league could claim even that, then I would be surprised.