Time to sit the affected boys out

That idea is loco.

Don’t force them to sit out, but I’m not against giving them the option. Dress it up as an injury, or form slump, or just trying something different at the selection table.

I don’t think it should be mandatory (nor do I think the OP was suggesting that)… but the time has come to actually look at the guys affected and give them some clear options.

There appear to be some that have been able to keep performing despite the bounce effect (as previous poster mentioned about SF training - which is accurate) and that is great for them, but others are clearly struggling.

This isn’t about punishment, it isn’t fair and it isn’t right but that is all outside the clubs control. What the club can control is how much more you ask the players to do.

Call it training, call it special leave… I don’t particularly care… go in a group or go alone… whatever they want. My personal opinion is that a guy like Jobe is cooked. There is nothing to served by forcing him out on that field every week. Let him step away, let him regather his thoughts, let him be still and then have a chat with him when he is ready. Same with anyone else in the same boat.

And yep the kids might be killed… but can’t be much worse than being beaten by St Kilda by 110pts… at least we will know where we stand.

Should be offered to anybody that wants it.

There is more to life than footy.

And how do you know it hasn’t already been?

Don't force them to sit out, but I'm not against giving them the option. Dress it up as an injury, or form slump, or just trying something different at the selection table.

This. Give them the option to sit out if they feel they either need a break or cant perform at their best.

If they choose to play and continue to serve up the current rubbish- the saga shouldnt be used as an excuse

If they choose to sit out, they still get paid what they normally would

Where it may be true that the players who have been named as being involved in the saga have been affected mentally it is also most likely that those players who came to the club after the saga would be equally affected. I’m no psychologist but in the footy environment the state of mind of your leaders is “infectious” I would have thought.

I have experience with a close relative who was struck down with severe depression without any obvious danger signs. The outcome was sudden and disastrous. I hope the club is being vigilant.

I wonder what the AFL would do if the club presented a medical diagnosis certificate that stated that the players were suffering from a stress related depression brought on by the saga and recommended an indefinite break from the game to avoid a more serious scenario?

Any thoughts?

This idea is acting like the players never speak to the coaches or club psychs. Should someone wish for a break they would have every opportunity to request one. Should they choose not to and take a depleted soul onto the field week after week, well not performing raises conversations and we reach the same point anyway.

Don't force them to sit out, but I'm not against giving them the option. Dress it up as an injury, or form slump, or just trying something different at the selection table.

This. Give them the option to sit out if they feel they either need a break or cant perform at their best.

If they choose to play and continue to serve up the current rubbish- the saga shouldnt be used as an excuse

What about match payments and bonuses? This is something we need to do with the AFL because if we are paying say 30 - 35 match payments instead of the usual 22 we may be in trouble with the salary cap.

Imagine turning up for work for 2+ years not knowing when the hammer is gonna fall and you might be suspended (through no fault of your own) from that job. A job you love and you’ve dedicated your life to doing.

Then imagine you’re finally told you’re in the clear, only weeks later to be dragged back in. And that it will possibly take another 6+ months of doubt before you get a decision.

What sort of mental state would you be in?

What about match payments and bonuses? This is something we need to do with the AFL because if we are paying say 30 - 35 match payments instead of the usual 22 we may be in trouble with the salary cap.

Good point i actually forgot about bonuses etc. Just let the afl know whats going on, and demand they let us do it. We will be playing a bunch of kids so other clubs shouldnt worry about us being too strong on the field

They are paid top dollar to play footy. Jeez, you would think they are returning from a deployment in Afghanistan the way some of you carry on.

Just because you don’t get sent to a war zone doesn’t mean that depression and other mental health issues aren’t real. Australia has one of the highest suicide rates amongst young men in the world. Its about time we took mental health issues seriously, being well paid footballers doesn’t make them immune.

Well that’s not correct we don;t have one of the highest suicide rates in the world, we wouldn’t even be top 20. I do agree mental health is a serious issue though. My thought is that they would know the wada case isn’t being heard till the end of the season and has no impact on this season regardless and that it’s more likely than not that they will be cleared due to the previous success in the asada case. I also think most of the stress would have come from the media attention and fan sledging that would of come in the previous seasons, now the fans and media have fatigue over the story so that coverage isn’t close to what it was years ago when we were still playing solid patches of footy.

Obviously there is a fatigue that’s set in from it still being around, but i think its minimal, maybe 10%, i think it’s more so the realisation (like carlton) that this aging group with this coach will not win a premiership and will not play finals this year and they are struggling for any motivation. I think they have lost faith that under this current system/coaching team that they will ever be a real challenger, that’s where the real depression sets in and the wada issue then becomes amplified.

Given that most coaches are in agreement that a team and its players only need to be 1-2% off their game on any match day and the team will be non-competitive, then 10% is highly significant.

While very similar in end result, Depression and PTSD are completely different things. You don’t ‘get depression’ over something, it doesn’t work like that.

You can though, suffer from PTSD after being exposed to highly intense situations over a period of time.

Much like mental illness in general, you can’t just throw a blanket over everybody and have ‘one solution.’ Each player will be dealing / suffering with this in different ways. Any guys with pre existing depression issues would REALLY be struggling.

I think the club will - internally and quietly - start giving some guys a break away from footy, under the guise of an injury or surgery. But we don’t need to have a big, public ‘We’re resting all the WADA guys for the rest of the year.’

They are paid top dollar to play footy. Jeez, you would think they are returning from a deployment in Afghanistan the way some of you carry on.

Just because you don’t get sent to a war zone doesn’t mean that depression and other mental health issues aren’t real. Australia has one of the highest suicide rates amongst young men in the world. Its about time we took mental health issues seriously, being well paid footballers doesn’t make them immune.

Well that’s not correct we don;t have one of the highest suicide rates in the world, we wouldn’t even be top 20. I do agree mental health is a serious issue though. My thought is that they would know the wada case isn’t being heard till the end of the season and has no impact on this season regardless and that it’s more likely than not that they will be cleared due to the previous success in the asada case. I also think most of the stress would have come from the media attention and fan sledging that would of come in the previous seasons, now the fans and media have fatigue over the story so that coverage isn’t close to what it was years ago when we were still playing solid patches of footy.

Obviously there is a fatigue that’s set in from it still being around, but i think its minimal, maybe 10%, i think it’s more so the realisation (like carlton) that this aging group with this coach will not win a premiership and will not play finals this year and they are struggling for any motivation. I think they have lost faith that under this current system/coaching team that they will ever be a real challenger, that’s where the real depression sets in and the wada issue then becomes amplified.

Probably one of the most accurate posts I have read on this situation - the last paragraph. Hits the nail on the head for mine - exactly the way I read what’s happening. Skill/will - you dont go from leading Hawthorn at half time the week before and losing to the Saints by over 100pts the week after on skill…

I reckon a huge reason why Jobe and a few others are soldiering on is that they don’t want to be perceived as ditching the boys.

Whilst I’m sure the rest of the team would be understanding, as a leader, Jobe would feel like that is the case.

I think the club will - internally and quietly - start giving some guys a break away from footy, under the guise of an injury or surgery. But we don't need to have a big, public 'We're resting all the WADA guys for the rest of the year.'
Unless they wanted to keep it private, isn't this disingenuous? I'm no mental health expert but isn't pretending like it's something else, hiding or covering it up a problem?
I think the club will - internally and quietly - start giving some guys a break away from footy, under the guise of an injury or surgery. But we don't need to have a big, public 'We're resting all the WADA guys for the rest of the year.'
Unless they wanted to keep it private, isn't this disingenuous? I'm no mental health expert but isn't pretending like it's something else, hiding or covering it up a problem?

If the general public and the media could be expected to handle it with the respect it deserves, then yeah.

They won’t though.

I honestly couldn’t think of anything more counterproductive and quite frankly, debilitating, as having your mental health discussed and dissected publicly, especially by morons. For that, I think Mitch Clark is somewhat of a hero to all sufferers of mental illness.

Probably if one player did and it was public, then the media would probably ask questions about every player not playing.

I didn’t realise there were so many qualified Psychiatrists and Psychologists on Blitz.

If the general public and the media could be expected to handle it with the respect it deserves, then yeah.

They won’t though.

I honestly couldn’t think of anything more counterproductive and quite frankly, debilitating, as having your mental health discussed and dissected publicly, especially by morons. For that, I think Mitch Clark is somewhat of a hero to all sufferers of mental illness.

It’s Mitch Clark I was thinking of. He’s been somewhat celebrated for being open. It might be the first bit of respect the players could get.

They won’t though.

It’s Mitch Clark I was thinking of. He’s been somewhat celebrated for being open. It might be the first bit of respect the players could get.

He’s copped a lot of sh*t too.

I dunno, there is still a general feeling of no sympathy for our players from much of the public, and I’m not sure it would turn around so quick.

It would obviously be up to the individual players themselves, I’m just saying if it was done on the DL, that would be pretty understandable.