Time Trial 2km

I read Stanton’s interview on his view of the younger guys coming through and pushing the senior guys including himself on their endurance/fitness levels, for potential senior spots.

After looking at the top 5, I noticed that all of those players don’t play a contested style game of football very well and need a lot of improvement in this area, some in speed and skills but all in their contested game, which what is required in todays football and what we as a club were poor in last year. Fitness and Endurance a very important areas but I think Stanton has miss a point in his views as todays game is not just about endurance, and running albeit important, but believe given the pace of the game today, contested footy, skills, decision making are more so important, then I would place speed in front of endurance, but the first 3 not necessarily in that order.

I don’t see how their endurance will place pressure on younger nor senior players cause their 2km time trials were good unless they show improvements in the areas mentioned above.

What are your thoughts?

A reply to: @Zebba regarding QuoteLink

Just FTR, I was taking the ■■■■ out of all the people who bagged Ambrose after the GF sprint...

Good. The amount of times Ive had to point out that coming last in a final when you’ve already qualified in a heat isn’t a disgrace…

There were 9 blokes who got knocked out in the qualifying stage.

It looks like there’s another 2km time trial vid up on the website, have they already done another one?

A reply to: @Eastie_Boi regarding QuoteLink

Given the amount of running with the ball is about 0.01% I'm not sure too much time and consideration needs to be given to it lol

Yeh true, but what runs do you remember ? What excites everyone? Did Longie have the ball? Was he a target because he had the ball? Magic. But the part that I love is Silvagnis reaction.

Just FTR, I was taking the ■■■■ out of all the people who bagged Ambrose after the GF sprint…

Given the amount of running with the ball is about 0.01% I’m not sure too much time and consideration needs to be given to it lol

A reply to: @Henry’s Angry Pills regarding QuoteLink

A reply to: @Benny40 regarding QuoteLink
Ambrose is regarded as the best athlete in the club. He's super fit and very strong, which is a tough combination to achieve. The only way you achieve that is to be insanely committed to be the best. For someone with that mind set to be effectively humiliated in front of the nation would burn away at him. He mentioned in his interview that this twitch pace is a big focus. I wouldn't be surprised if he has made a big improvement on this by round 1.

Gollnik says

“…muscle fibers do not exist in three discrete forms at the subcellular level, but rather in a continuum based on the multitude of combinations of myosin heavy and light chain isoforms, polymorphic expression of protein isoforms, metabolic potential, and Ca2+ handling characteristics. Moreover, it is clear that all of these cellular characteristics exhibit some degree of plasticity in response to exercise training…”

Translated : You cannot turn Usain Bolt into Haile Gebrselassie or vice-versa with any amount of training.

But Ambrose might make some improvement in acceleration and speed. It will help him play better footy. Lets see how he goes in 2015.

Erm. Actually the bolded translates as "you can make a difference with training"

Often I find reading helps me translate things.

Yep. Eastie Boi makes the point about improving running style . Its a facinating subject. Theres a lot on you tube. But given the fact they may have to hold a footy the role of the arms is reduced. Try sprinting without moving your arms. It really cramps your style

eg. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Oy3RWqqlMTg

Ambrose built his phisique outside the afl system, so he may have neglected pace and focused on stamina. Now there’s an expert team around him to design his training program and address his weaknesses. He’ll never be Dalgliesh quick, but I cannot imagine there being absolutely zero room for improvement.

Ambrose is regarded as the best athlete in the club. He's super fit and very strong, which is a tough combination to achieve. The only way you achieve that is to be insanely committed to be the best. For someone with that mind set to be effectively humiliated in front of the nation would burn away at him. He mentioned in his interview that this twitch pace is a big focus. I wouldn't be surprised if he has made a big improvement on this by round 1.

Gollnik says

“…muscle fibers do not exist in three discrete forms at the subcellular level, but rather in a continuum based on the multitude of combinations of myosin heavy and light chain isoforms, polymorphic expression of protein isoforms, metabolic potential, and Ca2+ handling characteristics. Moreover, it is clear that all of these cellular characteristics exhibit some degree of plasticity in response to exercise training…”

Translated : You cannot turn Usain Bolt into Haile Gebrselassie or vice-versa with any amount of training.

But Ambrose might make some improvement in acceleration and speed. It will help him play better footy. Lets see how he goes in 2015.

Erm. Actually the bolded translates as "you can make a difference with training"

Often I find reading helps me translate things.

I hope Hirdy springs another 2km’s time trial within a fortnight on the boys, by running laps around the oval

Quoted Post

Gollnik says

He shouldn’t focus on speed, just improving his skills.

Endurance allows you to go that little bit harder later in a game…

Endurance lets you get to more contests

Endurance lets you stay in the contest for longer (think 4th qtr fade outs in 2014)

Endurance is a key pillar for any position on the ground.

LOL

I think you’ll find that the reason we dropped in contested possessions last season (if we even did?) was mostly due to Jobe missing something like 8 weeks in the middle of the year.

Contested ball winning is actually something that we are quite good at and is one of the stronger parts of our game.

The ladies like endurance, young gwashoppah.
Endurance first, speed later.

How good is your decision making when you’re tired?

How strong do you feel when you’re tired?

Ergo - the fitter you are (endurance) and the longer it takes you to tire - the longer you will make better decisions for, and the harder you will be to bump off the ball.

Those are my thoughts.

I hear points being made about endurance later, gets you to the contest.

You may have missed my point perhaps like Stanton, if you don’t go in hard at the start and crunch some bodies you won’t do it later with endurance either.

Running, soft football is not todays game.

Black Kav.

We were ranked bottom 4 for contested possession last year.

Remember when “spread” was important?

That killed the ones who couldn’t back up for repeated action. What we label lazy is often just a reflection of their (in)ability to go again and again.

Play a forum footy game (where the disparities are greater) and this becomes very obvious.