Tom Rockliff

Now can you list pure inside midfielders and those who actually were a realistic chance to come to us, not just your wish list of random player movements.

Only way we get Luke Ball is by taking him over Heppell - no thanks - and even then, he refused to talk to other clubs, so we’re running a risk.
Only way we get Judd is tanking 2000.
We tried with Burgoyne and failed, he wanted to win flags and we weren’t anywhere near that point.
Only way we get Dangerfield is moving the club 150km south west.
Dal santo never moved until he was way past serious midfield time. Ditto Vince. OMeara knocked us back.
Thompson went home to Adelaide, to get him we have to move 800km?? West.
Tyson went for pick 2, we had pick 26 - and only got that through trading.
Polec is as much a midfielder as I am a ruckman.
Griffen outright told the Dogs to get him to GWS, no doubt for the monipoly money, he cost them Tom Boyd even when packaged with pick 6, for us to et him costs us Joe Daniher plus plenty more, since we only had pick 17.
Beams went back to QLD cos his dad had cancer
Ebert went to Port because he’s an Ebert.
Ward took the Monopoly money as did Scully and GAJ.

We could’ve probably had Mitchell (who I don’t rate at all) and we probably could’ve had Prestia. That’s about all I think we were really in the race for.

90% fantasy, this list.

6 Likes

All of those blokes ruled us out - thats the problem! We in spite of needing those blokes more than any other side simply haven’t been able to get anyone like that via trading.

Now, can you please point out exactly which of those players are ruckmen, which are forwards & which are backs in your opinion. Burgoyne no doubt rotated off the halfback line at Hawthorn but was very much a midfielder when traded, the rest are mids. Polec plays mostly off the wing (which is still midfield) the rest are 9/10 games opening bounce on the ball.

I’m really interested in your assessment here because I think it will go a long way to explaining why I find your opinions so perplexing. Maybe you have some form of midfield dyslexia.

[quote=“IceTemple, post:81, topic:10597, full:true”]

Now can you list pure inside midfielders and those who actually were a realistic chance to come to us, not just your wish list of random player movements.
[/quote]CADDY

So? The club did what you wanted and it didn’t happen??

Maybe that suggests it’s not as easy as your fantasy world?

1 Like

No, you are the one who seems to be lacking focus in your discussion. I asked for pure inside midfielders that we missed out on because we didn’t try hard enough to get them. You listed some HBF’s and some wing players and only a couple of inside mids. You also listed a bunch of people who were never coming to our club at any stage no matter how hard we tried to get them.

As I said it was a random list of moving players, not a genuine “we missed an opportunity there” list.

1 Like

lol

Can you 1st qualify how many times you would like to move the goalposts? You asked for gun mids who were available, go back read your post realise you said nothing about inside outside. I gave you a list of gun mids who have changed clubs, this indicates they were available. The fact that we have been unable to get trades done doesn’t mean they were not available it means we are very poor at getting trades done. In theory every player is available its simply a matter of price, we have been unwilling to pay the price to trade in guns mids hence why we’ve had a shortage of …you guessed it, gun mids.

2 Likes

What a load of rot. Let me make this simple for you: THEY WERE NOT AVAILABLE TO US AT ANY STAGE, WE DID NOT MISS OUT ON GETTING THEM. Add to that, they are not all mids at all.

Exactly.
Except we’ve gotten more player trades done in the last few years than just about anyone.
Which just proves you’re naught but a big whjnger but we all knew that anyway.

2 Likes

Lol, are you incapable of reading your own posts? You didn’t ask for inside mids, you asked for gun mids who were available. My list clearly highlights gun mids who have been open to moving clubs therefore available. The point is that other clubs have been able to get gun mids to them, we have not, this is a failing, this has been a factor in our continuing to have a poor midfield. People every year give the excuse “oh he was never going to come to us” but like I said its time the club made things happen.

For real though, if Dal Santo counts then Cooney and Kelly count.

2 Likes

Oh I see the whole “do something, do anything dammit” post. Yes you are absolutely right.

The fact we traded for players doesn’t count, especially since those players are now part of the backends that are doing very, very well. They are not mids so it doesn’t count.

Now we just need to do something, anything, dammit because our other doing things doesn’t count.

Are you seriously going to count the fact that we’ve been raided of players like Paddy, Carlise, Crameri, Melksham & Pig as some deluded evidence that we are somehow not poor at trading? I’ll give you a clue, we’ve only traded in 1 single solitary player from the last 15 years who has played 100 games for the club. We currently have only 2 players on our list who have been traded for & only 1 of them was as a result of a trade we initiated. I’ll go out on a limb here & suggest just off the top of my head that we have less traded in players right now than any other club. You might not think thats a problem, there’s no right or wrong amount of traded players needed but your assertion that we have been active traders in nonsense, we’ve been forced to & at times bent over the trade table.

1 Like

Heads… meet Wall.

2 Likes

Oh I see its the do nothing & it will all just fix itself mentality then is it?

Which “backends” are you talking about, the only players we have traded into the club are Bird who was steak knives & Stewart. I am never going to view having our established players poached as a positive when assessing our trading record. Hopefully Francis becomes twice the player Carlisle is but its still not ideal to develop a KP to near top level only to have him leave. Again being forced to the trade table is not the same as actively assessing weaknesses & addressing those weaknesses through trading.

We had a period of time that was clear rebuilding and pushing out of older players. And an untried coach who was not enamouring himself with the group. Stars are not going to come to you then.

We ended up getting Prismall and Mark Williams in during this time which was diabolical.

Then Hird/Thompson era began which saw us get Goddard the best free agent whose been a star.

Thereafter what player in their right mind was going to come to us. And even those who wanted to saw us unable to give anything to satisfy their club due to draft penalties. Taylor Adams being one such.

2017 was going to be a complete unknown how we might bounce back so no stars were coming our way although I think Lachie Neale was close to.

We had Stewart select us over the Blues, although Marchbank chose Blues over us, and I expect Green chose us as well as his destination as a delisted FA. OMeara chose the Hawks thank fk.

This trading period will be the first that we will be free of saga bullshit. It’s obvious we on right track and we are cashed up. I’m confident we will attract a bigger name or two end of this season.

Rockliff would be ideal to replace Watson and cost nothing as a free agent.

5 Likes

Cooney does count, he was absolutely a short term attempt to address our midfield weakness. The fact that he was nearly 30 & had injury issues shows how desperate we were & still are. Kelly was a delisted top up player so not really an example of a trade.

Yeah, but Dal Santo was a FA not a trade, and was older than Cooney when he moved clubs.

Edit: which I know isn’t your overall point, and I’m nitpicking.

1 Like

Kelly counts for ■■■■. We talked him out of retirement with the help of the AFL as a result of the saga. I see the Cooney comparison but Kelly?

1 Like