Tom Rockliff

Saw that too late mate, sorry to steal your thunder.

Much prefer him to JJ

Just get both

This isnā€™t an impossible get.

Brisbane are not going to be on top of the pile anytime soon.

Rocky is not the ideal person to be building a club around and teaching the kids.

If he goes for a decent contract theyā€™ll get a first round pick compensation to help rebuild the club.

Rocky gets to play for with us for flags. All he has to do is keep his life under some semblance of control for 4-5 years.

He is averaging 9.5 clearances a gameā€¦ imagine how we could make use of that skill.

1 Like

Spot on. Itā€™s almost in Brisbaneā€™s interest to let him be picked up for first round compo value as it will be pick #2.

Hopefully weā€™ve already been in his & Brisbaneā€™s ear to sell that very positive point. Front end his contract to ensure it gets the maximum compo & he looks after his old club very well. Iā€™m not sure if they would like the optics of it (so many talented players have left them) but pragmatically its a very good scenario for them to release him as a free agent, get pick 1 & 2 & start to stockpile talent like GWS has. It has to be their best shot at a future outside the bottom few.

We may also have some guys with excellent character that may like to continue their footy career up in Brisbane.

While not required for the Free Agency move, it could all roll into the arrangement between clubs.

Doesnā€™t work like that

1 Like

Rockliff had the highest average clearance per game currently at 8.6. Will be a handy ready made replacement for Jobe and will cost us nothing but cash.
Iā€™m hoping we make a real effort to signing him in the off season as we are genuine contenders at the moment and will be for the next few years with hooker and Hurley in their prime.

7 Likes

Bring.him.in.

Get him

I feel like one of the ā€˜insidersā€™ put the kibosh on this several weeks back?

Damn those ā€˜insidersā€™. They seem to only give you the bad news. The kibosh as you say.

What are we doing insiders? Surely we have something brewing this year. A midfielder surely.

Iā€™m not sure if we are genuine contenders at the moment, I think we still have some building to go. However we relied on Jobe basically alone for far too long and now that he starts to slow down it is clear we donā€™t have a replacement ready.

I donā€™t know if the club is interested but Iā€™d make a serious play for him as he probably has 4 elite years left and in that time we can hopefully develop/draft/recruit couple of young inside players.

4 Likes

We arenā€™t, and the lack of high quality contested ball winning inside mids is a significant factor.

The 4 years or so that he has in him is exactly what we need for this group right now.

This scenario is unfortunately where the clubā€™s ā€˜draft and developā€™ mantra gets exposed.

The rest of the side has developed quicker than expected and is now being held back because our midfield hasnā€™t had the same levels of improvement and bar some sort of trading/drafting miracle, we could potential be worse off in the middle at the beginning of the 2018 season than we are right now.

When gun players are available, you take them.

2 Likes

That is the key though, you can only take them if they are available. Name one gun midfielder we have had available to take?

We could have got Rockliff last year

1 Like

Spot on.

Our list is definitely in the ā€œtop upā€ zone right now. Weā€™ve the draft hard the past two seasons, but plenty of those picks are going to take another 2 or 3 years to pay dividends. We owe it to our older starts (Hurley, Hooker) and our young brigade to bring a few supporting players to help us make a top 4 push.

Rockliffe is shopping list item #1, but I really hope we are creative.

A different need, but Shane Savage is someone I really hope we look at. Every time I watched him last year he was fantastic off the HBF for the Saints, and the AFL Player ratings agreed (#5 for his position at his peak last year), but he has fallen massively out of favour and only played 4 games this year. Out of contract to boot.

Do you mean other than Judd, Dangerfield, Ward, Thompson, Dal Santo, Ball, Prestia, Kennedy, Burgoyne, Ebert, Vince, Tyson, Polec, Beams, Griffin, Treloar, Mitchel & Omeara :wink:

I think weā€™ve probably had enough years of just accepting what looks like it canā€™t be done & its time the club started making things happen. Top mids have changed clubs year after year & its becoming more & more common. We can either continue to hope we get lucky with another Zerrett some time in the next decade of drafts or actively look to control our destiny. You can add to the above list guys like Rockliff & Martin who stayed at their clubs but from all reports were open to other offers.

1 Like

Other than the fact about half of those blokes ruled us out and the other half arenā€™t midfielders, this is a really good post

2 Likes