Tom Sheridan

What if we used the cap space it allowed us on a player like Shiel?

3 Likes

Goddard was so we could afford Sheil.

Putting Bags on the rookie list for Sheridan on the other hand…

I’d be open to the idea. I don’t care what anyone says, quality depth wins you flags. We have no quality depth on the wings.

1 Like

I wonder if they had discussions with Goddard about playing on far less coin and spending most of the year in the VFL. I reckon Goddard would have been happy to do that and try and fight his way into the team at some point knowing there was a good chance of this team playing finals

1 Like

So we want players that can’t make the Freo team?

5 Likes

Someone like Sheridan would be brought in as a rookie. Goddard was shot to pieces.

3 Likes

Ross Lyons reputation in developing young talent has never been strong. Kid has shown enough to suggest that in a solid culture he could flourish.

2 Likes

Would prefer to develop a young kid rather than have a mature age player come in and be on the fringe.

He’s only 24

Not sure why people are calling Sheridan a ‘young kid’. He’s 25.

1 Like

And we’re doing that.
Mutch, Clarke, Draper, Houlahan, Mynott, Zerk-Thatcher, and to a lesser extent Redman, Ridley and Begley.
And Lavender.
Plus whoever we take at #34.
Plus, presumably, Fletcher or someone like that.

That’s twelve players out of fortyish that have played less than ten AFL games and at least half of them won’t break that this year.

If you want it to be one more, then okay.
But I don’t see it is a desperate need with our 60’s pick.

3 Likes

I don’t see the point of bringing in someone at that age that is not best 22 unless they have potential to develop into a very specific role.

If it were somebody with upside but wasn’t given opportunity due to injury or something then fair enough but at 24 he is likely close to his ceiling already.

1 Like

I’d prefer to put time into Ridley and Redman to build their endurance base so they can play that role. Sheridan is a good player and another casualty of Ross Lyons playing style, but think we can do better.

1 Like

Plays an outside winger role with the ability to get up and down the ground as well as anyone in the AFL. At Fremantle he was the best runner. Combine that with his ability to play, and do so in a system not known for developing young talent and you’ve got someone worth looking at imo.

1 Like

He hates Ross Lyon and Ross hates him. He’s no superstar but he’s okay imo.

A bit of something interesting, I received a screenshot after one of their games here between a conversation between my mate and Tom. It basically went along the lines of my mate saying you looked so interested in what Ross had to say to you on the bench and Tom literally replied with “I hate that cnt hey” it was then a bit of back and forth and apparently Ross thinks he’s soft and doesn’t go hard enough at the contest

6 Likes

I was thinking along the same lines. Surely Goddard would have seen 1 more year on a base level contract plus match payments as a better option than retirement. Add to that surely we could see that he was clearly still best 22 & we didn’t actually have anyone seriously challenging his spot. I assumed he would make the call on retirement not the club delist a guy who was top 10 in the B&F. Maybe he was & still is hopeful of a spot elsewhere but it just doesn’t seem right to discard a talent like him assuming we can replace him.

Like Brown or McNernan or Dea??

Goddard was finished last year. He was struggling to pick it up off the deck and often caught or nearly caught disposing under significant pressure. AFL is brutal and this was the right decision. In 2019, Goddard becomes a liability.

4 Likes

You think that our current circumstances are the same now as they were when we got those players?

Edit: In all likely hood Sheridan would have been offered up as a direct swap for colyer so we may have no interest anyway.

4 Likes

Agreed. And if we did want him now can’t see us using ND pick on him. Would delist extra player so 4 list spots and take him as a DFA.

1 Like