Top 10 Midnight Oil Songs, and/or your Oils Compilation CD

Was that Goat Island where that guy jumped up on stage and had a dance off with Garrett ?

Was that Goat Island where that guy jumped up on stage and had a dance off with Garrett ?
Yep, I'll find it tonight !

Edit…
I’m pretty sure the guy you are talking about comes on the stage at the 2min mark, though there is another guy on stage at the start for a short while.

If you’re gunna listen to this whole song, FFS play it LOUD !

Wow farking Wow, thats how live music is done.

Thanks for posting bltn.

1. US Forces 2. One Country 3. My Country 4. Scream In Blue 5. Jimmy Sharman's Boxers 6. Hercules
  1. Dreamworld (live)

2. Redneck Wonderland

3. Short Memory

4. Best of Both Worlds

5. Dead Heart

6. I Don’t Wanna Be The One (live)

7. Back On The Borderline

8. Read About It

9. Truganini

10. Outbreak Of Love

11. Power and the Passion

12. Beds Are Burning

13. Who Can Stand In The Way

14. Maralinga

15. Kosciusko

16. Armistice Day

Edit: I would buy the ■■■■ out of that album, just on principle.

Made the playlist, complete with vinyl needle pick-up sound effect breaks.
Early observations, A1 is waaaaaaay too long.
Hercules is a track 1, not a track 6.
A2 kicks. Farking. ■■■■. Start to finish. You’d think Short Memory and Dead Heart might be a bit…too down-tempo, but hell no.

Armistice Day is a weird song, and I don’t know where to put it. Not rapt with B2 6, but not sure anywhere else is better.

Tried to squeeze BSM after Truganini because blues harp, but no.
Only reinforced that the BSM album was an over-polished piece of garbage. Dreamworld only works, and it does, because it’s live.

And A2 and B1 should be A1 and A2.
And I think I need a fifth side, but how that works with BSM, Hercules and maybe Armistace Day I do not know.

Are you guys enjoying this?

I’m so confused!

Your enthusiasm is infectious, Wim. I’m gonna sit down and listen to albums in full over the next few days to try and sequence an Oils comp. However, I only get into the period from Place Without A Postcard to Diesel And Dust, so it’ll be a 1981-87 one vinyl LP creation.

I like the idea of the vinyl pick up sound effect between songs.
Did you really use it Wim ?
If so, where did you get the sound effect from ?

I only use ITunes to make my compilations, so I guess import the sound effect as a song, then use it between all the songs ?
I just answered my own question didn’t I ?

Anyhow, I’m gonna make a LIVE Oils Compilation disk, and it’s going to kick ■■■■ big time!

Yeah, I found it on Spotify.
A few to choose from on a sound effects album.
Dunno if that makes me hipster or just weird.

I'm pretty sure the guy you are talking about comes on the stage at the 2min mark, though there is another guy on stage at the start for a short while.
The DWCV committee calls that guy Victor… though our mate Victor claims it isn’t him.

And El Presidente was 6’4” and brilliant at “arm-dancing”.

Music evokes many memories and moments. I remember driving (being driven) back from Phillip Island at night on a ■■■■■■ busy road at 150kph in a crapbox Hyundai Excel. On came “my life is a valuable thing; I want to keep it that way”… we took the advice (as you know that we can’t see in the dark).

Listening to my A and B albums in order:

1 Powderworks
2 Section 5 (Bus To Bondi)
3 Wedding Cake Island
4 Armistice Day
5 Short Memory
6 Bells And Horns in the Back of Beyond
7 Progress

The difference between the first 6 and the last 7 is extremely marked. The “solid wall of sound” production kicks in with Progress — it’s a really harsh jump after that first 24 minutes. One Country is perhaps the only one here to strike the balance between the early wandering songs and the later smoother ones.

8 The Dead Heart
9 One Country
10 Truganini
11 Surf’s Up Tonight
12 Redneck Wonderland

I remain indecisive on Redneck Wonderland’s status: is it an earnest return to 70’s quasi-punk, or merely a pastiche?

13 Under The Overpass

For a surprisingly “soft” album, I’m very happy with how it closes. I bag the softcock era, but I can crank this up massively and really enjoy the just-under-the-covers screams of pain. And the last fifteen seconds are a perfect ending to an album.

The overall style of this album would be almost entirely unrecognisable to most non-Oils fans. Surprised me, and I know my tastes. Funny how picking one song from each album produces that.

The B-side album is much more “traditional” in-your-face stuff, especially the hurricane that is tracks 5 to 8… <i class="Italic”>Best of Both Worlds not being followed by Sleep is just WRONG, though.

1 Place without a Postcard
2 Back on the Borderline
3 No Time for Games
4 Basement Flat
5 Power & The Passion
6 Best of Both Worlds
7 Hercules
8 Put Down That Weapon
9 Stars of Warburton
10 Outbreak of Love
11 My god, that album sucked. Let’s be honest, the last four have a lot of forgettable stuff.
12 Cemetery In My Mind
13 Capricornia

Yeah, I found it on Spotify. A few to choose from on a sound effects album. Dunno if that makes me hipster or just weird.

There’s a difference?

( i qualify for both. I use new cameras designed to look old. No idea why. Amongst other things)

Armistice Day is a weird song, and I don't know where to put it. Not rapt with B2 6, but not sure anywhere else is better.

Only reinforced that the BSM album was an over-polished piece of garbage. Dreamworld only works, and it does, because it’s live.

And I think I need a fifth side, but how that works with BSM, Hercules and maybe Armistace Day I do not know.

Hell yes.

I used to make mixed tapes all the time. Great fun. (Even working out the song lengths and which needed to be where to fit on the 90min cassette didnt seem tedious. At the time, at least).

Not all stage raiders got a kind response — but look how Garrett lays down the law to the over-enthusiastic security dude.

Number one song for me is Wedding Cake Island, still gets a high rotation on my playlists. Others that I’ll always listen to in full when they come on are:
Short Memory.
Put down that weapon.
Scream in Blue.
Others I like, but these still hold me 'till the end.

Armistice Day is a weird song, and I don't know where to put it. Not rapt with B2 6, but not sure anywhere else is better.

Hell yes.

I used to make mixed tapes all the time. Great fun. (Even working out the song lengths and which needed to be where to fit on the 90min cassette didnt seem tedious. At the time, at least).

Me too, making cassettes like that was a painstaking labour of love.

Posted on Oils Facebook page two hours ago:

We wanted you to be the first to know that the five of us are planning to do some gigs in Australia and overseas during 2017. It will probably be at least the end of this year before we know exactly where or when - but if you want to be first to hear about any dates, head over to bit.ly/MidnightOilMailingList and sign up to the mailing list. You can grab your free download of ‘Forgotten Years’ live from Canberra while you’re there and catch up on some other big news too. Hope to see you soon … from Bones, Jim, Martin, Peter and Rob.

■■■ ■■■ ■■■

http://www.maxtv.com.au/news/midnight-oil-reform.aspx

Going.
The way this year has been, Peter Garret will die if I don’t.